Discuss Cutters for 70mm tri rated Cable in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to be making abour 60 cuts of 70mm tri rated cable, and probably many hundred more of the same.

Whats the best way to cut it without knackering it up?

Do I need a pair of ratchet cutters?

Yep cable croppers - they are shaped better for circular cables and do clean cut ...because your doing a bulky cable many time and unless your built like a brick house then I would recommend ratchet croppers.
prcc400-500x500_cable_cutter.jpg

They are not that big tbh ...

Last edited:
i use these, there rated for 70mm but i havent tried them on anything bigger than 35mm yet

ed200b9bdf32564408bfa4a80b042360.jpg

cuts through micc like butter though.

knipex ratings are a little conservative. that little pair will happily cut 35mm tails

Last edited:
Hi,

I am going to be making abour 60 cuts of 70mm tri rated cable, and probably many hundred more of the same.

Whats the best way to cut it without knackering it up?

Do I need a pair of ratchet cutters?

Hi uksparks

What did you get in the end. Have to do something similar with 95mm so wondering what's best to get my self

Will that leave a clean end on tri-rated though? I've never used a saw on fine stranded, only cable shears, which take all of a second to go through 70mm so I'd be tempted to keep the bandsaw for armoured etc. I do keep separate shears for MICC and rough stuff, so that the ones used for the more delicate cables are as sharp as poss. When they start getting chipped or slack, they get demoted to the rough work and new ones take over the delicate.

Will that leave a clean end on tri-rated though? I've never used a saw on fine stranded, only cable shears, which take all of a second to go through 70mm so I'd be tempted to keep the bandsaw for armoured etc. I do keep separate shears for MICC and rough stuff, so that the ones used for the more delicate cables are as sharp as poss. When they start getting chipped or slack, they get demoted to the rough work and new ones take over the delicate.
what ones do you recomend

i use these, there rated for 70mm but i havent tried them on anything bigger than 35mm yet

ed200b9bdf32564408bfa4a80b042360.jpg

cuts through micc like butter though.

knipex ratings are a little conservative. that little pair will happily cut 35mm tails
I think cutting 70mm2 cable would be a struggle with them Shanks, especially lots of cuts.

I think cutting 70mm2 cable would be a struggle with them Shanks, especially lots of cuts.
tri-rated.

ill be honest you are right i was cutting some 25mm tails with them and i wouldnt like to try bigger.

apparently there rated toto 50 stranded and 70tri but i wouldnt try it on any bigger.

my 165mm pair of knipex seemed sharper (the bolt ruins the pair so they dont cut very well, the but came off somewhere)

Yes, a perfect cut.

Reply to Cutters for 70mm tri rated Cable in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net