Discuss What is happening today with all these COWBOY Electricians? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not all that have done short courses are cowboys, so just haven't got the time to spend two years at college
None of us are saying that Bill. What we are saying is that some are kicked out of the training centres 5 weeks later and think they're qualified.
There are some "graduates" of these courses that realise they still need to learn a lot then go and make sure they know it, it's them who earn a bit of respect

Not all that have done short courses are cowboys, so just haven't got the time to spend two years at college

Not cowboys, just inexperienced in many cases and not skilled in the various areas needed to work in peoples' homes. How often do we have to carry out carpentry, chasing, plastering, board lifting, plus a host of other jobs essential to "just doing domestic"?
Every day is the answer.

Not cowboys, just inexperienced in many cases and not skilled in the various areas needed to work in peoples' homes. How often do we have to carry out carpentry, chasing, plastering, board lifting, plus a host of other jobs essential to "just doing domestic"?
Every day is the answer.

it ain't rocket science like, ive always been good at diy so it came easy not all are as up on it

What you also have to take into consideration is the people who post questions on here some of witch are trying to improve themselves an standard of work, just think about the ones that don't even bother to research something they just don't care!

What you also have to take into consideration is the people who post questions on here some of witch are trying to improve themselves an standard of work, just think about the ones that don't even bother to research something they just don't care!

Oh there's plenty come on here simply because of that.....they can't get it to work.

Just seen another MCB tripping on lights. Clearly LN fault and would rather post on here than get his b****y tester out of his van.
even if he ain't a spark how hard is it to disconnect all cables in 1 lighting point and see if that trips then work that way till they find the fault.

yes this is the cowboy way but there's another cowboy

Why spend money on an apprentice when there are 18 day courses to send someone on, followed by minimum wage "because they're lucky to have a job"?
It's more than a shame, it's a disgrace.
It's no wonder these inexperienced guys just "give it a go" in peoples' homes, and charge what they can get away with. Afterall, there's always a forum to fall back on....
Maybe the people who endorse the quick courses should employ these guys in their own homes.
well...i was talking about this to the part p assessor today....
and he was in agreement that these 5 week courses should go....

Right then, well i'm almost ashamed to say it but i am one of these Electrical Trainee guy's.

About 6 years ago the job i was in was going nowhere so needed a new career path. Wanted to get a trade so i decided to do a 5 week course to get qualified. The course was OK i guess, it's the bit at the end where they tell you that you are qualified electrician and able to go out on your own! Not a chance, i'm glad i chose a different route. I chose to go out and work for an experienced electrician who needed an apprentice. Learnt more from him in the first few day's than i did from the entire course. Gained so much experience from the 4 & a bit years i worked with him and also went to college again for more training, also studying the reg's and understanding electricity. He also taught me a respect for the trade and to take pride in what i do.
It was an invaluable experience to be honest. Christ, if i'd have listened to the lot on my course and just went out and had a go i think it would have been a short lived job. I'm just glad i realized these courses are not really to up it, and they are ultimately not a safe way to train people, nothing beats good old experience and knowledge. I fully understand why most of you on here hate the Electrical Trainee lad's. You've done your time and have the knowledge but are getting priced out by the cheap as chips ex-kitchen fitter, who five weeks ago had never even used his shiny new tester.

I'm just saying that some people who do these courses don't think they know it all straight away and realize that they can use it to go on and better themselves and they're understanding. But on the flipside you will get the one's who just don't have a clue, start up on their own and before you know it they are bodging things and scarpering. If somebody asked me today how to go about getting into the trade i would tell em to avoid these courses like the plague. They enable vastly under qualified people to think they are electricians. When they aint.

Anyway's *tin hat firmly on*

Sorry to bore you all, and i'm aware this isn't the most well written post, woeful at explaining things lol

I have worked in electrical and electronic engineering for (on and off) 30 years. I passed my 2377 today and even though its Friday I am sat here chewing through 2382. Next week I have a Minor Works course and I all I ever intend to do is take an FCU off or replace a luminaire. I think you are only a cowboy if you have a paint horse. Oh no....I have a paint horse

Right then, well i'm almost ashamed to say it but i am one of these Electrical Trainee guy's.

About 6 years ago the job i was in was going nowhere so needed a new career path. Wanted to get a trade so i decided to do a 5 week course to get qualified. The course was OK i guess, it's the bit at the end where they tell you that you are qualified electrician and able to go out on your own! Not a chance, i'm glad i chose a different route. I chose to go out and work for an experienced electrician who needed an apprentice. Learnt more from him in the first few day's than i did from the entire course. Gained so much experience from the 4 & a bit years i worked with him and also went to college again for more training, also studying the reg's and understanding electricity. He also taught me a respect for the trade and to take pride in what i do.
It was an invaluable experience to be honest. Christ, if i'd have listened to the lot on my course and just went out and had a go i think it would have been a short lived job. I'm just glad i realized these courses are not really to up it, and they are ultimately not a safe way to train people, nothing beats good old experience and knowledge. I fully understand why most of you on here hate the Electrical Trainee lad's. You've done your time and have the knowledge but are getting priced out by the cheap as chips ex-kitchen fitter, who five weeks ago had never even used his shiny new tester.

I'm just saying that some people who do these courses don't think they know it all straight away and realize that they can use it to go on and better themselves and they're understanding. But on the flipside you will get the one's who just don't have a clue, start up on their own and before you know it they are bodging things and scarpering. If somebody asked me today how to go about getting into the trade i would tell em to avoid these courses like the plague. They enable vastly under qualified people to think they are electricians. When they aint.

Sorry to bore you all, and i'm aware this isn't the most well written post, woeful at explaining things lol

Nowt wrong with wot your sayin, as I sed some people havent got the time to do college for 2 years i doubt they teach your much more than an intensive course anyway

thats the only way to do it imho through a college.

doing a similar thing atm, money is not great but the gaffer can keep us busy even if its not electrics so im happy for now till i gain more experience

I did a five week course a few years back just to be able to get a job I finally found one with an electrical engineer and as said before in other posts have learnt so much these last 6 years now I'm one year away from a degree in electrical engineering but my point is i had to do that course to Evan get a Job no one was willing to train me its a real shame no one takes on any apprentices any more but good news we have one now and I must say its bladdy hard work training a know it all 16 year old lad

Nowt wrong with wot your sayin, as I sed some people havent got the time to do college for 2 years i doubt they teach your much more than an intensive course anyway
If you think they can cram several years of study into a few days( because that's all that's spent on theory in Electrical Trainee school) then you're a fool.

Reply to What is happening today with all these COWBOY Electricians? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net