Discuss Test failed due to missing RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What younare actually saying is that you are willing to lower your standards and cut corners in order to make a few quid.

That right there is a cowboy approach to any trade.
I am not quite sure what the point, or inference of this comment is, but if that's the best you can do then I can't see much point in continuing to be honest. I'm out.

Retrospective improvements to old installations should be based on a cost vs risk assessment - circa £30 for an RCD sounds like a sensible cost given the significant risk reduction it achieves as a result. However, I don’t believe the installation should have failed in the first instance.

You may have been miss-led but I don’t believe you have been ripped-off.

Retrospective improvements to old installations should be based on a cost vs risk assessment - circa £30 for an RCD sounds like a sensible cost given the significant risk reduction it achieves as a result. However, I don’t believe the installation should have failed in the first instance.

You may have been miss-led but I don’t believe you have been ripped-off.
Sounds good, but....
What use is an improvement that doesn’t comply?

No. What the Regulations are stating is that an installation installed to an earlier Edition may not necessarily be unsafe. We can take this to mean that this isn't referring to damage etc. - it's referring to an installation actually complying with an earlier Edition. Therefore the Regulations are clearly stating that it may or may not be unsafe - this must be determined.

It isn't unsafe because it complies with an earlier Edition - it may, however, be unsafe (or less safe than it should be) due to some of the things which have been done which now aren't considered acceptable or even considered now to be unsafe.
No Risteard, what it means, is that an installation doesn’t require upgrading just because it doesn’t comply with new requirements.

I don’t know, people talk about living in the real world, but they’re too blind to see the real world.
New Regulations don’t just pop into existence the day they're issued.
If something in the current Regulations is found to be unsafe, it would be negligent of the IET to wait until the next edition is published to inform us.
It would be doubly negligent to then tell us we don’t have to comply for six months after the new edition has been issued.
To then tell us we can continue to install an installation after the new edition has come into force, simply because it was designed before the new edition came into force would be criminally negligent.
No one can say an installation is safe, without first inspecting it.
An installation designed and constructed to the current Regulations is not necessarily safe, even if it complied at the time of construction.
Why you should think that anyone would treat an installation constructed to an earlier edition differently beggars belief.

What I suggest you do, is not try to interpret the Regs, not try to skew their meaning to suit your own particular view, just take them as written.

No Risteard, what it means, is that an installation doesn’t require upgrading
Do you actually not know the difference between "doesn't require" and "doesn't necessarily require"?

The repetition and incorrect assertions are becoming boring.

It is this type of lazy approach to sparking that bothers me. Itnis not a given fact that just installing RCDs ‘make it safer’.

The ‘RCD everything’ approach without no design or thought behind it is not what we ahould be doing. We could just say ‘wire everything in SWA makes it safer’. Why do we not do this? Because we need to ise our skill and interpretation to determine if these extra precautions are actually needed.

In this instance a safe installation has been made less safe by installing an ‘up-front’ RCD which is not to Regs.

i wouldn't say it was less safe, but the inconvenience of 1 out, all out , is not compliant with current regs. ( loss of all lighting, freezers etc., due to an unrelated fault). reason that i split our garage feed from a non-RCD way on a hi-integrity CU ( 3 freezers and fridges. outside socket is RCD socket.).

Hi All
Recently joined the forum to ask for some information.
I recently bought a flat to let. I was advised by the letting agent to get the electrics tested, although not a legal requirement. The test was carried out by their electrical contractor. He failed the test due to the fuse board not having an RCD fitted. The fuse board is the original board fitted in 2003 when the flats where built. There has been no mods or circuits added to the system and everything is working as it should. I paid £348.00 for the test and the RCD to be installed. I have since been told that the test should not have failed due to the lack of the RCD. Have I been stitched up.
Any comments gratefully recieved

Peter
Hi Peter
I haven't read all of the posts on here so please excuse if this has been covered already.
I'm fairly sure it is indeed a legal requirement on change of user to have inspection carried out.
The code should be C3 for no rcd for socket outlets.C3 for no rcd on bathroom circuits and C3 for no rcd for circuits with buried cables.
The cost of the I.R. is about right slightly cheap if anything...The price for the 1 rcd (plus presumably an installation cert or minor works cert to cover this) Was a little cheeky. Just make sure you get ALL the paperwork.

its not even like the guy can say that the fuseboard is in a packed understair cupboard, looks like it is high level and in the hallway?

This has turned into a farce.
Firstly unless the original flat is ground floor a code 3 would be appropriate for lack of RCD protection to any circuit.... unless SB is not in place in bathrooms , that and lack of additional protection to sockets which may supply equipment outdoors would warrant a code 2.
The only issue here is that as a remedial measure the electrician has introduced another non-compliance, which should itself warrant a code 3.
It has been said that some would not even mention an up front 30ma RCD on an EICR. A recent ground floor flat that I tested had just that, and I gave it a code 2 as the flat was occupied by an elderly lady and the CU was out of reach at ceiling level.

This has turned into a farce.
Firstly unless the original flat is ground floor a code 3 would be appropriate for lack of RCD protection to any circuit.... unless SB is not in place in bathrooms , that and lack of additional protection to sockets which may supply equipment outdoors would warrant a code 2.
The only issue here is that as a remedial measure the electrician has introduced another non-compliance, which should itself warrant a code 3.
It has been said that some would not even mention an up front 30ma RCD on an EICR. A recent ground floor flat that I tested had just that, and I gave it a code 2 as the flat was occupied by an elderly lady and the CU was out of reach at ceiling level.
Some members on here have not taken into account that there could be a whole range of different occupiers.

I think the IET have totally forgotten about

K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid

The problem with the IET is that Engineers write this carp, Engineers proof read this Carp and Joe Public and the sparking community adopt different interpretations.

Is having a single RCD that never gets tested safer than not having any RCD at all?
Is having a single RCD that never gets tested safer than having separate RCBOs that never get tested?
If RCDs are so much safer, why are they no an option for cables above ceilings and below floors?
presumably because above ceilings and below floors, the cables have been installed deep enough to not be subject to nail or screw penetration.

Reply to Test failed due to missing RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net