Discuss Can't get an electrician to come out for a small job! So help needed! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You have two reds and two blacks, one of the blacks has a red sleeve.
The one with the red sleeve on should be the switched live to the light (to brown). The black with no sleeve should be the neutral to the light (to blues) the remaining two reds to go into a two way wago. As the light fitting is double insulated/class2 the two earths (cpc's) can also go into a two way wago. Ensure all cables are pulled into the new fitting with no wires exposed in the ceiling void.
I do however suggest you employ an electrician to ensure correct polarity
You can't pull the PLs in to the fitting to wago as they'll not be double insulated, it is the black rubber boot and crappy plastic box that offers the class2ness of the fitting.

I hate these, you have to wago box all the cables and run a flex to the light, PITA.

To be fare. How would John Lewis know. These lights are legal. And they are not electricians. They are retailers.

and don’t knock yourself for this. Another better designed light and you very well may have Ben able to sort it Yourself.
Sorry Pete that's a cop out, they damp well should know, they are selling cheaply made fashion lights at 'designer' prices.

Good money in it if you have no morals.

You can't pull the PLs in to the fitting to wago as they'll not be double insulated, it is the black rubber boot and crappy plastic box that offers the class2ness of the fitting.

I hate these, you have to wago box all the cables and run a flex to the light, PITA.
The rubber boot and the rest of the useless connection in these lights is irrelevant for maintaining class 2 if there are manufactured single insulated wires coming out the other side of it. These useless fittings boil everyone's blood. Good luck with anything except a single 1mm cable. While I'm at it... why the hell are the terminations on most dimmer modules so miniscule? 3 plated the switch position or wired in 1.5? Good luck!

I hope and pray that the designer of and the manufacturers that use those stupid white connector boxes with the tube sticking out, burn in hell for all eternity.

I've always wanted to visit one of these manufacturers just to ask them what they think they are doing, and to perhaps ask them to demonstrate installing their products to standard wiring systems.

This thread reminds me of a time I first fixed an extension bathroom and bedroom. I knew the lights were going to be chosen with the assistance of a lighting designer, but I did not know what models the fittings were going to be. So being the pessimistic person I am, I wired all the lights in such a way that there was only 1 1mm2 t&e cable at each fitting. Second fix time came, 2 models of light couldn't even be installed onto a single cable, it would only have been possible to install the lights in 0.5mm oval flex, and even then the cable entry was within millimetres of the fixing points...

Of course it's not all bad, you have to commend these lighting manufacturers for their equal opportunity employment policies, employing such large numbers of mentally disabled designers as they do.

With lights like these I just take out the horrible black sleeve and worlds smallest connector block, fit decent connectors and earth the fitting. Better put a tin hat on I suppose. ?
I totally appreciate all the advice and opinions that people have given - all very valid and it is reassuring to know that there are a lot of electricians out there who are genuinely very safety conscious. However, I was starting to doubt if there was an electrician with a solution to wiring this light in safely - do either you or telectrix live near Stratford Upon Avon ??

I very well may be mistaken, but for my eyes it looks like the singles in the light fitting have a clear heat-shrink or sleaving over them. Is this the case ?

Are you in Stratford as your postcode is Solihull ?
There is the clear sheathing over the insulation giving those conductors the double insulation required. It’s the issue of getting 2 cables into the black boot and maintaining double insulation that’s the issue.

There is the clear sheathing over the insulation giving those conductors the double insulation required. It’s the issue of getting 2 cables into the black boot and maintaining double insulation that’s the issue.
I'm not saying it's a good fitting I'm just checking (my eyes) to see if there is a clear sleeve over the wiring or not.

I assume ????? the design idea behind the black boot is that a homeowner just cuts off the existing bayonet fitting from the pendant strips back the two core flex to a shorter length and somehow fits the whole fitting over the ceiling rose, therefore no need for two cables to enter. Very novel!!

I'm not saying it's a good fitting I'm just checking (my eyes) to see if there is a clear sleeve over the wiring or not.

I assume ????? the design idea behind the black boot is that a homeowner just cuts off the existing bayonet fitting from the pendant strips back the two core flex to a shorter length and somehow fits the whole fitting over the ceiling rose, therefore no need for two cables to enter. Very novel!!
in other words, a light designed by someone who does not know the difference between a screwdriver and his arse.

I totally appreciate all the advice and opinions that people have given - all very valid and it is reassuring to know that there are a lot of electricians out there who are genuinely very safety conscious. However, I was starting to doubt if there was an electrician with a solution to wiring this light in safely - do either you or telectrix live near Stratford Upon Avon ??
I'm sorry mate, I'm in Cornwall and Telectrix is in Scouseland so from either direction it wouldn't be a cheap job. ??

Only just seen this thread, which side of Stratford upon Avon are you? I do cover Leamington Warwick and the surrounding area but Stratford is a good hour away from me as I am on the border between Northamptonshire Warwickshire and Leicestershire. If you are not in a major rush I have to look at a job out that way in a couple of weeks I could detour past and fit it?!
Sy

Only just seen this thread, which side of Stratford upon Avon are you? I do cover Leamington Warwick and the surrounding area but Stratford is a good hour away from me as I am on the border between Northamptonshire Warwickshire and Leicestershire. If you are not in a major rush I have to look at a job out that way in a couple of weeks I could detour past and fit it?!
Sy
That sounds like a plan - happy to wait, as I can't go back to John Lewis yet because of lockdown. Are you happy to quote via here? Or is there an option to private message?

Reply to Can't get an electrician to come out for a small job! So help needed! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net