Discuss 16th edition board in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

lewlec

-
Reaction score
Hi all

need some advise..... Wired my house(new build) back in jan 2006 after part p came in which at the time i was employed and done the install myself and the boss was going to certify it for me. Mean while i have started my own buisness (3 years now) and the cert was never done, the issue now is that i have just sold my house and no electrical cert. It has all been done to 16th edition with one db for lights,oven & immersion and onother db for the sockets and shower. Can i get away with issuing a 16th cert or will i have to upgrade the db with rcbos to comply with 17th?
Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Regards
gary

You should be able to do out a PIR and leave the installation as is.

yes. the installation complied with current regs. when it was installed, so PIR it. job done

Don't have a clue about part p so i am not the man to answer that one.

If the house is sold why do you want any sort of certificate ?
If things are on going,a Pir would be sufficient

Who or where are these people who actually take notice of part p to want these things in the first place?
I have never met any official or body that takes the matter seriously other than electricians working under the banner of registartion
Just forget it was ever done, and go with the flow as 99.99% of the country does

Buck house does not comply with pir, so i guess its worth 10K then. Complete and utter labour luvvy ********, the gas board does both leccy and gas for 75 quid. jobs for the boys is going out the window hopefully

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

the problem we have is that the house is not signed off by building control yet and im sure he will want to see a installation cert and that it is notified under part p. I was thinking will a 16th cert be ok?

Regards
gary

If contracts have been excahnge and house is sold .......way past any certificate stages.

If your house was built in 2006 surely you must have all the building and planning certificates, you surely never just built an house over a 6 month period and no one came from the planning office to ask why are you building this house.

I'm not a solicitor but can you actually sell a new build house now without the proper building certificates

Hi

the house is in the early stages of sale, the house is not yet signed off by building control because ive been dragging my feet. The building inspector is coming out next week to do final check and that is when he will ask for electrical installation cert. Hope iam explaining this correctly.

Regards
gary

i would say its not yet done as no installation cert has been done..
if you can do an installation cert then all will be good..
otherwise its up to how good your building inspector is...after all a pi will show it complys
ive known it go both ways so
a. be nice to your building inspector
b. promise him anything he wants
c. get your building signed off
d. sell your house and forget all about it!!

My building inspector is a tidy guy, i do some electrical work for him. I think i will issue a 16th cert and put a recent date on it and then part p it. Do u think thats ok?
THE JOB WAS FINALLY FINISHED ABOUT 12 MONTHS AGO.

Last edited:
If you were to issue a periodic with a modern date.see if that satisfies him,dont say you wired it because its an offence

He can issue a regularisation notice,at least thats what I think its called,there is a set price,but not sure how much
Personally I would do nothing unless he asks and then ask him the route that satisfies him

Maybe the word offence was a bit dramatic,I will try and explain how I understand the sytem and how you are supposed to comply

For me to use the word offence, may have been presuming a few things(wrongly perhaps):)

Part p of the building regs gives a couple of ways of complying

A person has to notify the works to labc before the work starts and pay a fee
If you have full plans approval, it means the wiring doesn't have to be notified seperately,so the fee would be taken care of by the full plans bit

Part p requires a completion certificate to say that it complies with the building regs

That has to be issued by the inspector after the work has been inspected at first and second fix by the inspector, and testing and certification is then the responsibility of labc

To by pass this procedure,a person doing the wiring can register with a competent person scheme to self certify compliance with the building regs

If neither of these options is taken,then there are ( on paper anyway ) fines for non compliance with the building regs
Those fines ( on paper again :)) are very hefty I was under the impression it was in the thousands
That is why I used the word offence
I am sorry if I have presumed anything eg if you are registered or if you did notify labc

I may well be very very wrong with some or even all of my information,but it may be worthwhile checking

To be a little more positive
Part p is not implemented by nearly every labc in the land
It is not any concern to sparks who dont register .it is of no concern to the millions of people who do Diy
Nobody as far as I know have been prosecuted for not notifying work or for bad installation work
Its a crap piece of legistlation,but on paper it should be followed,or so mps believed, when they enacted the nonesense

thanks des

when the work started i was employed and not part p registered but..... by the time the work was completed i was a member of the nic, my fault really i should have done something about it then. anyway i think i need to talk to my building inspector and see what he recons, maybe he will say a 16th cert will be ok if not i will have to upgrade my db with rcbos and issue a 17th completion cert. thanks for your advice

regards
gary

Maybe the word offence was a bit dramatic,I will try and explain how I understand the sytem and how you are supposed to comply

For me to use the word offence, may have been presuming a few things(wrongly perhaps):)

Part p of the building regs gives a couple of ways of complying

A person has to notify the works to labc before the work starts and pay a fee
If you have full plans approval, it means the wiring doesn't have to be notified seperately,so the fee would be taken care of by the full plans bit

Part p requires a completion certificate to say that it complies with the building regs

That has to be issued by the inspector after the work has been inspected at first and second fix by the inspector, and testing and certification is then the responsibility of labc

To by pass this procedure,a person doing the wiring can register with a competent person scheme to self certify compliance with the building regs

If neither of these options is taken,then there are ( on paper anyway ) fines for non compliance with the building regs
Those fines ( on paper again :)) are very hefty I was under the impression it was in the thousands
That is why I used the word offence
I am sorry if I have presumed anything eg if you are registered or if you did notify labc

I may well be very very wrong with some or even all of my information,but it may be worthwhile checking

To be a little more positive
Part p is not implemented by nearly every labc in the land
It is not any concern to sparks who dont register .it is of no concern to the millions of people who do Diy
Nobody as far as I know have been prosecuted for not notifying work or for bad installation work
Its a crap piece of legistlation,but on paper it should be followed,or so mps believed, when they enacted the nonesense

I had the building inspector out to me the other day, he came to assess my CU change on my own property which is one of my assessment pieces.

He came out, looked at the CU visually, which is above a door, asked to see the certificate,asked to see my qualifications and that was it, goes through to planning and he said I should hear back soon, that was the one and only time he came out to see me. Simple.
I thought it was going to be alot harder.
Does anyone know if there is a time limit between completing a job and submitting an application?

Reply to 16th edition board in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net