Discuss What is indicated by slow LED flashing on Ampy meter. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pdixon

-
Reaction score
Not sure if this is related to solar panels but..

I have an Ampy 5258k meter next to the consumer unit.

Before I had solar panels installed the LED on the meter would very briefly flash while using power.
After I had solar panels installed a few years ago, when there was no solar power it would do the same but when I generated more than I used the LED would be on the whole the time.

All ok so far, but recently I've noticed my electricity consumption has risen and I also noticed that when generating surplus solar power the LED is no longer on solid the whole time but, instead, it's flashing slowly, about 7 seconds on and 2 seconds off.

The solar panel inverter shows no problems.
The export meter appears to be operating as normal as if I'm exporting power.
But the meter next to the consumer unit is behaving differently.

Does anyone know what the slow flashing of the LED means?
Is there manual which describes this meter and its operation?

Thanks.

The red LED shows power consumption, it will flash at a rate proportional to your energy use.
If there is no energy use or reverse energy is being generated then the LED is solid red.
Because your LED was solid red before and is now flashing it indicates that solar energy is not reaching the meter.
As your export meter is working normally and so the solar system is generating this seems to indicate that there is a high powered device in use that is consuming all the solar generation.
Usually this is a heating device: electric shower, immersion heater, panel heater, kettle, oven, etc.
Try switching off individual circuits on your consumer unit (but not the solar one) when the sun is bright and see if one circuit causes the meter to revert to solid red.
Then you will know which circuit is consuming power.

Dave,
the FIT meter is still working as it always did.

Richard,
the flashing of the red LED is different.
It still briefly flashes 1000 times for every kWh I use.

But when I'm not using any power from the grid, as the solar panels are supplying it all, then the LED turns on and off every few seconds. Not the usual brief flash when I consume grid power and not the "always on" as it used to be when I export to the grid, but on for about 7s and off for about 2s.

There are no high power devices in use in the house.

I suspect the consumer unit meter is displaying a fault condition by the way it slowly flashes. I was hoping someone would recognise what the slow flashing means?

If there is a fault then usually the meter will go into shut down or at least display an error message on the screen.
There does not appear to be an alternative to full on or pulse per kWh for the LED display.
If you feel sure the meter is at fault then it would be best to call your supplier and advise them of the problem and they then may come out and install a check meter to see if yours is recording correctly.

Hi, how do you know "I'm not using any power from the grid, as the solar panels are supplying it all"
Do you have an immersion diverter, eg. Immersun?
it looks to me like the meter might be right and you might be right on the boundary of import/export... Some of the time exporting (meter led on solidly) and some of the time importing a little (led off but perhaps a very occasional short flash)

Gnarly,
thanks for the reply.

I know the solar is providing more than I'm using because the inverter tells me and the export meter is counting it and the values they show are way beyond any power consumption I have, other than when I have the oven or kettle on.

I can see how being right on the edge of export or import might do as you say for maybe a few minutes through the day but not for 14 hours a day continuously.

The 5258K is normally ok with PV and hasn't been added to the 'dodgy' list by the Association of Meter Operators - but it took 4 years and the threat of an FOI request to get them to draw that up, so I'm sure they would be slow to add any new cases.

It does sound odd - could it be that the export meter is fitted between the PV and your CU? I know it sounds dumb but I have seen it - most meter fitters have only the most basic of knowledge (or skills). This would skew your figures considerably.

Deffo, ask for a check meter to be fitted - and good luck with that request!

Where can I find a list of dodgy meters?

The meters I have must be installed properly as they worked for 2 years and they haven't been altered.

I thought the quick fix would be to get SSE to replace my meter with a Smart Meter as they'd offered me one last year.

It turns out I'm not eligible for a Smart Meter because the one's fitted by SSE can't handle Solar panels.
Looks like they aren't that smart after all.

Does anyone know where I can get information on the Ampy meter? There must be a guide out there somewhere which would tell me what it means when the LED flashes slowly.

Where can I find a list of dodgy meters?

See the two attachments. (I can't guarantee they are the latest editions.)

Slow flashes mean energy is passing through the meter slowly. Fast flashes mean energy is passing through quickly.

The direction of travel may be indicated by the acronym "RED" coming up on the screen. Or, ask an electrician to take the cover off and check the wiring arrangements.

View attachment Reverse meters Schedule 4..pdf.pdf.pdf
View attachment Reverse running meters..pdf.pdf.pdf

Reply to What is indicated by slow LED flashing on Ampy meter. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net