Discuss Tree lights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all.

My client wants to have a set of Christmas tree type lights in one of her small trees in the garden. She wants these lights to stay in all year round. It's easy enough to find IP rated lights but then the plug needs to be plugged in indoors. I need to to find a solution where the plug stays outdoors?

I have thought of an outdoor socket which allows the cover to be closed with the plug in it but in this case the client already has the lights and the plug which incorporates the transformer is too large. I'm guessing this would be the same for all similar type lights anyway?

Any ideas?

Yup.

TLC, I think sell a small enclosure which contains a 2 way plastic socket. Connect this to some outdoor grade flex and add a standard 13A plug to go into the standard ip rated socket.

They are made by Timeguard

Like this

WP23L BG.jpg

Evening all.

My client wants to have a set of Christmas tree type lights in one of her small trees in the garden. She wants these lights to stay in all year round. It's easy enough to find IP rated lights but then the plug needs to be plugged in indoors. I need to to find a solution where the plug stays outdoors?

I have thought of an outdoor socket which allows the cover to be closed with the plug in it but in this case the client already has the lights and the plug which incorporates the transformer is too large. I'm guessing this would be the same for all similar type lights anyway?

Any ideas?
IP rated enclosure

And what certificate will be issued for an outdoor socket installation?
Will it be an FCU off a current ring or direct back to the CU so a new circuit anyway? If that ring isn't RCD protected then it will need to have an RCD as its garden.

And what certificate will be issued for an outdoor socket installation?
Will it be an FCU off a current ring or direct back to the CU so a new circuit anyway? If that ring isn't RCD protected then it will need to have an RCD as its garden.
A suitable certificate. Who knows. It will if the supply to the fairy lights has a socket or the cable is in a wall.....blar blar (but I would outside regardless IMO).

Complications where there are none . An rcd socket( if needed) in the type of enclosure(as mentioned) that accepts the transformer that has been previously measured , so there are no surprises.

But if the RCD is in the socket in the outside enclosure what of the cable run to the socket if the feed to it isn't already RCD protected?
Its possible the hole can be punched directly behind the socket to have no outside cabling exposed. But then the inside cabling has to be compliant of course.

In Wales Gardens are still considered Special Installations so that would be notifiable anyway.

Last edited:
Many thanks for all the replies chaps, plenty to choose from! I'll certainly take a look at the BG nexus socket!

But if the RCD is in the socket in the outside enclosure what of the cable run to the socket if the feed to it isn't already RCD protected?
Its possible the hole can be punched directly behind the socket to have no outside cabling exposed. But then the inside cabling has to be compliant of course.

In Wales Gardens are still considered Special Installations so that would be notifiable anyway.

My client has paid to have their house and garden classed as it's own country and they have specifically stated in their constitution that RCD's are not required.. basically I'd be going against the human rights of that country to install an RCD.

Use the BG Nexus Storm WP23L large outside socket box that is designed to accept transformers and the socket can be moved up and down depending on whether the transformer is above the socket or below the socket.

Richard, I'm disappointed. I expect nothing but absolute perfection from your responses and you haven't made the 'BG Nexus Storm WP23L' into a link, you have just casually written it in and expected me to copy and paste it into a search engine. It's a slippery slope... :)

I gather from another thread that as long as its his own home anything goes anyway. No need to go the whole independent nation route.

Reply to Tree lights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net