Discuss Additional Kitchen ring? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

A client is having a new kitchen installed and they have requested 8 new sockets in various places, there are currently 8 sockets installed.

The consumer unit has couple of spare ways and located in the kitchen, also Im installing downlight from below so the ceiling will be no problem to make holes etc.. I could also install majority of the new ring without removing any old units or causing much disruption for the client

I was just after some opinions whether to install a new ring main for the new sockets or just extend the existing ring main circuit. Its a 5 bed detached house and it has two existing rings..sockets up and down & kitchen and utility

All advice greatly appreciated

Hi

A client is having a new kitchen installed and they have requested 8 new sockets in various places, there are currently 8 sockets installed.

The consumer unit has couple of spare ways and located in the kitchen, also Im installing downlight from below so the ceiling will be no problem to make holes etc.. I could also install majority of the new ring without removing any old units or causing much disruption for the client

I was just after some opinions whether to install a new ring main for the new sockets or just extend the existing ring main circuit. Its a 5 bed detached house and it has two existing rings..sockets up and down & kitchen and utility

All advice greatly appreciated
32Amp 4mm2 Radial

If you install a new ring then it will be notifiable.
I don't really like the idea of having to switch off two breakers to isolate all the kitchen sockets. IMO (depending on the layout and what they are using) one circuit would be better.

Is the kitchen a dedicatd RFC or is it supplying other rooms in the property, is there a spur for garage etc?

I'm with Pete, a 32 amp radial would be simple enough to install.

Find out what is going to be plugged in. Work out what the maximum (although unlikely) current is going to be, then do the maths.
If the existing ring cable (you did say that the kitchen had it's own ring) can support the load then make sure the protective device can protect the cable and simply extend the ring.
I worry sometimes that I over simplify problems.
But it does seem to work.

Then consider common sense .............. a customer can only use so many appliances / accessories at once

AND go back in time and lots of houses only had 1 socket circuit and that often included the immersion.

Extend what you have.

Reply to Additional Kitchen ring? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net