Discuss Bonding gas/water yellow and blue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yellow OSG Sec 4.5 'Main protective bonding of plastic services'. There's no shock here (excuse the pun), it says there's no requirement to bond plastic services.

Continuing on page 46; 'Where there is a plastic service and a metal installation within the premises, main bonding is recommended unless it has been confirmed that any metallic pipework within the building is not introducing Earth potential (see 4.3, (referencing to reg 411.3.1.2).

I have had a quick shufty through GN8, and can't seem to find specific mention of the above scenario.

What do you make of the definition of extraneous-conductive-part in BS7671?
That was 16mins :eek::p

NHBC “snagged” me on this on some new builds, yellow plastic incoming on the gas with about a meter of copper on show ran inside a garage clearly not extraneous and tested to prove so. Even after exerts sent from regs/osg apparently it wasn’t acceptable and they wouldn’t issue their cert or warranty. I was very annoyed as I had to go back and bond all of them which cost me money and made me look like I was in the wrong. He said “everyone else runs an earth to it so you are clearly in the wrong” could of smacked the smug ---.

Even if the incoming services are not plastic and are bonded at entry, you would bond again if services are buried in the ground within the premises.

Never knew that.

Can you reference that for me and explain why is it’s a continuous copper pipe?

Unless the reason is you don’t know it’s a continuous pipe? But that’s a simple test....I’m confused.

Even if the incoming services are not plastic and are bonded at entry, you would bond again if services are buried in the ground within the premises.

Even if it’s the same continuous pipe?

You wouldn’t do that to every leg of a steel structure...

I would expect you to if those legs are not connected together above ground.

Yes, obviously.

My confusion is the statement that you need to bond the same ‘pipe’ that ducks in and out of a floor.

2 extraneous parts I understand. The same extraneous part twice I do not.

Problem with pipework that ducks under ground, is you don’t know what is happening with it.
Is it continuous?
Has it corroded?
Is it protected against corrosion?
Are there branches, or is it itself a branch?
Can you guarantee the pipe will never be disconnected?

The other problem is that the minimum CSA for an Earth conductor buried in the ground and not protected against corrosion by a sheath is 25mm2, 16mm2 if protected.

Can someone reference the reg for testing an extraneous-conductive-part, in the examples given by 411.3.1.2. I only ask that, you would not need to test (those examples), as the reg says they have to be bonded, end of?

re spinlondon's post:

The other problem is that the minimum CSA for an Earth conductor buried in the ground and not protected against corrosion by a sheath is 25mm2, 16mm2 if protected.

sureley that's for an earthing conductor, as in connected to a rod., not for a bonding conductor?

re spinlondon's post:

sureley that's for an earthing conductor, as in connected to a rod., not for a bonding conductor?
Agree that would make nonsense of the 4mm2 non protected and 2.5mm2 protected rules for supplementary bonding conductors, wouldn't it? Or has that been changed?

Last edited:
When the 18th is published it looks like they have put it in black and white that if the incomer is plastic then doesn't need bonding.
That sounds promising Lee! Where did you see that, can you post a link please?

Reply to Bonding gas/water yellow and blue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net