Discuss Whats this mean on a rcd test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Right! On your schedule of test results have a free line above each set of RCD protected ccts. Put on that line RCD 1/61008/x1/x5 results....then on your next line start the various cct details, and you can then also detail individual cct RCD results if you so wish...

That way everyone is happy (cept maybe DS!) !! :smile:

Good to see Trev back...

I will chuck my two penneth worth in here, but I fear I will upset some but bring it on.

An RCD as additional protection should be fit for purpose at the point of utilisation so it makes sense to test it as such. Therefore, if for example a new socket outlet circuit has been added, then I would use the plug in 3-wire accessory that comes with my Megger multifunction tester (1553?) and press test on the auto RCD function whilst standing by at the DB to reset the RCD for each test.

I would not, if the results were satisfactory, test at the outgoing terminals. The RCD is supposed to protect the user at the point of utilisation lest we forget. There is no point of having one in the circuit if it operates within the given parameters at the DB, but not at the end point.

Voltz.

I will chuck my two penneth worth in here, but I fear I will upset some but bring it on.

An RCD as additional protection should be fit for purpose at the point of utilisation so it makes sense to test it as such. Therefore, if for example a new socket outlet circuit has been added, then I would use the plug in 3-wire accessory that comes with my Megger multifunction tester (1553?) and press test on the auto RCD function whilst standing by at the DB to reset the RCD for each test.

I would not, if the results were satisfactory, test at the outgoing terminals. The RCD is supposed to protect the user at the point of utilisation lest we forget. There is no point of having one in the circuit if it operates within the given parameters at the DB, but not at the end point.

Voltz.

This is how I see it too , If results are satisfactory then fine if not then test at the RCD terminals with all outgoing circuits disconnected....

I also had an assessor [and he knew his stuff] agree that it's perfectly ok to test at the end of the RCD protected circuit.

Thank you!!!!

I have also awnsered my own question as non of you did, the 50v on the tester in the pic means theres more thar 50v potential difference between lines, which if no load is on the circuit the test would work, if theres load this machine indicates , cleaver little machine hey!!

Thank you!!!!

I have also awnsered my own question as non of you did, the 50v on the tester in the pic means theres more thar 50v potential difference between lines, which if no load is on the circuit the test would work, if theres load this machine indicates , cleaver little machine hey!!

Perhaps you should read your instructions that go with your tester, which state that:
"The 9083P will first perform a short pre-test to determine the fault voltage that may appear on the protective conductor.
If the fault voltage is greater than 50V then the 9083P will indicate > 50V on the LCD, the test will be disabled."

Voltz.

If it operates correctly at the DB it will be fine at the end of the circuit. An RCD operates purely on an imbalance in current flowing through it. If you understand the very basic science behind the flow of current you will know that the circuit length will have no effect on the RCDs operation.

What will affect the RCDs operation is poor IR, other leakage currents and possibly cable capacitance. The effect they will have is to bias the RCD to appear to operate faster and at lower current than it actually is, so testing at the end of a circuit can give a result that makes a faulty RCD appear to be in good working order.

Perhaps you should read your instructions that go with your tester, which state that:
"The 9083P will first perform a short pre-test to determine the fault voltage that may appear on the protective conductor.
If the fault voltage is greater than 50V then the 9083P will indicate > 50V on the LCD, the test will be disabled."
Derek! How dare you suggest that someone should read the instructions for their test equipment! Next you'll be coming up with some hare brained idea that people should actually know what they're doing!
Now get in that naughty corner :)

Reply to Whats this mean on a rcd test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net