Search the forum,

Discuss Which fire alarm system???? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

ga.electrical

Hi guys,

I have been asked to fit a fire alarm system to a small hotel. There is already a system in place fitted in 2007 and by the look of it they used animals from the local zoo. I usually fit Fike systems as i know they are reliable but costly. What do you lot fit? i only ask as the customer is allegedly on a tight budget and the minimum i can get my figures to is £2448 and this is making pretty much no money at all.

check out prices at Electric Center. their own brand, acel, are sensibly priced.

Please be very careful, in June this year, BS5839 part 1 changed to cover hospitallity and nursing homes.
Addressable systems are advised in hotels/accomadation. All equipment installed must meet EN54 2 & 4 including panels, detection, call points and power supplys. This has been introduced, as the loss of life in this type of enviorment has now reach 18 in the past 3 years, and is deemed too high.

As the above, I'm more inclined to install addressable systems now, any more than a four or so of zones to be honest.
Far more user and engineer friendly nowadays.
Also you imagine only potentially having to install a single loop, and programming zones, and cause and effects, or installing six radials, including minimal sounder circuirs x 2.
Install time can be reduced dramatically
Prices are more competitive now too!

Again, not a great lover of Rafiki twin wire, and electrical wholsellers are going to charge more the a good security supplier.
If you give us more details and quantities, can work out what you should be paying. Also here to help as you will need to comply with DDA. Its sound a nightmare...but its logical are straight forward

Thanks for replies, wasnt aware of the changes to bs5839. Basically i have a 3 storey hotel consisting of 11xguest bedrooms 2xcommunal landings 1xdiningroom/bar 1x commercial kitchen. I intend to fit an L2 system. I am well for addressable systems and agree with every above comment i just cant seem to get the price anywhere near what the customer is expecting to pay. Should have already mentioned they have had another quote of £1500 but i am lead to believe this price is only for repairing damaged cables and detectors

Ok this is where you may have to walk away, I know this sounds abrupt, but there is no way any firm can install a system to fully comply for this. The system being public hospitallity will need to be L1 not L2... you will need detection and sounders in every room, detection is required in corridor areas, sataircases and the main lift shaft. Call points required on each level staircase, and all ground floor exits. Detection in bar and dinning areas. Now all fire doors in corridors will need to be shut automatically on fire, so door holders required. Kitchen heats now cost apart from cable, your are looking at 1 loop panel £450-£500, detection £18 each, base sounders for bedrooms £24, open area sounders for corridors,dinning , kitchen £26, base sounder strobes for toilets £30, call points £19........Now in your defence i do not think a full risk assessment has been conducted here, and thus as a statory demand, somebody needs to take responsibility, which is basically the hotel owner. If the owner is not will to comply with this, then on his head be it. What ever you do do not issue any certification to state you have design this system. To save you this job, if you have any drawings post then up, I will recad them FOC to comply and lets put then infront of the local fire officer...just to prove a point. Will Be a good post to prove put the men from the boys and save you this job

Last edited:

Reply to Which fire alarm system???? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net