Discuss Today in the Wholesalers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

So there I was minding my own business when I became aware that a customer was asking the salesman what he could buy to join pieces of SWA together.......

I'm quite well known in there so the sales chap asked my opinion - so I asked what he needed to do...... run 20 metres of swa to run a new welder. So I asked why didn't he simply buy a new cable - to which he said I ain't got money, so I have to join 8 or 9 pieces ..... so I said it'll probably be cheaper for a new piece.... so he muttered something under his breath and went on and bought loads of 30A choc block and insulation tape

Wonder when the fire brigade will be called!

must be a plumber or a farmer ( the latter are always pleading poverty when blocking the road with their brand new john deere's).

Eugh....
I wonder which skip/street lighting run/etc that lot of 8 or 9 pieces was "rescued" from?
Reminds me...could do with getting around at somepoint to renewing the supply cable to the old mans workshop...the "spark" (who electrocuted himself not long after) buried a run of 6mm2 T+E in white plastic conduit...not ideal but the ground it crosses is monoblocked...
Needless to say....had "fun" sorting out the various mistakes (2003 install - no RCD protection the outside socket (or anywhere else in the workshop) 2.5mm2 radial on a 32amp breaker (easy enough to sort...ran another length of 2.5 and made it into a ring, metalclad accessories not earthed at all and more....dubious ideas...

Lol - t+e is bad enough in choccy's but i can honestly say i've never come across SWA in choccy's as a joint lol - wonder whats going to happen to the armouring, maybe he'll try and twist them together lol

holy cow. the lengths some folk will go to to save a few quid... SMH
and just look at how many threads on T&E subs get started in here by these types and then when they are told SWA is the cable of choice in most scenareos they at first go into denial mode...then when that doesn`t wash they have a tantrum...

And you want to say to the chap behind the counter 'No, don't sell him that' and you feel like an accessory to the crime for not wrenching the offending articles out of his hand. I heard some chap talking about a washer/dryer and saw him leave the shop with a coil of 1.0 T&E, a box of Tower clips, a 13A plug and a roll of PVC tape. Happens all the time everywhere and half the perpetrators would have you know they're fully qualified!

Now year's ago, that would probably have happened. Wholesaler refusing to sell when the outcome is going to be dangerous.

Now'a'days wholesalers won't give a flying duck because they're making a quick buck. This country has serious moral issues.

It used to be that you couldn't get served in a wholesalers unless you were part of the trade. Nowadays we have to queue behind women with a couple of kids in tow.

The other week somebody asked me to install a machine for him,it needed a 35 mm feed and also a new DB in the building,I told him this and he said his mate who was a spark but busy said it could run on a 2.5 and there was a cable outside to connect into.I looked outside and there was a 150mm swa feeding the workshop next door.I told him I was too busy and it would need to be done my way not the way his mate said,he decided to wait for his mate!

Now year's ago, that would probably have happened. Wholesaler refusing to sell when the outcome is going to be dangerous.

Now'a'days wholesalers won't give a flying duck because they're making a quick buck. This country has serious moral issues.

Pretty sure the wholesalers were trained back then too (often retired sparks). Problem is they don't know what is dangerous now!!

It's what I think when I walk around all the DIY stores see a variety of folk picking random bits up on the 'electrical' isle with befuddled looks on their faces. I personally think those stores shouldn't sell to anyone but those qualified.

Reply to Today in the Wholesalers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net