Discuss Tools stolen from Renault Kangoo in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Poshspark

Hi I had my tools stolen from my Renault Kangoo yesterday in London, if you have a kangoo pre 08 model the back door lock is rubbish they broke the whole handle and lock off with out even damaging the metal work of the back door. The most annoying thing I was only 10 meters away behind the front door changing a switch didn't hear a thing as there were two floor sanders going in the house at the same time. I was in and out the van all day I was last in it only 10 minutes before hand. I lost a Makita multi tool 3 weeks old(not paid for yet) Makita sds core drill plus some other things. I ask my self who buys stolen tools?

Heart-breaking mate,i genuinely feel your pain.Lost £13500 worth of gear plus vehicle a few years ago and was only 30 meters away at the time.Police told me 6 other Transits went the same night so possibly van was target and me gear was a bonus... Have made a stubborn point of not buying hooky gear over the years for one simple reason,IF you buy it,you HAVE to take it on the chin when yours walks. Hope you keep the faith and fortify your van to the point of sadness,its the only way! All the best,

£13500 that is some kit (was some kit) I live out in the country so van security Isn't much of a problem I only went to London for a customers daughter. When I looked around at all the other vans on the way home I noticed loads of these securely plates over the locks. I am thinking of one of these sliding drawers for my power tools. A word of advice make sure you photo copy all your receipts for your tools , note down all serial numbers take photos of your tools and keep them in a file it makes your insurance claim much faster and easier.

horrible to hear, thieving gets!
years ago working in Manchester shopfitting i used to get offered power tools all the time, always sent em packing! we had a Renault traffic with external locks fitted by renault, you had to hold the key in while opening the door and they stayed locked even when you pressed the unlock button on the fob, the front windows got smashed twice at night parked at B&B's and stuff, but they never got in the back.

Sorry to hear your bad news.
Had mine done outside Wickes a couple of years ago and lost £1200 of tools including a new Fluke 1653 and all my manuals. Since then have fitted a couple of Heavy Duty Van Locks and Hasps from Toolstation ( £21 each ) and not had any further problems. Try your local Boot sales, there always seem to be 2nd hand tools for sale at them.

I seen a 110 snatch Landrover on ebay last night, ex-army , fully refurbished then stored before disposal.....Armoured and blast resistant, not good enough in battle areas anymore due to shaped chges but ideal for a spark vehicle......would love to see it with a stick on magnetic sign with a sparks logo and "the only thing you will get from this vehicle is this sticker".........3.5 Tons, anti theft devices, anti hijack devices, fire extinguisher system... too heavy to tow away without a Lorry of the type used to move diggers about, even too heavy for what the council have......and angular plates can be fitted that will cut through tow lifting gear using the landrovers own weight.... would need a crane and chains with hooks.... fit an alarm system linked up to a smoke deluge unit........ only thing not allowed is the "electric" door handles.... £3000 on the nose......that's about the price of replacing a small tool kit.......well worth it

I never buy any tools from outside of a shop or wholesaler .......would rather do without......I have had my tools stolen a few times, am usually very careful but they are sneaky.....have caught someone on site pinching my tools once, they got aggressive when I walked in on them after tea and stood and looked at them ... I was on a site in Glasgow centre once and seen somebody cycling back and forth every 5 minutes or so on the pavement next to it for about 3 days all day long which I thought was strange, I told everybody to watch their tools... I was going into site first thing in the morning one day when they were going round unlocking all the containers to let people in to their tools, saw somebody jog up to the site, ran past me when I was about 15m from the open gate, they grabbed the Heras fence and jumped straight over in one go in about 2 seconds they were over like a professional athlete....I went in the front gate as fast as I could and shouted everybody that somebody had jumped the fence, there was a mad rush round by everybody and there were tools missing....2 brand new drills in boxes that belonged to 2 of the sparks on site (not company tools) complete in their cases with batteries and chargers...they had taken them and been gone in seconds...after that we fitted networked dome cctv cameras all over site linked to a security company on a 24 hour watch and people started taking their tools home every night...

Last edited:
When I lived in Glasgow the vans would get broken in to regularly fortunaly ours only got done once they punched holes around the back lock then turned the whole lock. But now that I live in the country side in oxfordshire van security hasent been so much of an issue. Now wishing I had taken all my power tools into the house & had a alarm on the back door.

my van has alarm and dead locks and never leave my tools in it, just aint worth it, only 5 - 10 mins to unload every night. its ur livelyhood at the end of the day.

my van has alarm and dead locks and never leave my tools in it, just aint worth it, only 5 - 10 mins to unload every night. its ur livelyhood at the end of the day.

I would but

1. My tools are only insured in my van
2. I have no room in my house to keep them, at least in the van they are also out of site.

How much did you have to pay extra for your kit to be insured in your van? I'd imagine it'd be a hell of a lot.
my pl insurance is due next month and for a extra 50 odd quid they'll cover my tools but only from 6 am till 9 pm, I'm considering having that cover. If my van did get broke into I'd just make sure it was between them hours

Hi I am fortunate enough to have a garage so my van goes in it every night with my car parked in front of it but my van got done at 3:00 in the afternoon in London I have only been there 8 days in the last 8 years since I got my van. My public liability insurance has tool cover as well it costs £238 per year total with £150 excess so well worth the money as I don't have a spare £1500 to replace what was lost.

I got a Van Vault. Its bolted to the van floor.

Its a lovely yellow secure box that Burglar Bill can see if he peers through the back windows of the van.

will be getting my van soon, you might think this is over the top but i will be building a cage inside so in effect its like a police van and then putting a pager alarm on it so if the liitle theiving gits do break in they then have to get through the cage,hopefully by that time i can get back to the van

Reply to Tools stolen from Renault Kangoo in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net