Discuss Trunking and pipe in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hello starting new job on Monday, some will say a proper sparks job instead of facility maintenance. This job involves trunking and pipe which I little experience in installing.. I've told the guy this and he said long as you don't ask what's a running coupler etc. so feel fine. But anytime I installed pipe or trunking it was minimal as we just tapping off or adding on ..

any tips I'm all ears .. Was considering buying 18v angle grinder to at least speed up on cutting trunking . I their a certain disk type to buy, think I heard someone say the real thin ones are best, wee link.. Thx

cordless grinder is awesome for steel containment work , i wouldnt be without mine.

1mm inox / stainless steel discs are the most suitable.

learning to work out cutting angles in your head is the next step to working fast with tray / trunking.

Hi,

I may be old fashioned but I always use a Hacksaw for cutting trunking, nice accurate cut and quick clean with a file and you're away. Some people use Earthing links, some don't ; if you're not sure what's required put them in. Are you using manufacturer's bends or preforming them yourself?
When you get to the cabling stage I always like to cut some plastic tube or similar, just to hold the cables in place and they help to stop the lid buttons from trapping the cables.
As for the tube work, I'm afraid it's experience here that counts. I believe there is a sticky somewhere with reference to bending tube, maybe one of the other posters can remember where it is.Finally , use a good pipe vice , there is nothing worse than seeing a gouge on your surface conduit, it ain't professional.

Regards.

if you have never done trunking or conduit i wouldnt start with a grinder for the trunking as said its a lot quicker but takes a while to perfect , start off with a hacksaw or even a jigsaw with metal blade

I use a grinder for trunking and tray, but I learnt to use a hacksaw first.
Personally a jigsaw is not as neat, unless you're very skilled using it.

Conduit is something that is best taught by someone who knows what they're doing, if you can bend and set to measure, it saves you a lot of time and materials.

For making bends in trunking and tray, buy a protractor it will give you perfect results.

buy a decent full size hacksaw with 32TPI blades. put the blade in the right way round and remember it cuts only on the forward stroke, so don't go ragging at it like i see some of the youngsters doing.

The most efficient way to cut is a) get somebody else to get to do it, b) use the full length of the blade. Sticking your finger out along the side of the saw will help to keep it steady.

The most efficient way to cut is a) get somebody else to get to do it, b) use the full length of the blade. Sticking your finger out along the side of the saw will help to keep it steady.

or get you a meeting with some pretty nurses at A&E.

funny, that. i've always used left thumb alongside the blade to guide the blade at start of cutting, both with metal and wood. never drawn blood yet.

me too, then gentle pressure on forward stroke, release on drawback, us most of the blade length. and of course, the golden rule... measure twice, cut once.

I'm with the grinder way of thinking, I wouldn't use a hacksaw anymore but each to there own. And one thing I would add is I know everyone loves there cordless gear but I'd take a decent 110 grinder with you as it does kill the batteries pretty quickly. Good luck with your bubble sets they can be a bit tricky to get to grips with. I think you should put a pic up of your first go no cheating and tweaking it. Your genuine first effort. Good luck

Reply to Trunking and pipe in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net