Discuss What to put in your continuity box. with NO CPC around in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kyran

-
Reaction score
HI all
Am i being thick here or Ive got to be missing something.

When your faced with lighting with no earth client does not want to rewire as the places is nicely decorated, and they can’t afford the extra cost. How do you fill in your certs.

eg. fit new SELV down lights to bathroom on pre-existing wires and wholes. but as theres no CPC you can’t do a continuity. As you just have line and neutral on the circuit. So what do you put in the R1+R2 or R2 boxes. if don’t have anything to measure?

Now i know theres no regs that force a rewire and building regs only say that you cant leave the job no worse compliance then before the job. As well as not having any other class 1 or metal accessories. and your main earth is appropriate size, as well as main bounding.

How do you then comply and cert your work. I get that yes you sticker the board saying that no metal can be use on X lighting circuit and the risk assessment is done. but still what do you put in the continuity box on your cert.

Make a note on the cert that the lighting circuit has no cpc and that you have advised the client that only class 2 fittings are to be used

what he said ^^^^^. and now i've got to rattle the brain cells and find something to disagree with archy on. :49:

HI all
Am i being thick here or Ive got to be missing something.

When your faced with lighting with no earth client does not want to rewire as the places is nicely decorated, and they can’t afford the extra cost. How do you fill in your certs.

eg. fit new SELV down lights to bathroom on pre-existing wires and wholes. but as theres no CPC you can’t do a continuity. As you just have line and neutral on the circuit. So what do you put in the R1+R2 or R2 boxes. if don’t have anything to measure?

Now i know theres no regs that force a rewire and building regs only say that you cant leave the job no worse compliance then before the job. As well as not having any other class 1 or metal accessories. and your main earth is appropriate size, as well as main bounding.

How do you then comply and cert your work. I get that yes you sticker the board saying that no metal can be use on X lighting circuit and the risk assessment is done. but still what do you put in the continuity box on your cert.

The only test for that circuit is I/R L-N before any loads connected & RCD. Just write it up as it is and put N/A for R1+R2 & Zs.

Why? Anyone who works with electrics should be competant to do so and be aware when surveying or carrying out the work there isnt one if using class 1 fittings

You should not be installing class 1 fittings on a circuit with no cpc.

If a lighting circuit has no cps a label should be fitted to the board. Standard practice.

You should not be installing class 1 fittings on a circuit with no cpc.

If a lighting circuit has no cps a label should be fitted to the board. Standard practice.

Agreed on point 1
At your discretion on point 2.
There is no regulation or mandatory commitment regarding the lack of cpc warning labels.
And it wouldn't be there for a future qualified sparks benefit cus if he's worth his salt he would be aware of the situation pretty sharpish.
Its the user/home owner that's going to need to be educated and made aware of the potential risks regarding class 1 kit.
And they are the last people to read labels on there boards.
If it floats yer boat fit one, choice is yours.

i.m surprised the 3rd amendment doesn't specify non combustible labels. they now comprise 50% of the weight of the CU.

Mind you if you do fit a lack of cpc warning notice,

I suppose you could reward yourself with an extra big tick in the 3rd box of the Identification section of your installation cert.

Ok who went and had a look, own up. :icon12:

one thig i like abot BG boards. the bloody labels all go on the inside of the lid and so are out of sight when lid is closed.

xcuse thr typos. cleaned up my keyboard. now it can't say f*ck, tw4t or boll*cks

Reply to What to put in your continuity box. with NO CPC around in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net