Discuss Can't get an electrician to come out for a small job! So help needed! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The biggest problem with that fitting is that it is tenuously Class II. To maintain this Class II then all connections of existing cables need making outside of the enclosure and a flex taken into the terminal enclosure. If you bring connections into the fitting it will need earthing.

Anyone here near to Stratford Upon Avon ?
I’m not but if I was I wouldnt fit it.

really sorry for customers who buy these lights, because they buy them in good faith thinking old light down new light up.

@Novice you dId nothing wrong in your purchase. You could not possibly know wh3n purchasing the issue with this light. In fact the retailer who sold you this light wouldn’t know.

I would be taking it back and asking for refund If that’s possible.

The biggest problem with that fitting is that it is tenuously Class II. To maintain this Class II then all connections of existing cables need making outside of the enclosure and a flex taken into the terminal enclosure. If you bring connections into the fitting it will need earthing.
I did think this! But obviously not being experienced I wasn't sure. Looking at the instructions I couldn't figure out if a flex was needed or not! This is beyond me - I will definitely be employing an electrician. Hope I get one who knows as much as you guys!

I did think this! But obviously not being experienced I wasn't sure. Looking at the instructions I couldn't figure out if a flex was needed or not! This is beyond me - I will definitely be employing an electrician. Hope I get one who knows as much as you guys!
There is bound to be someone on hear close to you Who can help.

give someone time to respond.

dispite my doom and gloom response to these fittings there is a way around this, but it will be a little bit more work involved than a simple swap.

M
I’m not but if I was I wouldnt fit it.

really sorry for customers who buy these lights, because they buy them in good faith thinking old light down new light up.

@Novice you dId nothing wrong in your purchase. You could not possibly know wh3n purchasing the issue with this light. In fact the retailer who sold you this light wouldn’t know.

I would be taking it back and asking for refund If that’s possible.
May just do that - it is John Lewis and they are pretty good at taking things back. When I ordered it they did offer a fitting service for £59 which I didn't think I'd need - but in hindsight I should of just booked it, as I can't get an electrician to come out!!

M

May just do that - it is John Lewis and they are pretty good at taking things back. When I ordered it they did offer a fitting service for £59 which I didn't think I'd need - but in hindsight I should of just booked it, as I can't get an electrician to come out!!
That’s a good service. See if you can go with it. Be interesting to see how the retailers sparkies do it.

whatever you do please come back and let us know.

edit @westwood10 you beat me to it.

I'm no expert but have doubts whether it could ever pass a class 2 rating with their own single insulated conductors that will more than likely meet the tin foil once put into place.
Sorry to go on Novice :)
John Lewis do have an excellent returns / replacement policy, their price was pretty fair but as Westward10 has said, would liked to have seen the installation.
Unfortunately, many (or most) light fittings in this price range and many more expensive, fail miserably with their design - wall lights normally being the worst.

It

was the cost of fitting the that @westwood got wrong and I corrected.

it wasn’t aimed at the cost of the light
Oh that makes sense now - I was a bit confused about £45? It is annoying that John Lewis hasn't put more thought into what the are selling insofar as new light fixings. I am laughing (well a bit of a giggle) thinking that I could just fix it myself!! Thanks all for your advice!

Just having a read of the instructions and it says to wrap the connections in insulating tape, that must be how you maintain class 2.........

I used to recommend people buy John Lewis light fittings but that was a good few years ago before they started using these awful connections.

If this was to be installed without the tape does that mean it doesn't comply with manufacturers instructions!?

Oh that makes sense now - I was a bit confused about £45? It is annoying that John Lewis hasn't put more thought into what the are selling insofar as new light fixings. I am laughing (well a bit of a giggle) thinking that I could just fix it myself!! Thanks all for your advice!
To be fare. How would John Lewis know. These lights are legal. And they are not electricians. They are retailers.

and don’t knock yourself for this. Another better designed light and you very well may have Ben able to sort it Yourself.

Just having a read of the instructions and it says to wrap the connections in insulating tape, that must be how you maintain class 2.........

I used to recommend people buy John Lewis light fittings but that was a good few years ago before they started using these awful connections.

If this was to be installed without the tape does that mean it doesn't comply with manufacturers instructions!?
Wow.

if the instructions state this they must know the fittings are not up to a acceptable standard.

using electricians insulating tape is clearly a cheap quick fix of the issue these fittings have.

I’m pretty amazed that any instruction in an electrical fitting require insulating tape as part of the installation To ensure safety.

You have two reds and two blacks, one of the blacks has a red sleeve.
The one with the red sleeve on should be the switched live to the light (to brown). The black with no sleeve should be the neutral to the light (to blues) the remaining two reds to go into a two way wago. As the light fitting is double insulated/class2 the two earths (cpc's) can also go into a two way wago. Ensure all cables are pulled into the new fitting with no wires exposed in the ceiling void.
I do however suggest you employ an electrician to ensure correct polarity
spot on.similar to wtaht i sed before the pics were posted.

Reply to Can't get an electrician to come out for a small job! So help needed! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net