Discuss The worst install ever (maybe?) in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Here is the update as promised.
I did take on board the many comments made on this thread, as I have pointed out it is all very complex, anyway, called the company in question and spoke to the MD about my concerns, the top row of panels (landscape) were fitted temporary as they had to be moved from the garden, my comment was "well I would have put them back in the van if they needed to be moved".
Our conversation was very civil, although he was surprised that I had gained access to this area that is hidden from view.
There is a special framework being made to overcome all of the problems, and should be installed this week.
What is strange about all of this is one of the people involved in the installation site is responsible for the Health and Safety, even though they know nothing about Solar PV or roof structures had already told me they were happy with the install.
My take on this is; it should have never been left like this at all, deadline or not, it is plainly not safe and against many regulations.
So I have done the best I can, and I have spoken up, and it is going to be rectified.
I look forward to quoting against this company in the future..
So that is me done for this thread (I hope)
Regards to all.

Not that it matters , and i agree they should not be named on here at least !
But was the offending company one that posts on the forum or not , as i am sure their are a few on here probably jumping to the wrong assumptions for possibly no reason ?

P.s I think you have handled this one very well as it could have been a very tricky one to get involved in by the sounds of it !

Interesting thread ,at least things are being resolved for the customer although it could just as easily be a case of the temporary install ''it'll be alright for a week or so'' could have caused damage or even injury to someone and as someone posted should have been taken down ,we've all been to jobs where the surveyor has made errors and had to work around problems .

Personally I'm not the whistle blowing type , although I think the argument sways towards it as it makes people conscious of what they do and is intended to raise standards , I've heard too many people say the usual comments like'' can't see it from my house'' etc and then boast that they are the best around, this is a reflection on the culture , training and general attitude to many so called tradesmen nowadays .
I have made a call once or twice in extreme circumstances, but if done in a fair way which gives the company chance to rectify things it is the right thing to do, if they don't respond then they don't deserve to profit from poor work what ever the reasons .

The so called Pv police well, when the governing bodies we all belong to and pay fees to don't react, then someone should as some of these jobs will inevitably damage the industry sooner or later, which all morals aside directly affects our livelihoods .
btw it wasn't me !.

After all that drama and passion no video on youtube of the MCS police kicking in doors and taking the bad installer away to jail...come on earthstore you can do better than this...

Just before the December deadline I noticed an installation in our village that voided the warranty. I agonized for ages about whether to tell the customer or not and dithered so long I didn't do anything. Co-incidentally we're installing in another nearby village and they know the people in the house concerned. They had expressed concern about whether their friends' panels would stay on such a high roof with the wind we have locally and this gave me the opportunity to suggest that if they weren't sure to have it checked by the other company. Fingers crossed that should sort it out and the roof kit will be re-fitted to meet warranty requirements. We all rushed towards the deadline and using sub-contractors as this firm do does leave the possibility of a rush job.

Well handled Earthstore, a difficult dilemna when H & S is involved.

As before, I am easilly traceable through my profile. I have no problem being accountable for what I say.

P.S.
I didn't spend 23 years in the army learning flower arranging!:83:

:6:
indeedy!
my 11 year old has taken up kick boxing. I'm waiting for him to think he can have a pop at his old man:dizzy2:

Last edited by a moderator:
theatre 009.jpgtheatre 010.jpgtheatre 011.jpg
Well, here you go, they now have a new mounting system, which is ballasted at the top end, I could nit pick on several points, but as I said before, I am not the PV police.
Shame they left the panel in pic 3 so dirty though.

Reply to The worst install ever (maybe?) in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net