Discuss What is your hourly rate as a self employed electrician? (2023) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What is your hourly rate as a self employed electrician?

• <£20 p/hour

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • £20 - £24

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • £25 - £29

• £30 - £34

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • £35 - £39

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • £40 - £44

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • £45 - £49

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • £50 - £54

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • £55 - £59

• £60 - £64

• £65 - £69

• £70+

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Never respond . Make excuses and move on. Ive never ever price matched a lower quote
Hi Luke, I’d also add to your question that we say to the Client. “That’s fine that you’ve decided to go for the cheaper quote, but please feel free to contact us again if your not happy with their work or require any further help or advise”.

You’ll be surprised at the amount of return calls you get IF and when there chose contractors don’t produce the job expected as they were so cheap.

Then your on to a winner, as you’ve got to re-quote, somebody else’s work.

Also the Client that has seen on-line a much cheaper lamp, I.e LED GU10.

(after 4x weeks the lamps have failed and they’ve got to fork at the Labour/ Scaffold hire, etc to get back up to the 25ft+ Stairwell ceiling / chandelier 😂.

All for the sake that they saved pittance on buying cheaper imitation items from God knows where.!

They may have the BS/kite/ markings on them but….. IF it’s cheap, then there’s a reason why.!

Good luck.

Depends... if they are first time clients Then no point in wasting time . Ive even visited a possible job and within 5 mins just left .It was obvious it was all going to be hell . Then blocked their number . Life is too short

Hi Luke, I’d also add to your question that we say to the Client. “That’s fine that you’ve decided to go for the cheaper quote, but please feel free to contact us again if your not happy with their work or require any further help or advise”.

You’ll be surprised at the amount of return calls you get IF and when there chose contractors don’t produce the job expected as they were so cheap.

Then your on to a winner, as you’ve got to re-quote, somebody else’s work.

Also the Client that has seen on-line a much cheaper lamp, I.e LED GU10.

(after 4x weeks the lamps have failed and they’ve got to fork at the Labour/ Scaffold hire, etc to get back up to the 25ft+ Stairwell ceiling / chandelier 😂.

All for the sake that they saved pittance on buying cheaper imitation items from God knows where.!

They may have the BS/kite/ markings on them but….. IF it’s cheap, then there’s a reason why.!

Good luck.
This is where you end up coming in second, the client is already soured and you never know whats going to happen if something goes wrong with the work thats done and the client is not wanting you to pull it all out again. Its a dangerous minefield and I prefer fields of grass

This is where you end up coming in second, the client is already soured and you never know whats going to happen if something goes wrong with the work thats done and the client is not wanting you to pull it all out again. Its a dangerous minefield and I prefer fields of grass
Hi LukeD,

I do slightly agree with you, but rather than coming in 2nd as you won’t lower your price.
Your now the ‘Knight in shining armour’.

The real situation I was trying to relay, was that of an vacant property that we lost to a cheaper quote.

After my competitor had messed up, or had a falling out with the client,
(mainly as the originals Electrical firm were so cheap they possibly cut corners, to make money, or we’re relying on EXTRAS to make a profit).

We went in and suggested that the best, and cost affective result would be to rip out their efforts and run new.

I wouldn’t ever recommend trusting an Electrical Companies partial work having been removed from the job.

It’s cheaper for the client just to start again, rather than putting your name and reputation on some part of work that you’ve no idea what has been installed.

You definitely re QUOTE, and 9 of 10, clients just want the job done correctly and if possible within a deadline.

Your now in control, and dictate the job.

[this is private client house owners im talking about, not commercial].

The first thing the client asks is, will you be able to meet the original deadline as he’s got Tiler’s/Plasters/Decs/Carpets booked….

I answer NO… But yes, if I bring in the full team… BUT that will cost.

I’ve often said. WHY go cheap on Elec / Plumb / Data / etc…. or those trades that once installed, are mostly hidden, and very awkward to get back into once the finished floor/carpet/tiles/laminate/plaster/paint has been provided.

If you want us to pick up your 💩 and save the day. It will cost you.

I'm trying to start up, I want to be a jobbing sparks working about 2 1/2 days a week.

I've decided £52.50 an hour is about right, I’m having a slow start, but don’t want to drop below that. I expect to take subbing contracts while I’m trying to establish myself.

What surprises me is what people will work for, I’m seeing PAYE jobs locally at below JIB rates, some at £30K a year, some up to about £60K to be fair.

Given the JIB rate is £23 plus all of the on costs, subbing rates should be £38 to £40 an hour IMO. But I’m seeing rates of £24 an hour and they act like that’s doing you a favour!

I had one agent who wanted 10 sparks about an hour from my base, for a contract on water treatment works (sewage plants in old money) and wanted to pay £23 an hour. I told them I wasn’t desperate, and I’d need £300 a day and didn’t budge from that. She said she’d see what she could do, I thought that was the end of that, but she kept checking back with me for a week and a half, until she filled the ten at £23 I suppose. That was an eye-opener into the agent's business model. It’s like they don’t know or care what we should be earning, if they can get a client to pay them £40 an hour and then pay £20 an hour, they’re happy.

As for pricing your own works, any tips on weighing up clients, sussing if it's worth spending hours pricing a job properly or seeing early doors that you are wasting your time?
I’ve had a couple of those already, could be I’m asking too much, but the way I see it if you have over £50K of camper van on the drive, you can pay me my worth.

When you first go self employed I know I spent a good few years questioning 'how much I should be charging' & 'am I too cheaop' / 'am I too expensive' etc, Tried per point , tried fixed price and ultimatley I have found per hour works best for me and to be fair most customers feel happier per hour as they feel they are getting the best deal.
I can tell you one thing you won't get a wet pants plumber out on call in my area for less than £100 per hour, some ate £150 per hour near me...

Reply to What is your hourly rate as a self employed electrician? (2023) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net