• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Crossed Polarity smart meter into mains in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HS2018

-
Reaction score
hello!

Just looking for some advise,
Basically we had an electrician fitting a new shower and lights yesterday, he tested a light socket before touching it (after turning all fuses off) and it was live... come to realisation an electrician working on behalf of an energy supplier had fitted the smartmeeter into the mains the wrong way round (crossed polarity?!) and all the sockets, light switches and light fittings were the same downstairs.
The electrician shut our electricity down straight away and told us we weren’t to turn anything on until the contractor came out to fix it as he couldn’t touch it, he said he’s amazed the house didn’t burn down (they came out, done reports, took photos 12 hours later with two children under 2 in the house) at 11pm
I’m just wondering how bad this is and where do we stand?
Obviously not getting much info from the energy suppliers and just wanted to know the best course of action

Thank you

The electrician has mislead you ...................... if the installation is safe then reverse polarity isn't a big "day to day issue"

Shutting the power down was unnecessary IMHO, especially that time of night.

I think you need him to justify, in writing, why he did this!

I'm not sure that I would agree that shutting down the power was unnecessary. Whilst the installation would function without issue if there were no other faults, if there were no RCDs present there would be very little protection against Live to earth faults.

I guess with RCDs present it would be much less of an issue, but without it wouldn't be that much safer than finding no fuses/overcurrent devices present at all

Sorry, basically the electrician said the neutral and live from the smart meter were going into the main fuse socket the wrong way round (neutral into live and vice verse)so when we thought the electric was off, it wasn’t
So this is no concern?

The smartmeter has been installed for a year
Our electrician done work before this and only come back yesterday as we needed the shower putting in- that’s when he noticed the smartmeter had been installed into the mains incorrectly

Last edited:
Sorry, basically the electrician said the neutral and live from the smart meter were going into the main fuse socket the wrong way round (neutral into live and vice verse)so when we thought the electric was off, it wasn’t
So this is no concern?

Got any pictures you can post?

If it's a modern consumer unit, the main switch will be double pole. So switching this off will have cut power across both live and neutral.

This is the only photo I could take before the contractor electrician came out again, of the mains unit, my electrician said it has no seals on it either from the man who fitted the smartmeter

Crossed Polarity smart meter into mains image - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Your "electrician" needs to do some reading ............... rather than scaring homeowners

As I previously stated "if the installation is safe then reverse polarity isn't a big "day to day issue"

It could be an issue is a DIYer or spark weren't practicing safe isolation .......
Thank you for your time and info

I take it from your initial post that your energy supplier (DNO) fitted your smart meter.
The "Electrician" who came to fit your new shower and located the reversed polarity of your new meter installation, should, in my opinion informed you immediately, and recommend you contact your DNO right away.
There was no need to switch your CU off, for the reason Rob has given, if the Reversed Polarity is infact the correct assumption, then your DNO want's a good kicking. Take this issue further if the installation of the meter was incorrect.

Hi - polarity is a basic test that should have been done by your meter installation person. Perhaps your Electrician was surprised to find it and was thinking "if they've got that wrong, what else?".

I take it from your initial post that your energy supplier (DNO) fitted your smart meter.
The "Electrician" who came to fit your new shower and located the reversed polarity of your new meter installation, should, in my opinion informed you immediately, and recommend you contact your DNO right away.
There was no need to switch your CU off, for the reason Rob has given, if the Reversed Polarity is infact the correct assumption, then you DNO want's a good kicking. Take this issue further if the installation of the meter was incorrect.
Thank you, yes this is correct, sorry if I confused one.
The DNO was told by his superior to cut off the supply until the morning (11am this morning) the DNO’s superior was also speaking of a disciplinary as I asked why he was taking so many photos.
I just wanted reassurance so thank you

The DNO was told by his superior to cut off the supply until the morning (11am this morning) the DNO’s superior was also speaking of a disciplinary as I asked why he was taking so many photos.
Also, it was a bit of a mess as our electrician couldn’t touch anything the contractor had done so I think he shut the power off just for safety until they could come to rectify the problem

Don't let the burgars fob you off with an apollogy, take it further, about time these Muppets got hauled over the coals.

Hi - polarity is a basic test that should have been done by your meter installation person. Perhaps your Electrician was surprised to find it and was thinking "if they've got that wrong, what else?".
Yes he said he’s never seen it before so turned the power off just in case. He also said he should’ve done the polarity test both before and after installing the meter, so thank you for making things a little clearer

He probably wanted to show the pictures to the training facility they use to train these Guys, "this how not to do it"

Yes he said he’s never seen it before so turned the power off just in case. He also said he should’ve done the polarity test both before and after installing the meter, so thank you for making things a little clearer
Don't let the burgars fob you off with an apollogy, take it further, about time these Muppets got hauled over the coals.

Thanks Pete, appreciated. As I know nothing of electricity and seeing so many people yesterday I’m confused to say the least. Just glad everything is safe now but want to get to the bottom of if it was a dangerous situation for my family and two girls under two!

He probably wanted to show the pictures to the training facility they use to train these Guys, "this how not to do it" mind you they only give the meter maid a volt stick to check polarity, or thats all the Guy had when he ckecked mine.

He probably wanted to show the pictures to the training facility they use to train these Guys, "this how not to do it" mind you theyonly give the meter maid a volt stick to check polarity,

:)
Partner has just had a telephone call from supplier..
A full investigation is going to take place into the contracting company and 60 of his jobs before and after our house, the HSE has been informed, ofcom(?) & trading standards so I guess it looked to be serious

Reply to Crossed Polarity smart meter into mains in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back