Discuss Wiring Glass Touch Light Switches Livolo in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

benoj

Hi folks

Currently changing my light switches from old standard switches to new glass touch ones. I've gone for the UK Livolo type.

Changed the 1 way switches with no issues. However I'm struggling with the 2 way switches.

E.g. Kitchen has 2 light switches, one is a 3 gang 2 way dimmer that I want to keep as the previous owner has been generous with the plaster and I cannot get it off the wall. The other switch in this chain is a 1 gang 2 way at the other end of the kitchen which I've changed to a 1 gang 2 way Livolo glass touch.

Old switch was L1,L2,L3.
New switch is L, L1, A, B

Old L1 is live and goes to L on new switch but then I've tried the old L2/L3 wires in all combinations of L1/A/B and I cannot get it so both switches work. Always end up with both switches work when the other is off, but when the other is on the other will not switch the lights on and off.

Livolo wiring diagram seems to indicate I should have 4 wires, a live, l1 and and A and B. See this link ->
Untitled | DIYnot Forums

I didn't take a pic of the 1 gang 2 way but here is an example of another I have, 3 gang 2 way
IMG_6357.jpg
IMG_6358.jpg

My non electrician interpretation of this wiring diagram is that I need another wire but I'm hoping someone with more know how maybe able to tell me it can be done with the traditional 3 wire setup?!

assuming that theres no neutral in the switch box,
at one end you will have a switch line, with one wire live and one feeding the light.
from there linked with a 3 core cable to another switch
then on the first switch live and brown from the three core goes into L, , switched live to L1, A and B to remaining 2 wires on three core cable.

in the second switch where three core cable ends - brown goes to L, 2 other cores to A and B and you should not mix them up.

Switches look like chinese crap and and may not be working at all, who knows.

Looking at the wiring diagram you link to, I'd say that you must have one of these special switches at both ends of the two way.

I very much doubt whether the 'A' and 'B' lines are used in the same way as a conventional two way switching arrangement.

Last edited:
Hi folks

Currently changing my light switches from old standard switches to new glass touch ones. I've gone for the UK Livolo type.

Changed the 1 way switches with no issues. However I'm struggling with the 2 way switches.

E.g. Kitchen has 2 light switches, one is a 3 gang 2 way dimmer that I want to keep as the previous owner has been generous with the plaster and I cannot get it off the wall. The other switch in this chain is a 1 gang 2 way at the other end of the kitchen which I've changed to a 1 gang 2 way Livolo glass touch.

Old switch was L1,L2,L3.
New switch is L, L1, A, B

Old L1 is live and goes to L on new switch but then I've tried the old L2/L3 wires in all combinations of L1/A/B and I cannot get it so both switches work. Always end up with both switches work when the other is off, but when the other is on the other will not switch the lights on and off.

Livolo wiring diagram seems to indicate I should have 4 wires, a live, l1 and and A and B. See this link ->
Untitled | DIYnot Forums

I didn't take a pic of the 1 gang 2 way but here is an example of another I have, 3 gang 2 way
View attachment 30539
View attachment 30540

My non electrician interpretation of this wiring diagram is that I need another wire but I'm hoping someone with more know how maybe able to tell me it can be done with the traditional 3 wire setup?!
Just stick a multi meter across the terminal, easy.

Looking at the wiring diagram you link to, I'd say that you must have one of these special switches at both ends of the two way.

I very much doubt whether the 'A' and 'B' lines are used in the same way as a conventional two way switching arrangement.
I also think the A and B terminations are communication between the switches so you need to replace both switches in the 2 way system with these and connect A-A and B-B. These aren't strappers so read the instructions, you may need shielded comms cable for the A-A and B-B wires. You may also need to wire them with one as the master which has L in and the return lives to the lights on L1 L2 & L3 and the other as a slave with just the comms wires going to it. I also don't think a standard multimeter test of the switch poles is going to tell you anything, I doubt it will switch unless there's power on the switch and a circuit connected to the output that has a lamp in it to provide a backfed neutral for the internal electronics. Finally if there's any other PWM dimmers anywhere else in the circuit I'd suggest you remove them, compatibility may be an issue.

Last edited:
The diagram shows that the line supply is via 'A' and/or 'B' cores, which must also be used for some sort of signalling if it's a three gang switch. Sounds a bit unlikely, but I suppose possible. If so, these cores need to be rated for the full circuit voltage.

Are you sure this diagram is correct?

Thankyou for the help all.

I was trying to install the 1 gang 2 way switch in the kitchen where the other switch is a 3 gang 2 way dimmer. From this thread I've gathered that for these to work I need to have this type of switch on both ends of the circuit.

I'd use your advice to get my landing light switches replaced but they've gone and missed off a 2 gang 2 way switch from my order so now I have to wait 3 weeks for it to ship from China. Doh

I'll have a good read of your instructions above when the missing light switch arrives and hopefully get it working. Just glad I don't need extra wires put in, which is what I first feared.

Ok, finally got the 2 way switch that I was missing and have had a fun hour trying to get them working! Could do with some advise please. Have setup as below:

Lights.jpg

Upstairs
-L1 Turns on/off landing OK
-L2 Turns on/off bathroom WITH the bottom of stairs light (Should just be bathroom only)

Downstairs
-L1 Turns on/off outside
-L2 Turns on/off bottom of stairs WITH the upstairs bathroom (Should just be bottom of stairs)
-L3 Turns on/off the landing light

What am I doing wrong in that the bathroom and bottom of the stairs lights are now linked up? All lights should be independent except for landing light which needs to be controlled from bottom and top of stairs switches.

This setup all works fine with traditional rocker switches that we have, N.b. there is a live wire not in use upstairs now, this previously was used.

Have also paired the lights as per the instructions here http://www.retrotouch.co.uk/user/RTS2020-2040_2_way_switch_switch.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
warrington ain't too far from me. if you're stuck i can call later in the week at a reasonable charge.

pm sent.

can't really say without seeing the situation. it may be possible to reconfigure the cabling if the new switches work in a different way or it may need new cabling.

Reply to Wiring Glass Touch Light Switches Livolo in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net