Discuss Zs values? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

rcd get stuck if you dont test them regular. i,ve been bit by one myself.but the fact remains 1667 ze 0.2 disconnection.who are we to judge

Well I am just waiting for the first test case for a fatality due to an RCD not operating and saving a life, I fitted a Power breaker RCD/FCU the other day, guess what >400ms over range about as much use as a fridge to an Eskimo, if a domestic inspect is 10 Years on a new install with the lower lethal level of 50ma what's the chances of it operating in <30ma 9 years time ?..None.
I retested mine at home today all come in at under <19ms @ x5

Energy let through limitation
The supply is 50Hz, i.e., 1 cycle every 20ms, even if the RCD can disconnect at 40ms, you'll get 2 cycles of the full fault current
A typical fault can be in hundreds of amps

This from another source

The surge current refers to the peak current an RCD is designed to withstand using a test impulse of specified characteristics ( an 8/20 µs impulse, named after the time constants of the rise and fall of current).
The IEC 61008 and IEC 61009 standards impose the use of a 0.5 µs/ 100 kHz damped oscillator wave (ring wave) to test the ability of residual current protection devices to withstand operational discharges with a peak current equal to 200 A.

These are others quotes and I just take note of them, bright ideas are rare coming out of my head unfortunately :)
I read those as saying to me.an Rcd faulting on a Tn system is liable to damage

Des could you please explain why it would be more dangerous on a TN?

low Zs of the TN would have virtually just the persons resistance as the limiting factor,kallowing a massive current flow
High resistance TT rod would limit the current flow
Both could kill,but the Tn would do a better job of it:)

To be pedantic, if that's the right word, the actual value is 1666.66 recurring. Therefore, to be on the 'safe' side we should be using 1666? 1667 gives a voltage of 50.01 - far too high!

Seriously though, I can see the logic on both sides of the argument. However, the maximum Zs is to protect the cpc. So, if we accept that the RCD may fail, should we still not use the maximum Zs for the MCB (or OC part of an RCBO) on a TN system just in case?

A lot of people don't even realise this reg is under the TN section. When the 7671-2008 came up as DPC I wrote to the IET with several questions and this was one. Why start the TN section back on page 47 under 411.4 and end it on a TT page 411.4.9. pg 50

Told in short shrift that 411.4.9 is obviously still under TN as TT starts the 411.5 section!!! hush my mouth

Well I am just waiting for the first test case for a fatality due to an RCD not operating and saving a life, I fitted a Power breaker RCD/FCU the other day, guess what >400ms over range about as much use as a fridge to an Eskimo, if a domestic inspect is 10 Years on a new install with the lower lethal level of 50ma what's the chances of it operating in <30ma 9 years time ?..None.
I retested mine at home today all come in at under <19ms @ x5

RCD failing to trip? that's as unlikely to happen as the "unsinkable " Titanic sinking, or the Hindenberg catching fire! Personally , i consider RCDs to be secondary protection , albeit 95% reliable

b=5x c=10x d=20x
zs = nominal voltage/Ia (current causing automatic disconnection) x0.8
examples of making disconnection times with various mcb types
eg b32
b x 5=160 230/160=1.43 x 0.8 = zs max of 1.15ohms
eg c20
c x 10=200 230/200=1.15 x0.8 = zs max of 0.92ohms
eg d16
d x 16=320 230/320=0.71 x 0.8 = zs max of 0.57ohms

c and d type breakers are used for circuits with high inrush currents

ive gotta get out more!

b=5x c=10x d=20x
zs = nominal voltage/Ia (current causing automatic disconnection) x0.8
examples of making disconnection times with various mcb types
eg b32
b x 5=160 230/160=1.43 x 0.8 = zs max of 1.15ohms
eg c20
c x 10=200 230/200=1.15 x0.8 = zs max of 0.92ohms
eg d16
d x 16=320 230/320=0.71 x 0.8 = zs max of 0.57ohms

c and d type breakers are used for circuits with high inrush currents

ive gotta get out more!

That's a great formula but would it still apply to bs88 fuses?

max Zs= U0/Ia (x0.8) only works for B C D mcbs 60898 rcbos 61009. (table 41.3) makes life easier to work out max zs without looking it up... fuses i look up. ;-)

What gives you that idea??

Zs = Uo ÷ Ia is basic ohms law (R = V ÷ I).

Zs = Earth fault loop impedance -- Uo = Nominal voltage -- Ia = Current causing operation of the protective device in the required time

The 0.8 is a rule of thumb. The max Zs values in BS 7671 are at a cable operating temperature of 70°C but the cable won't be at that temperature when you take a Zs measurement, so you multiply the values in the BRB by 0.8 to account for the reduced temperature of the cable.

Ia is taken from the time/current characteristics graphs/tables in Appendix 3 of the BRB.

That's a great formula but would it still apply to bs88 fuses?

So yes, it does apply to BS 88 fuses. It's just easier to work out for 60898 and 61009 breakers because it's just 5 x In (type B), 10 x In (type C) and 20 x In (type D).

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo - Smiffy is right then.
So yes, it does apply to BS 88 fuses.
Obviously, Ohm's law applies to everything but -
It's just easier to work out for 60898 and 61009 breakers because it's just 5 x In (type B), 10 x In (type C) and 20 x In (type D).
...there is no one value which applies throughout the amperage range of BS88s to calculate the maximum Zs for each.

Soooo - Smiffy is right then.
Obviously, Ohm's law applies to everything but -...there is no one value which applies throughout the amperage range of BS88s to calculate the maximum Zs for each.

No. What Smiffy said is that Zs = (Uo ÷ Ia) x 0.8 cannot be used for anything but 60898 and 61009 breakers.

max Zs= U0/Ia (x0.8) only works for B C D mcbs 60898 rcbos 61009. (table 41.3) makes life easier to work out max zs without looking it up... fuses i look up. ;-)

Uo ÷ Ia is how max Zs values are calculated no matter what the protective device.

Have a look at the time/current graph for BS 88 fuses on page 247 of the BRB. Let's say you have a 32A fuse.

For a disconnection time of 0.4s you need a fault current of 220A. Zs = Uo ÷ Ia (230V ÷ 220A = 1.04Ω). Now compare this with the value in Table 41.2 on page 48.

You then multiply this value by 0.8 to account for the reduced temperature of the cable -- 1.04 x 0.8 = 0.83Ω. This is your maximum measured value.

Yes, I know but smiffy's thread is about the fact that you don't need the graphs for 60898s because the relationship between Ia and In is linear,

i.e. 5, 10, 20 for B, C, D respectively.

This is not the case with BS88s and, indeed, other fuses.

Yes, I know but smiffy's thread is about the fact that you don't need the graphs for 60898s because the relationship between Ia and In is linear,

i.e. 5, 10, 20 for B, C, D respectively.

This is not the case with BS88s and, indeed, other fuses.

He didn't say anything about not needing the graphs.

What he said in post #75 was the formula for calculating max Zs "only works for B C D mcbs 60898 rcbos 61009". This simply isn't true.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Zs values? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net