Discuss 3.6kw oven on a 13amp plug top. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If the plug has got a 3 Amp fuse in it,then yes ,8 Amps is big.
I think you are avoiding the not insignificant point that it is not good practice to try to protect equipment with a potential operating current of 14 Amps on a 13 Amp plug. No amount of lateral thinking or outright belligerence will change the fact. 14 Amps with 13 Amp protection = No.
Who said anything about a 3 amp fuse? and yes a 3.6kw oven should not be connected to a plug top, I would never do so in anyones home as no spark would either, hence the humour in the thread, cheer up lol

Who said anything about a 3 amp fuse? and yes a 3.6kw oven should not be connected to a plug top, I would never do so in anyones home as no spark would either, hence the humour in the thread, cheer up lol

Well initially I was referring to a potential 14 Amps and you randomly posed a question regarding 8 Amps lol.
now I just did the same back to you ..you turned my 14 Amps into 8 and so I turn your 13 Amps into 3...im such a rascal :)

Last edited:

Hi Mark!! :teeth_smile:

See here -->>
Prat P
user-online.png

Member Join DateNov 2014LocationNottinghamPosts46Thanks0

So, the lad's new here AND he's from Tony's neck of the woods!

Give the poor sod a break man!! ;)

3KW heaters come with a plug top on them !!, its what the manufacturers instructions say and also the type of oven if the oven is a combined oven with a grill built into the oven its self then the total load could be 3.6kw that is total you may well have a 2kw oven and a 1.6kw grill and you cant use them both together, it all depends on the oven , and some are supplied with a plug, so if its a separate grill and oven and they can both be used together then yes its a separate circuit and 16 amp mcb to a double pole switch to oven

3KW heaters come with a plug top on them !!, its what the manufacturers instructions say and also the type of oven if the oven is a combined oven with a grill built into the oven its self then the total load could be 3.6kw that is total you may well have a 2kw oven and a 1.6kw grill and you cant use them both together, it all depends on the oven , and some are supplied with a plug, so if its a separate grill and oven and they can both be used together then yes its a separate circuit and 16 amp mcb to a double pole switch to oven

Well I think I would feel silly telling someone after I just fitted their shiny new oven ' now just remember you can use the grill or the oven,not both at the same time'...then I would jump on my horse and ride off into the distance

Well I think I would feel silly telling someone after I just fitted their shiny new oven ' now just remember you can use the grill or the oven,not both at the same time'...then I would jump on my horse and ride off into the distance

I think Nick was suggesting that on some ovens you can only use one or the other, so the load would stay under 3kW.

I have an oven with a grill.

The grill is inside the oven.

Tidyboiler has never been able to grill my breakfast kippers at the same time as I'm roasting the pig for my dinner but last time she did grill my kippers the dozy bint burned them!!

It is either one or the other.

I have an oven with a grill.

The grill is inside the oven.

Tidyboiler has never been able to grill my breakfast kippers at the same time as I'm roasting the pig for my dinner but last time she did grill my kippers the dozy bint burned them!!

It is either one or the other.

As usual it comes down to economics..is it cheaper to pay for someone to teach her to cook or cheaper to get a new model? (and I'm not talking about the cooker? :)

So now the well proven diversity of cooker appliances shouldn't be taken into account, brilliant!! Cookers and/or ovens will generally be rated on the box (and within the manual) as ''connected'' load not ''Maximum'' load, so any elements within the cooker/oven than can't be used in tandem with other cooking elements shouldn't be included in the rating of what this oven can draw...

Why does this oven need to be fused at all?? You don't see any fuses provided on say a twin cooker connection plate. It's a fixed load so cannot overload, so providing the circuit supply is up to the job a 20A DP switch plate is all you need....

I have noticed most ovens that used to come already fitted with a 13Amp plug,now just have terminals for you to connect your own cable and I think there is a clue there (manufacturers are aware that a 3.6kw oven may work fine on a 13Amp plug ...for a while.) . When you go to cook Christmas dinner and the oven is working at full capacity for long hours then i would consider diversity to be a bit of a red herring mainly used by lazy and/or incompetent fitters, to avoid installing a new 20Amp radial,so they just throw it in a socket designed for 13 Amps max despite the appliance being capable of pulling 14 amps..!
A 3.6kw cooker needs a 4mm hofr (heatproof) cable from cooker to 20Amp isolation point,then feed isolation point in 4mm pvc twin + earth and protect circuit with 20Amp ocpd.

Have you ever seen what a 2kw heater can do to a plug top? Putting a modern oven on a plug is what you call sailing close to the wind

What do 2KW heaters do to plug-tops then? Daz

Reply to 3.6kw oven on a 13amp plug top. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net