Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Adding an extra light fitting and switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think the OP did ask a fair question on this occassion, and didn't say anything wrong. However when he started to Brag how easy everything is and how Brilliant he is my interest Flagged a bit, we are now at each others throats again, even more evidence how fed up we all are with everything these days haha, chin up fellas, Chin up.

I think Brock has got the answers he needs.
If your adding cable to a circuit, your altering the characteristics of that circuit, and if your adding cable you should be testing R2 or R1+R2, insulation resistance and Zs and putting them on at least a MWC, it's plain as the nose in your face , if there is a basin in the room then it's a special location and needs notifying , we don't all play by the rules, but the above is what I would do

I think the OP did ask a fair question on this occassion, and didn't say anything wrong. However when he started to Brag how easy everything is and how Brilliant he is my interest Flagged a bit, we are now at each others throats again, even more evidence how fed up we all are with everything these days haha, chin up fellas, Chin up.

Good points MJD.....I'm chilled,will be very chilled shortly as I'm off to Eastbourne sea fishing now.:sifone:

My opinion for what it's worth. I have read these forum posts for a lot of months now, and it has always been enjoyable and informative. However, as time goes on the replies are getting less and less helpful and more and more offensive, which is a shame. I know there are a lot of stupid questions lately, but don't forget, the people who ask some of these questions know nothing of part-P, special locations, etc. Anyone having a problem will search on the internet, and quite often stumble across sites like this.

Questions from plumbers are not welcome, questions from people who do 'Electrical Trainee' don't seem to be welcome any more. As soon as DIY is mentioned, then certain people just go off on one. Do you want to make it that no-one other than fully qualified sparks can fit plugs, change bulbs, move a switch/light fitting? It ain't going to happen.

I suggest that unless you are happy to receive posts from non-qualifieid electricians, then you make it that people have to sign up and prove their qualifications before they can post. Careful though, I've seen some of qualified guys ask questions that I would have thought should be known already.

As I've said before, if one of you guys asked a question on a car repairs forum/PC forum, etc., you wouldn't expect an offensive answer, even if you asked what they though was a silly question.

Think I've gone on enough now! My opinion only, feel free to shoot me down for this. :) Daz

DPG if the comment about DIY is having a dig at me....then heres my opinion on it, and my opinion only - as i found out today, electricians have different views on things lol.

I see it perfectlly acceptable to change a bulb, change a light fitting, change light / socket covers if you're a DIY'er.

My issue is when you have to put a fresh wire in, i think this should be left to the professionals.

DPG if the comment about DIY is having a dig at me....then heres my opinion on it, and my opinion only - as i found out today, electricians have different views on things lol.

I see it perfectlly acceptable to change a bulb, change a light fitting, change light / socket covers if you're a DIY'er.

My issue is when you have to put a fresh wire in, i think this should be left to the professionals.

Not aimed at you, no. Daz

A lot of sniping is caused by people putting things like 'This thread should be binned' when to be honest the OP asked a reasonable question. Daz

To be honest im not keen on all the arguing either llan, and i appologise if i've ever come across as a d*** at any time.

To wirepuller, if you're reading this - i know you're a competent sparks, and i don't mean to come across the way i do sometimes - it's just a difference in opinion buddy. No hard feelings :)

You didn't offend anyone brock, the post just got out of hand - suppose you can put it down to us all being passionate about our profession, and inveitably it leads to a difference in opinion.

Wouldn't go as far to say as bullying though buddy - we're all grown men here lol :)

Wasn't to u mark or anyone in particular m8

Aye i know buddy i was just generally saying to everyone who uses this forum that im sorry if i've ever come across as a...how to say this without swearing, an unpleasant guy lol!

:) its a new year, think we all need to chill abit really - the problem is we've all been stuck with the wifes / fiances / partners over the festive period and not been out on-site with the lads so it gets over-heated...lets just blame it on the women anyway haha.

^^ spot on ^^

I'm finding that standard practice these days is that most threads turn Into situations where we are all having to justify our methods to each other ect.....not good, maybe I've been guilty of it myself, before Xmas I said to myself i wanted to contribute more to the forum , I've been trying to , from now on I will just keep my replies short & on topic , I don't come on here to get involved in the slagging off matches, get enough of that elsewhere

Although, having just said "its a new year" ...i've not exactly started it the best, had a letter come through the door from humberside police this morning - was caught doing 43mph in a 30 on 29th december so gotta send my details off - not a great start is it haha.

I don't intentionally get involved in slagging off matches either, it just sort of happens lol. But yeah, glad too see you're wanting to contribute alot more, it's good to hear from someone with a high-tollerance level (ref: english living in wales) :)

Thread's, like Sintra pointed out the other day go off-topic far to easily and im probably just as much to blame but hey-ho onwards and upwards, roll on 2013 and my inevitable driving awareness course haha.

You lot are rubbish. If were not allowed to bombard people with banter and gentle abuse, then where is the fun.

Pffft, spoil sports.

Brock doesnt mind, he can take it, if not he'll go to his shed and fetch out his high torque voltage creeper and pull your nipples off with it. Then send you off to the armpit of Mordor in a home built Satellite made from old sardine tins and condom wrappers....then you'll be sorry!

:winkiss:

?................- was caught doing 43mph in a 30

...........................roll on 2013 and my inevitable driving awareness course haha.

sorry to inform u but I don't think it will be a driver awareness course for doing 43 in a 30 zone. More likely to be a fine and points.
Hope u are lucky enough to only have to do the course.

dont know about anyone else, but where I live I think jumping red lights is more common/serious than speeding round here but nothing is done about it

Why oh why did I bother going to work today when this post has been running.
i didn't realise I was missing so much.

its virtually been a session of Jeremy Kyle via the electricians forum.

Thanks KevinS...made my day lol

There was something in the back of my head telling me that if you're caught doing 10mph over the speed-limit then you don't have the option of the speed awareness course, great stuff lol.

Thanks KevinS...made my day lol

There was something in the back of my head telling me that if you're caught doing 10mph over the speed-limit then you don't have the option of the speed awareness course, great stuff lol.

I don't think it's a set amount over the speed limit. I think it's more of a percentage. Ie I think you can get away with 77 on a 70 zone, (7mph over the limit) but they won't let you away with 37 in a 30 zone.

sorry for being the bearer of bad news. Just grit your teeth, pay the robbing government, and try n slow down.

All you guys that are back slapping and apologising, please can you get a room :) This forum wouldn't be the same (minefield) if everyone was nice to each other and every thread didn't degrade into a rant about Electrical Trainee's, Part P etc etc

Reply to Adding an extra light fitting and switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net