Discuss building inspector not happy!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

My local BC have categorically stated as a matter of policy that they do not accept EICRs for new builds, they will only accept an EIC (because that's what the regs say). Not sure where exactly that would leave the OP down here!!
I gather they ALL have this as "a policy",but due to the sheer number of these eventualities,a way round is usually found. If this wasn't true,there would be less completion certs,less sales and less progression. Think of it like the signs you see in shops that state "We always prosecute shoplifters"....well,they don't. I have seen and dealt with these "cast in stone" scenarios from cavity sizes,window spec and many other aspects of build regulation. Remember,the BC inspectors oversee the minimum required codes,which does not mean you cannot challenge those with better specification. Also,BC inspectors are only human,and i have found them (mostly),to be knowledgeable and minded,if they possibly can,to assist. I was chatting to one such fellow and he was relating some of the sights he's come across which would make you wince,including an entire side addition built to DPC with not 2 bricks laid to a bond (think 5 year old with building blocks...) marvellous:troll:

Do yourself a favour and walk (run) away.
If you get involved with a "well off" developer at this stage in your career you will eventually be sucked in ££ and blackened. Think dance with the devil/playing with fire.

Boydy

Not a chance Boydy, I'd never be able to look my father in the eye again if I did that! It may sound a bit unlikely but I'm more interested in doing a good job than the bucks.

Beats me why HHD even looked at the job in the first place.

A simple "get stuffed" solves the problem.

It wasn't quite as simple as that Tony. The 'third' electrician called in was a friend of mine who is an Industrial electrican and didn't have a great understanding of the paperwork/regs, he asked me over for advice and said can I sign it off. I said 'No', but I could do an EICR. Theres no harm in me doing an EICR and I was all set to get started when the Inspector said he's going to 'think about it' as he wasn't happy with an EICR.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what the Inspector says!

I gather they ALL have this as "a policy",but due to the sheer number of these eventualities,a way round is usually found. If this wasn't true,there would be less completion certs,less sales and less progression. Think of it like the signs you see in shops that state "We always prosecute shoplifters"....well,they don't. I have seen and dealt with these "cast in stone" scenarios from cavity sizes,window spec and many other aspects of build regulation. Remember,the BC inspectors oversee the minimum required codes,which does not mean you cannot challenge those with better specification. Also,BC inspectors are only human,and i have found them (mostly),to be knowledgeable and minded,if they possibly can,to assist. I was chatting to one such fellow and he was relating some of the sights he's come across which would make you wince,including an entire side addition built to DPC with not 2 bricks laid to a bond (think 5 year old with building blocks...) marvellous:troll:

My own local guy down here is utterly, absolutely, 100% 'by the book'. I'll have to ask him next time I see him what he'd do in that situation!

Afternoon all..

I have recently been asked if I would sign off a new installation (large new build house) that I had not installed, I said 'no' and explained that I could supply an EICR. Even after a brief look around I could see a number of problems.

The building Inspector has said that he is not happy with an EICR and is going to 'have a think' about what to suggest.

Being new to this industry I wondered what you guys do when this situation arises? I.e new build where the electrician has walked out for whatever reason so the work cannot be supplied with a EIC and the Inspector is not happy with an EICR from a third party?

Cheers..
LOL...

heard it all now....

could hippyhappy say to client the only way i could sign it off is to remove all accessories lift floor boards in every room test & trace every circuit & rectify anything that is wrong ,could take a full week depending on whats found lacking tell them your daily price and an upfront payment all detailed in writing and signed for

could hippyhappy say to client the only way i could sign it off is to remove all accessories lift floor boards in every room test & trace every circuit & rectify anything that is wrong ,could take a full week depending on whats found lacking tell them your daily price and an upfront payment all detailed in writing and signed for
if you dont get the joke then dont make the quote

Afternoon all..

I have recently been asked if I would sign off a new installation (large new build house) that I had not installed, I said 'no' and explained that I could supply an EICR. Even after a brief look around I could see a number of problems.

The building Inspector has said that he is not happy with an EICR and is going to 'have a think' about what to suggest.

Being new to this industry I wondered what you guys do when this situation arises? I.e new build where the electrician has walked out for whatever reason so the work cannot be supplied with a EIC and the Inspector is not happy with an EICR from a third party?

Cheers..
now you know how i feel when i decide to have a look about in here and certain members (usual suspects) are `in`.....

oh i think i`ll be OK this time.....i think...

but come on lets face it...i am a victim in here really....for telling the truth...
As long as Dan is running this place as a business, which he most certainly is, you, me and all the other qualified sparks are in second place to the nupties, they out number us 100 to one, the sponsors paying Dan the big bucks need to see members browsing, the fact they can burn someones house down is irrelevent, the forum may be called electricians forums but providing there is posting going on the actual theme of the posts doesn't bother Dan one bit. I expect the admins have been told as well, the Electrical Trainee and 17 day Part pee ers are to be protected at all costs lol.

As long as Dan is running this place as a business, which he most certainly is, you, me and all the other qualified sparks are in second place to the nupties, they out number us 100 to one, the sponsors paying Dan the big bucks need to see members browsing, the fact they can burn someones house down is irrelevent, the forum may be called electricians forums but providing there is posting going on the actual theme of the posts doesn't bother Dan one bit. I expect the admins have been told as well, the Electrical Trainee and 17 day Part pee ers are to be protected at all costs lol.

Behave youself or you will be getting the next ban LOL

Anyhow it is all getting silly here now, most of you are acting like big gay boys, (not you ian) no sense of humour and it is like walking on broken glass here, someone asks a question, he gets a few replies, he doesn't like one or two and starts acting like a clown, why post a question if you don't want to hear anything other than an answer you want to hear even if it is wrong, gay boys.

Reply to building inspector not happy!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net