Discuss Whats this mean on a rcd test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As long as its above 1M then its fine yes on the n-e test you are testing all circuits but as long as thats above min. If their an issue then ob i will open board or if i have board open i will do at board, if customers have crammed all their stuff in a cupboard it can be hard to open up the board,

And as video shows it supports what i have said

Oh my goodness. I'm done here lads.
No forther comment. I wouldn't want to force anyone's hand into banning me just 10 minutes after I came back.

Trev you're not going to get banned for having a debate about testing an Rcd.
@ Randall you need to stay calm no one is being sarcastic with you, you have asked a question and have received the answer from several members but don't seem to like that answer so I don't know what else I can say.
Ps Trev is a very experienced electrician and knows what he is talking about when it comes to testing and will always try to share that experience with other members.

The geez in this videar seems to be testing at a socket.
https://youtu.be/PfcPDr1SSZ4
I don't know. :bat: The way I was shown was a 3 lead test on the circuit closest to the rcd.
What is right procedure ?

He is also testing at a socket with such a short piece of cable that it would make no real difference to the test. Imagine that cable as being a realistic length for a final circuit and work out how it may affect the result.

He is also testing at a socket with such a short piece of cable that it would make no real difference to the test. Imagine that cable as being a realistic length for a final circuit and work out how it may affect the result.

I always do at nearest socket too, as this also allows for resting rcd easily,

If the zs is fine then doing the test at a socket will give the same result, if it doesn't work at the socket , then how would the rcd protect you in the correct times at the socket if their was a fault at that socket

Last edited by a moderator:
NICEIC ALLOW rcd test to be done at the socket.

on my yearly checkup, id put in a new socket radial circuit, he asked me some questions and then to show him how i carried out all my testing, hes said nothing when i showed him an rcd test via the socket.

The NICEIC are well known for presenting stuff and nonsense as gospel truth!
Use your own brain to assess exactly how having cables connected to an RCD can skew the test results and then you will understand!

As long as its above 1M then its fine yes on the n-e test you are testing all circuits but as long as thats above min. If their an issue then ob i will open board or if i have board open i will do at board, if customers have crammed all their stuff in a cupboard it can be hard to open up the board,

And as video shows it supports what i have said

That's pretty damn poor practice! If you have a circuit with an IR in the order of hundreds between L - N and L - E then say 2Mohm between N -E then there is blatantly something wrong with it.
You are supposed to be a skilled tradesman capable of taking measurements then understanding and interpreting the results. Blindly following an 'everything >1Mohm is a pass' rule belies a lack of understanding or technical knowledge/ability

If the zs is fine then doing the test at a socket will give the same result, if it doesn't work at the socket , then how would the rcd protect you in the correct times at the socket if their was a fault at that socket
I know I said I was out of this but I got the notification so here I am again. In one breath you're saying test at an extremity of the circuit and in the next you're at the nearest socket. Howay mate, make your mind up.
Incidentally, at the far end of a radial circuit how much of a pain in the arse is it to do it your way? Hit test button, no trip, trip on 1 x, wander over to reset, trip at 180 degrees, wander over to reset, same with 5 x.

As I explained earlier, it is not that it may not trip when tested at the socket. The problem is that an earth leakage of a couple of milli amps or the effect of cable capacitance may bias an RCD to trip at a lower current or faster than it would if tested in isolation. Then the RCD will pass your test but not be operating within the required specification. If this RCD is then called upon to save someone's life then it may not do so.

And you keep the probes on how exactly? Let's say it's a domestic lighting circuit.
Btw I know all about the auto test function.

Yes I see what you mean, thanks for replying.
I've just wandered into this post, TBH I haven't got the level knowledge to agree or disagree with anyone.:smiley2:

Can you clarify if I'm doing it right.
MF tester on RCD
Auto - 30ma selected.(appropriate)
I stick a probe in the top of the closest protected MCB to the RCD
Probe to the N of that circuit and EARTH.

After that I record the readings, do a ramp test, and press the test button.
Signed: Confused of Sussex ! :mickey:

Yes I see what you mean, thanks for replying.
I've just wandered into this post, TBH I haven't got the level knowledge to agree or disagree with anyone.:smiley2:

Can you clarify if I'm doing it right.
MF tester on RCD
Auto - 30ma selected.(appropriate)
I stick a probe in the top of the closest protected MCB to the RCD
Probe to the N of that circuit and EARTH.

After that I record the readings, do a ramp test, and press the test button.
Signed: Confused of Sussex ! :mickey:

Not quite.

You switch off all MCBs protected by it, and drop the outgoing N connection from the RCD.
Clip on to an earth connection and probes on the outgoing terminals of the RCD with firm contact pressure.
Start the test.
You can remove L and N probes between each test to reset the RCD.

A ramp test is not required as part of formal testing procedure, the 0.5x and 1x tripping time test confirm that the RCD trip current is within spec.

You are correct that you operate the test button after carrying out the tests, not before.

Not quite.

You switch off all MCBs protected by it, and drop the outgoing N connection from the RCD.
Clip on to an earth connection and probes on the outgoing terminals of the RCD with firm contact pressure.
Start the test.
You can remove L and N probes between each test to reset the RCD.

A ramp test is not required as part of formal testing procedure, the 0.5x and 1x tripping time test confirm that the RCD trip current is within spec.

You are correct that you operate the test button after carrying out the tests, not before.

Thanks very much for that, I'll run through it tomorrow.
Was confused because I never touched the rcd before, except to reset and push the test button.

Reply to Whats this mean on a rcd test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net