Discuss Adding a spur to an existing circuit on a BS3036 CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The regulations state that socket outlets intended for general use must be RCD protected. Where this enters into the realm of ridiculous is just the scenario you have. A 3036 board with no RCD protection to any of the circuits, and an electrician protects an isolated socket installed for a table lamp just to comply with the regulations.Despite lack of RCD protection and 3036 fuses as long as disconnection times are met and sockets are not reasonably likely to supply equipment outdoors,contrary to popular opinion the setup has been safe for decades and will be for many more. As already stated I would go with Tel's suggestion which will improve the safety of the entire circuit and be a worthwhile upgrade.
If that is not possible/customer declines cost I refuse to go down the farcical route of an RCD for one lounge socket and would just install it and label it "Not for general use".On the MW form I would state that the socket has been installed without RCD protection for a specific item of equipment.
Thats my take on it,many wont agree,nor am I suggesting it is technically the correct approach.

Really appreciate you elaborating for me. Far happier getting a fuller understanding rather than just quoting whatever the regs states. My client is open to whatever the best route is so will definitely try my best to go with Tel's as it makes sense. At least now I can fully explain it to her, rather than just saying 'that's what the regs state', and then she can make an informed decision.

Just tell the customer the cuircuit needs rcd protection if they are not prepared for the upgrade don't do the job wouldn't be more than a 100 any how's .

............ the setup has been safe for decades and will be for many more.

By extension, you could dismiss all editions and regs all the way back to the two sides of A4 that were the 1st Edition. :)

.... that the installer/homeowner can jointly agree what is practical

Would you seriously consider getting into discussions with customers about what or doesn't comply with the regs because it might not be considered practical or awkward or cost more or ...., you're creating a Cat 'o Nine Tails for your own back!

Think of some muppet who's got his hands a copy of the regs and thinks he understands them or has gone on an internet forum and got some advice...need I say more?

Just tell them, to comply with current regulations, the job needs to be done 'this way', end of!!!

[QUOTE=Archy Styrigg;887885]By extension, you could dismiss all editions and regs all the way back to the two sides of A4 that were the 1st Edition. :)

Would you seriously consider getting into discussions with customers about what or doesn't comply with the regs because it might not be considered practical or awkward or cost more or ...., you're creating a Cat 'o Nine Tails for your own back!

Think of some muppet who's got his hands a copy of the regs and thinks he understands them or has gone on an internet forum and got some advice...need I say more?

Just tell them, to comply with current regulations, the job needs to be done 'this way', end of!!![/
QUOTE]

Agree if you are telling them they have to RCD the whole circuit....dont agree if you are telling them their one table lamp socket has to be on an RCD when nothing else in the house is.

Wouldn't that be a little extreme for one socket ,you are then responsible for any faults that arise on other circuits not practical for a single socket addition.

Wouldn't that be a little extreme for one socket ,you are then responsible for any faults that arise on other circuits not practical for a single socket addition.

Maybe , you would test all circuits prior, just don't like breaking out of cu just to rcd one circuit!!?, would rather change the cu.

It's about being practical if you are supplying a new socket lets say £70 you then tell the customer you need a new rcd board with eic to supply one socket at £350 what would you say?

Generally with a 4 year apprenticeship

I got me an apprentaship, best way to describe most of the guys is.

Dodgy dave, neville and an adhd midget.

Its a great apprentaship with our own monkeys in house to show you the wrong way so you't have don't have to make the mistake XD

A lot of bms work so see a lot of crap hit the fan so need to constantly re purposes cables, add more, deviate from panel drawings because it needs panel mods but no one nows what because they havent been delivered to site yet.

Its a great apprentaship with our own monkeys in house to show you the wrong way so you't have don't have to make the mistake XD

A lot of bms work so see a lot of crap hit the fan so need to constantly re purposes cables, add more, deviate from panel drawings because it needs panel mods but no one nows what because they havent been delivered to site yet.

Hu??
You on the drink?

Boydy

Forget the apprenticeship and take an english course.

Reply to Adding a spur to an existing circuit on a BS3036 CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net