Discuss Claiming Jobseekers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Agreed. Therefore, I would not promote this, but utilise the benefits system in the best way you can. Others do it. By the way Im in nottingham also is work that low in our area. Also do you do any maintenance type work?

What is totally unacceptable is that people who claim income based job seekers allowance are treated very differently in the benefits system versus those claiming contributions based.

I thought that the benefits system was "universal" but its not.

Agreed. Therefore, I would not promote this, but utilise the benefits system in the best way you can. Others do it. By the way Im in nottingham also is work that low in our area. Also do you do any maintenance type work?

Yes it seems very quiet at the moment, I have been taken on other little jobs recently to try and keep the money coming in, but obviously trying to get them over established companies is like starting anew business altogether again.

I would gladly take on maintenace work, why do you have some for me ;)

What is totally unacceptable is that people who claim income based job seekers allowance are treated very differently in the benefits system versus those claiming contributions based.

It is a sad state of affairs when we can't even treat everyone the same regardless of their circumstances. Yes some people extract the urine when it comes to benfits but because of that everyone who claims seems to get tarred with the same brush.

It is a sad state of affairs when we can't even treat everyone the same regardless of their circumstances. Yes some people extract the urine when it comes to benfits but because of that everyone who claims seems to get tarred with the same brush.

Just think of how much money they could save by simply doing away with this "simple" change.

Might just write to my MP!

As it stands, those who contibute the least get the most and those who contribute the most get the least.

What does this mean and who qualifies for each ?
I thought "on the Dole" was just one benefit

Just been told the system,its weird,it seems to be weighed in favour of the folks who have never worked

Last edited:
If you have paid enough national insurance contributions in the past then you will qualify for NI based JSA for six months.
If you have not paid enough NI and you have no income then you qualify for income based JSA.
For the first you get no help, no free stuff, etc.
For the second everything is given to you on a plate.

If you have paid enough national insurance contributions in the past then you will qualify for NI based JSA for six months.
If you have not paid enough NI and you have no income then you qualify for income based JSA.
For the first you get no help, no free stuff, etc.
For the second everything is given to you on a plate.

One of the (many) things that gets on my t**s, is when I and other folk who have worked hard & paid our dues into the system and then fall upon hard times, go into the Jobcentre to make a claim & we're expected to know what to ask for & what we're entitled to, and when we don't, the benefits "advisor" looks at us like we're stupid.

Meanwhile, at the next desk, there's the chocolate- brown lady with her headscarf who has contributed very little - if anything - having everything explained to her to the nth degree !!!!

So much for equality !!!!

I have had the good fortune so far of never needing to get inbolved in JSA - so i am curious as to what the rates are so to speak.

If i strolled down the JC tomorrow to sign on, what sort of money would i be expecting a week? Fortunately i am in full time employment as a maintenance manager and have a salary so my piece of mind is in tact thus far - but id love to know what my hard earned salary goes toward paying for all those graft dodgers out there who just lay around and soak up the "good will" of the system and the hard work that us lot do to pay for it.

Those who contribute to the system, should by deault be first in line to get a helping hand when things turn a little shi*e for them. Is that not what "national INSURANCE" is all about. If you dont contribute toward it, then pick up a local paper and start looking for work. plenty of jobs going no matter what people say, its pride that puts a stop to work.

So someone humour me please.

I live in Blackpool , any one can come and stay lol.
If donkey rides , candy floss or cheap hookers is your thing , we rock.
;-D

Cheers Trev, having read most of the posts on here, it seems alot of resentment to people who sign on.

Now I know I don't have to justify why but feel maybe I can get a point across. I am 35 years old, worked full time since I left school at 16 and paid all my taxes. I have been self employed since the beginning of the year. I have joined a scheme paid my insurances. My van remains taxed and insured at all times.

I have had a reasonable amount of work come in too survive, but recently it seems to have dried up. Now looking on this forum it is not just me having this problem.

But there comes a time when you don't have money but the bills and rent still need paying every month, my partner only works part time, but is looking for another job or full time work but can't get anything.

Now unlike some people who seem to have a reasonable amount of money saved up and don't see a need to do it, I am not in a privileged position to be able to do that. Although I have waited as long as possible before actually doing it in the hope work would come in. Now the strange thing is I have priced 3 jobs up in the 4 days although not heard of I have any of them yet.

The system is there to help folk when in need, now I know opinions divide on this but when i have paid my dues surely I am entitled to take from a pot that I have contributed too for the last 19 years?

Nobody is having a crack at you mate.
I have signed on many times last year,I did not like doing it and jumping through hoops to get buttons,but I still did it.
This thread has just wondered a bit.

Reply to Claiming Jobseekers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net