Discuss Can't get an electrician to come out for a small job! So help needed! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Novice

-
Reaction score
Hi Due to Covid, I can't get an electrician to come out to fit a single semi flush lamp. So I am going to fit it myself.

So some advice would be very helpful - but if you live local to Stratford Upon Avon and happy to come out for a small job, please let me know.

At the moment there is a standard ceiling rose with what looks like 3 (red) loop wires.

I have looked at some online videos and they say use a Way Go connector for the loop wires - is this correct?

Fixing and assembling I can do - but I want to make sure that I am wiring the electrics properly.

I've attached some photos - is there any tips you can offer?

Thanks in advance!

if you have 3 reds, wago them but do not connect to light. then you will have 3 blacks. 2 will be N to light, 1 will be switched L to light. hoefully the switched L (black) will have a bit of red sleeve onit. make sure the earths are all connected and also to the light if it has provision for earths.

Attachments

• Rose_9349.JPG
    350.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Light 1-0700.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Light 2-0702.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Light 3-0701.jpg
    638.5 KB · Views: 79
Hi Due to Covid, I can't get an electrician to come out to fit a single semi flush lamp. So I am going to fit it myself.

So some advice would be very helpful - but if you live local to Stratford Upon Avon and happy to come out for a small job, please let me know.

At the moment there is a standard ceiling rose with what looks like 3 (red) loop wires.

I have looked at some online videos and they say use a Way Go connector for the loop wires - is this correct?

Fixing and assembling I can do - but I want to make sure that I am wiring the electrics properly.

I've attached some photos - is there any tips you can offer?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Rose_9349.JPG
    350.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Light 1-0700.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Light 2-0702.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Light 3-0701.jpg
    638.5 KB · Views: 36
Was that earth wire already out of that terminal?

if you have 3 reds, wago them but do not connect to light. then you will have 3 blacks. 2 will be N to light, 1 will be switched L to light. hoefully the switched L (black) will have a bit of red sleeve onit. make sure the earths are all connected and also to the light if it has provision for earths.
Thanks for this. Here are the photos. There are not 3 black.

Attachments

• Rose_9349.JPG
    350.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Light 1-0700.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Light 2-0702.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Light 3-0701.jpg
    638.5 KB · Views: 86
You have two reds and two blacks, one of the blacks has a red sleeve.
The one with the red sleeve on should be the switched live to the light (to brown). The black with no sleeve should be the neutral to the light (to blues) the remaining two reds to go into a two way wago. As the light fitting is double insulated/class2 the two earths (cpc's) can also go into a two way wago. Ensure all cables are pulled into the new fitting with no wires exposed in the ceiling void.
I do however suggest you employ an electrician to ensure correct polarity

Last edited by a moderator:
You have two reds and two blacks, one of the blacks has a red sleeve.
The one with the red sleeve on should be the switched live to the light (to brown). The black with no sleeve should be the neutral to the light (to blues) the remaining two reds to go into a two way wago. As the light fitting is double insulated/class2 the two earths (cpc's) can also go into a two way wago. Ensure all cables are pulled into the new fitting with no wires exposed in the ceiling void.
I do however suggest you employ an electrician to ensure correct polarity
Thanks, that is very helpful. Now I see that I do have two blacks (one disguised as red!). Do I push the two reds with wago and the two earths with wago into the ceiling void (making sure there are no exposed wires). So there will only be two wires (black and black with red sleeve) pulled through to the new light terminal. I have posted the job on mybuilder - but I think it is too small a job so had no responses yet!

I'm not convinced My Builder is the best way to find someone; is there nobody local to you who can recommend someone?

Those lights are very poorly designed. They have no provision for earthing because they have supplied a sleaving( the big black one) for one cable which they state makes it double insulated. you have two cables. The permanent live and neutral & the switch live.

No provision has been made for two cables, therefore to fit it the cables would no longer be double insulated. And if it’s not double insulated it needs earthing.

i personally refuse to fit these lights. It’s a cheap way of getting around a design flaw that in fact hasn’t Been rectified.

Reply to Can't get an electrician to come out for a small job! So help needed! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net