Discuss Use of tie wraps and bunching conductors in DB's in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

CT13

-
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am told that this is no longer permissible under the 17th edition or one of its amendments. This argument seems to have been going on for some time now.

I have the red book but not the amended editions and have not found a specific regulation relating to it there. Of course, I understand it could be an interpretation of another regulation not specifically relating to distribution boards.

If someone could shed a little light that would be great.

Last edited:
Before we go down that route, can we clarify you do not have or know the amendments since the red book?

Are you a practicing Electrician or under the instruction of one who does not posses any of the amendments since the red book?

If either answer is yes to the above then why are you doing the work without knowledge of the latest regulations, since the red books, there has been a lot of additions and changes including in the new Yellow book coming into force in just over a month the permitted Zs values ..all of which are crucial to be competent and write of your work...

Please correct me if I'm going down the wrong path of thought here.

I have asked one specific question, let's not make the assumption that I am carrying out work without an adequate working knowledge of the regulations.

I am aware that the 'yellow' 3rd amendment published January, comes into force on the 1st of July and that there are changes to the maximum permissible Zs values.

I would add that I have both the first and second amendment OSG's which I refer to regularly.

Last edited:
darkwood, I agree with your comments, not only this, the fact that the OP appears not to own a green or even a yellow book is suggestive that he is not part of a scheme, so that then makes me think is he going to be changing a consumer unit without notification or is he planning on paying LABC a large sum... Just airing my thoughts.

Are you a practicing Electrician or under the instruction of one who does not posses any of the amendments since the red book?

If either answer is yes to the above then why are you doing the work without knowledge of the latest regulations, since the red books, there has been a lot of additions and changes including in the new Yellow book coming into force in just over a month the permitted Zs values ..all of which are crucial to be competent and write of your work

From the defensive answer and a post, I can only presume he is a practising electrician without up to date regs books and not in a scheme based on a post he made in Septembee 2009.

"Over the last couple of years I have studied reasonably hard and passed my City & Guilds 2330 L2, 2392, 2383 & 2391."

Reading my question I can see how how you could misinterpret, the wording was unfortunate. To be honest I was just wanting to raise of topic of conversation on which there seem to be mixed views.

Of course I didn't intend to say that I shut the 'red book' and didn't bother to inform myself thereafter on any of its amendments

I can see this is going nowhere, thanks for your time anyway.

Last edited:
Please confirm if you own a green or a yellow book in addition to the red book?

I own copies (when I say copies, I do not intend counterfeit) of the 1st and 2nd amendment on site guides. I have access to the full regulations for reference purposes. I will buy the 3rd amendment BS in due course. I have not been able to find a definitive answer to a particular query that's it.

Last edited:
I own copies (when I say copies, I do not intend counterfeit) of the 1st and 2nd amendment on site guides. I have access to the full regulations for reference purposes. I will buy the 3rd amendment BS in due course. I have not been able to find a definitive answer to a particular query that's it.

I've detailed the publications I own above. I also have some other industry relevant books not mentioned

Thanks for for the information.

I appreciate that MDJ but it just came across like he only has a red book....
I think you are right, he has mentioned he has the later on site guides, I also think he is hiding something because his posts suggest so, that said his question still has not been answered, I know the answer, but I am hoping there is still some other sparks still on the forum to take the load off me lol, the way it is going we are very few and far between now.

#10 is my contribution to the tie wraps, the answer is going to be in the BYB in grouping factors etc somewhere, but doubt that there's a section about using cable ties in a CU.

maybe if I signed up for the online editions of the regs it would be easy to find stuff as you could just search for a word...

cable tying does make for a neat job, but it's a bugger to trace the cables and there's also the fact that heat loss is hampered.

I don't understand what it is that I could be trying to hide to be honest. The short fall is that I only have the latter OSG's at home which don't contain the required detail.

MDJ and whoever might be interested in answering the original question, don't bother. I'm quite happy for it to fade into obscurity here and now.

I'll focus elsewhere.

I understand the considerations for grouping, heat loss, aesthetics, practicality/good practice but it seems no one on here knows of a specific regulation (or interpretation) which guides against. Maybe that's why I never found it.

This should help to settle a discussion I had the other day, thank you.

Reply to Use of tie wraps and bunching conductors in DB's in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net