Discuss Worldwide ring mains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kevin, I have a rough idea of what your thinking of, instead of a socket you'd be better to have the same stuff in it but install it on the ring near the consumer unit, how ever I think your trying to solve a problem that don't really exist.

so it's a double socket, with 6 terminations at the back (2 L 2N and 2 CPC) and some way of testing the ring end to end ?

and you have to fit this to every point on the ring before this system works? i'm struggling to comprehend this. whats wrong with end to ends a the board, cross connect fig 8 and measure at each point(no need to remove any fronts anyway)

The firm I have done lots of work for are fitting more radials than rings these days.
Seem to find that when designers are involved radials are used more.

There is nothing to stop a wire coming out of the db. (much easier to spot I agree)
I agree the db is the best place to test but some db's are a right rats nest and it's easier to go to a socket.
Surely it must be easier not having to remove/disconnect wires/reconnect/ replace.

IMO, this will not be popular.

There are hundreds of different socket designs, and everyone preferences are different. It would be difficult to make the socket suitable for most installations. Perhaps a device near / in DB would be more practical?

With regards to Ring Mains,

I can not see them coming to an end anytime soon with the current prices of copper. It was the high copper prices that made us introduce ring final circuits. I can see radials being the more common option in the future as many modern homes (especially kitchens) have many high current electrical items in use that may put pressure on ring final circuits.

harmonisation with european standards

if we were prepared to change the whole countries wiring colours to keep brussels happy then phasing out rings will be a piece of cake in comparison.
lets see what happens when the 18th regs comes around.

if it aint broke dont fix it,tho some people need to justify they jobs and scams i agree.

Don't think rings will disappear in the very near future, but I think less and less will be installed, that's why I am thinking I am wasting my time and money pushing my idea any further forward

A few years ago I had the idea for a invention for car engines, when you first switched on a electric pump would prime the oil ways with oil as a oil brand was claiming most engine wear happens just after first start up while oil pressure is building up. At the time the engine was lasting longer than the body work on cars anyway.

Guitarist,
my initial thoughts were:-
the socket would be fitted during the initial wiring, after the job was complete you could take your readings, but the main reason was, any periodics that needed doing the circuit would not needed to be disconnected/taken apart
i was more thinking along the lines of student accommodation etc where a periodic would be done more often.
but what would the harm be fitting one to every circuit (ring)

I understand where you are coming from, but a large part of the EICR is the inspection part, including removing switches/sockets to see that there is no sign of heat damage, loose terminals etc. As already said, the sheer number of manufacturers with their various designs and colours would make any change a massive undertaking.
Please don't take my comments as being negative, just trying to get my head around the big picture.

i've got it, a double socket, 6 terminals on the back, and a fish key that disconnects the ring and puts each leg to the 2 outlets, and you can measure the end to ends from either 3 pin outlet. can't see it taking off

Guitarist,
i didn't read your post as being negative at all, found ALL the posts helpful
i agree with you totally,
i also thought about your comments regarding design etc and the plan was to put it in an unobtrusive place, possibly with tamper screws

Looks like I will have to think of something else to get on dragons den

I understand where you are coming from, but a large part of the EICR is the inspection part, including removing switches/sockets to see that there is no sign of heat damage, loose terminals etc. As already said, the sheer number of manufacturers with their various designs and colours would make any change a massive undertaking.
Please don't take my comments as being negative, just trying to get my head around the big picture.
hmm....well, loose terminations would show up on your end to end resistances and R1 R2 etc....and as for heat damage....well again may show up on low ohm resistances and IR....but yes. its important to inspect BEFORE testing is carried out...

A few years ago I had the idea for a invention for car engines, when you first switched on a electric pump would prime the oil ways with oil as a oil brand was claiming most engine wear happens just after first start up while oil pressure is building up. At the time the engine was lasting longer than the body work on cars anyway.

When I was very young I went to the joke shop and bought disappearing ink, which disappeared when it dried, my thoughts were "why not put this paint(my dad was painting a ceiling) and you would know where you had painted.
someone beat me to the idea, and probably made money out of MY idea :90:

Also, car head lamps with a photo cell in the that picked up lights from another car comming towards you and would auto dip. Trouble is I thought it'd react too late, however think Merc are doing it now

if someone invents a woman who can cook,clean,look after kids and go out to work to earn,i'll buy one,they used to make them a while ago,but obsolete stock now..:sad:

ps.i want the doesnt answer back/moaning version..

Good work on thinking up the idea...

I think you should carry on with it...dont be put off...they all said the mobile phone wouldn't work...

Like you say could be quite beneficial in student accommodation...

Sent from my Xperia S using next doors WIFI.

hmm....well, loose terminations would show up on your end to end resistances and R1 R2 etc....and as for heat damage....well again may show up on low ohm resistances and IR....but yes. its important to inspect BEFORE testing is carried out...

Not all terminations which could do with "tightening" are actually loose, and not all cables showing signs of heat damage will give you poor readings. Just my observations after 26 years in the profession... :)

Reply to Worldwide ring mains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net