Discuss Upgrading a 3 gang switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Peter J

DIY
Reaction score
I am replacing a 3 gang switch with a modern one. All the wires going into the switch are the same colour. I have labelled which port each wire came from (eg L1 top left) but L1 L2 etc do not correspond with the new switch (L22 L31 etc). Advice gratefully received.

Attachments

• IMG-20230405-WA0002.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-20230405-WA0004.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 15
On your old switch, what is normally called 'common' (COM) is labelled L1.
So the red straps connecting L1's on the old switch go between COM's on the new. Plus the wires that were originally connected there.

L and L2 correspond to L11 and L12 on the new switch. And so on for the next switch L22 and L22 etc.
If you get L11 and L12 the wrong way round it won't do any harm but the switch will be reversed, eg up for on and down for off!

If you look at the position of the holes, after turning one of the switches the other way up, you'll see the holes are in the same configuration, so just transfer the wires appropriately.

Reply to Upgrading a 3 gang switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi I want to add a light to my attic. There is a single switch on the landing that I want to change to a double switch and then use it to still...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm replacing standard light switches in my hall and landing with touch switches (not smart, just touch on/off) like these from Amazon...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am looking to install a Quinetic double gang in line receiver switch (QURS2W) in my hallway on the ground floor to control the lights...
Replies
Views
Hi I am trying to replace my old white light switches for nice chrome ones but the wires are all red but the new switch has only l1 l2 top and...
Replies
Views
I threw away an old knackered light switch and now need to replace it. It had 4 terminals (L1, L2, L3, L4) and is fed by two blue and two red...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock