Discuss What a mess!!!!!!!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You're right what a mess reminds me when I was a Q.S. for the last company I worked for with washing lines of flex across airing cupboard Boss seemed to think that I was too picky. The pump and tank stat can be reflexed however the Honeywell valves are pre-flexed and can only be extended .Have you got a wider photo to see all of the airing cupboard cables ?Can you reroute the cables anywhere defiantly as posted above if mounted on floor IP adaptable box with compression glands at least.

You're right what a mess reminds me when I was a Q.S. for the last company I worked for with washing lines of flex across airing cupboard Boss seemed to think that I was too picky. The pump and tank stat can be reflexed however the Honeywell valves are pre-flexed and can only be extended .Have you got a wider photo to see all of the airing cupboard cables ?Can you reroute the cables anywhere defiantly as posted above if mounted on floor IP adaptable box with compression glands at least.
Once I'm finished, the only thing on the floor will be an ip rated jb to extend the 3core+e cables, and possibly the pump cable (the rest will reach the new location), and then the equivalent of what is on the floor now will be outside the box.

if it's only been fitted a few months ago, complain and get the cowboys back to do a decent job.
The plumbers who did the boiler change did not do any of the electrics shown in the picture, they were done about 10 years ago when the house was built. But they put in the filter. I did get a gas safe certificate from the install.

I would use regular junction boxes to extend any cables that need to be extended and take them all into an adaptable box of some sort. 2-3 flex glands in the side of the box will get all the cables inside nicely and then use some connectors/wagos/din rail connectors to terminate everything.
No need to extend them using IP rated boxes.. you could go on for ever saying 'what if the cylinder leaks'.
I think members are saying IP boxes not for this reason but they can be drilled and compression glands can be fitted regular junction boxes are ok but the cable going into it would need to be secured.

Thanks for all the replies and advice, I'll go ahead and change it as it's really messy, and also I have had a look at the terminations inside, and a lot of them don't look very good!

or could just wrap the box up in 2 layers of metallic duct tape. if there's a poor connection inside, this will keep water out and stop the electricity escaping. :mad:

It's not good having a big connection box like that with no strain relief on the cables. Once someone moves it out of the way to clean the Magna flow there's a lot of strain on the connections inside, especially with most of them being solid core cable.
It should be either fixed to the wall and the cables clipped (probably not enough room), or replaced with something with strain relief for the cables.
As above, no point going to the extremes of making it IP rated.

Can't you just leave it where it is and tidy it up? Or maybe locate it in a position where cable extension is not required?
I'm not a personal fan of extending cables unless its absolutely necessary.

Yes agreed it isn't great. But what poses more of a risk. Leaving it as it is or an unqualified person without sufficient knowledge relocating it?? I know which I believe poses more of a risk.

Reply to What a mess!!!!!!!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net