Discuss D.I.Y. REWIRE-- A Step By Step Guide. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry to be short and blunt rsmck but I don't agree with what your doing, without formal and proper training (not books) I don't agree with you rewiring your house or anybody else for that matter, its wrong and dangerous and should be outlawed IMHO, Electricians don't sit maybe 15 separate exams over 4-5 years sometimes spending £1000's in course fee's and maybe an Apprenticeship and another £500 on a part p competent persons scheme for nothing you know, annoys me that somebody who can buy a £60 bs7671 and a book of amazon thinks they can rewire a house CORRECTLY

Take heed.
WHEN you get out of your depth, you may not find a sparks and if you do I hope they are very expensive

I do appreciate the risks involved this is why, even as a DIYer, I've spent some time studying the regs alongside the ECA's "Guide to the Wiring Regulations" and conducting the relevant tests (and recording the results)

Conducting the relevant tests - Once the install is completed i assume you are going to get it inspected & tested by a competent spark - as i'm sure your aware the test equipment required (to measure Zs and Pfc for example) is not cheap. A multifunction tester costs at least 500 notes....

Conducting the relevant tests - Once the install is completed i assume you are going to get it inspected & tested by a competent spark - as i'm sure your aware the test equipment required (to measure Zs and Pfc for example) is not cheap. A multifunction tester costs at least 500 notes....

I think my Fluke 1653B will be suitable, it's certainly helped so far :)

Just wondering if rmsck was thinking about joining our trade (properly)?

The thought had crossed my mind in the past... although for a variety of reasons the more physical bits (crawling about roof / floor voids etc) would become quite tricky through time as I have occasional problems with my back (old injury).. my desk-based job is probably more sensible :(

That said I spend a lot of time, when not working, clambering about, working at height and moving heavy stuff about in just the way my doc advised I probably shouldn't ... unfortunately I'd miss it too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my Fluke 1653B will be suitable, it's certainly helped so far :)

Another one using these popular multi function contraptions
icon13.png
icon7.png

Aim for quality and get yourself some decent individual instruments
icon6.png

icon12.png

Another one using these popular multi function contraptions
icon13.png
icon7.png

Aim for quality and get yourself some decent individual instruments
icon6.png

icon12.png

If I was an electrician... I probably would. I do have a single Kewtech Earth Loop tester that I inherited from someone else... oh and a Megger PAT tester inflicted on me by a former employer... that said it's not too useful for installations and I've no inclination whatsoever to start PAT testing appliances at home ;)

Its all the little things that need to be thought of.
I'll give one example which is where does it specifically say to put grommets in the knockouts of the back boxes?

I guarantee you an electrician would be able to pick out a dangerous mistake that has occurred from your installation.

How do you sleep at night.... Can see you on the next horlicks advert.



Look mate, sorry to burst your bubble but 99% of DIY sparkies ain't got a scoobie what they're doing. Its as simple as that. Sure they may be able to follow a nice wiring diagram but they won't have a clue when it comes to testing, safe zones for a bathroom, cable calcs etc etc. So whilst you may be able to convince your missus that you are saving a few quid - you are mugging yourself off at the same time. If DIY electrics was such an easy thing then it wouldn't be banned in most countries. However enjoy your DIY electrics whilst you can, because it will be banned here soon as well. Part P - Do you know what this is by the way? Is the first step to stopping Mr DIYer.
Sorry mate, but amateur electrics kill.

Sorry mate, but I have to disagree with a lot of that.

Firstly you're talking about "DIY sparkies", well there are a lot out there. There are idiots who couldn't fit a lighting pendant, and people like myself and rsmck, who aren't electricians by trade but are still competent.

I've not yet got my C&G (although they're well in the pipeline), but I've spent countless hours studying the regs. I've got copies of the OSG, Building Regs for Electricians as well as the Holy Bible 7671, all of which I've read inside out. If I don't know something, I look it up. From the tone of his posts, rsmck is similar.

If someone is on here asking for advice, I think it's pretty reasonable to expect that they're not a complete amateur, or "know it all" DIYer. People come here for advice because they want to do things right.

As for "amateur electrics kill", I think what you mean is "amateur electrics have the potential to kill". Seriously, how many stories do you read in the paper about people being electrocuted? My other half is an A+E doctor and has been for several years. She's yet to see someone in for treatment following a domestic electrics incident.

Des 56, are the individual instruments really better than multifunction testers? If they gave different readings, the MFs wouldn't get their calibration certs would they?

Its all the little things that need to be thought of.
I'll give one example which is where does it specifically say to put grommets in the knockouts of the back boxes?

Well that's common sense - when running a cable through something with sharp metal edges. - but in any event as far as I know not a legal requirement (the NICEIC confirm it's not a deficiency in it's own right but the cable sheath must be 'adequately protected from damage')

But in any event.. I would always use them.

I guarantee you an electrician would be able to pick out a dangerous mistake that has occurred from your installation.

I am confident they wouldn't find anything dangerous. There are a few things that aren't quite perfect ( data cables ran near mains, sockets at wrong height (due to pre-existing positions) etc due to limitations of the building.

There is also one small ceiling which has cables above it which have been pulled through that aren't clipped yet, however that will be remedied as soon as the bathroom above it is renovated. I still maintain my new (albeit unclipped) 1.5mm T&E that's properly terminated is safer than the previous VIR rubber cable with the insulation flaking off it that got ripped out ;)

How do you sleep at night...

Very well.

As for "amateur electrics kill", I think what you mean is "amateur electrics have the potential to kill". Seriously, how many stories do you read in the paper about people being electrocuted? My other half is an A+E doctor and has been for several years. She's yet to see someone in for treatment following a domestic electrics incident.

Agreed 100% - loads of things have the potential to kill. I have a friend who's a paramedic and has attended many 100s of road traffic collisions and industrial accidents where there have been fatalities. He's yet to attend where the patient has suffered any form of serious electric shock (he did once attend a DIYer who tried to change a light fitting without isolating it, to treat him for the leg injuries sustained when he fell off the ladder!)

I'm also on good terms with our local fire service - I asked someone a while ago about common causes of fires they attend and "botched electrics" is very rare - old and poorly maintained electrics being far more common but more often than not - kitchen fires, cigarettes, matches, candles...

So yes, amateur electrics (like many things) have the potential to kill but so do cars, cookers, ladders ... All of which are safe and useful tools if used safely.

i dont know why you joined this forum rsmck u seem to know everything allready.

maybe i should re-phrase that *think you know everything*

Constructive, thankyou.

I do not claim to know everything, nor do I believe I have ever implied I do. I do find it somewhat amusing that having joined this forum over a year ago your only contribution has to been to attempt to belittle another forum member (badly)

As you yourself have said, this forum is a useful resource, and there have been a lot of very helpful members on here for which I am very grateful of the assistance and advice they have given.

fair play to rsmck, seems to have a good attitude and approach to his rewire. if LABC have been notified and will be inspecting the job, then nobody on this forum can fault for that, as that way, he would be complying with all regulations.

fair play to rsmck, seems to have a good attitude and approach to his rewire.

Thanks, I try.. if I knew everything I wouldn't be here :)

if LABC have been notified and will be inspecting the job, then nobody on this forum can fault for that, as that way, he would be complying with all regulations.

LABC have been notified (I asked about it at the same time as applying to remove a wall) but have no interest at all as it falls outwith the scope of work which requires a building warrant. Ironically, it would only require a building warrant if I was adding recessed sockets to a party wall!

I had previously rewired my flat - that did need a building warrant and subsequent inspection by LABC.

For the benefit of those south of the border - the following guide produced by SBSA shows what work does/does not require a warrant under the Building (Scotland) Regulations 2004 -
http://www.angus.gov.uk/buildingcontrol/electricalmatrix.pdf

It's very different from your Part P, for now anyway.

sorry, i forgot you were in scotland. obviously part pee does not apply. i have no idea of the building regs. in scotland , so cannot comment further in that respect.

rmsck

i have just finished college Got my C&G 2330 level 3 am 17th edition qualified as well as a nVQ level 2. Ive been studying full time for 2 years.

One thing this studying has taught me is that there is so much to it. I am not a sparkie yet i still have a long way to go.

Yes i could run the cables, Wire it up and get everything to work, thats the easy bit.

But would i be 100% confident in my installation. Enough to sleep soundly at night whilst my 4 year old son is in the next room.

Would i wonder if all the tests i carried out had the right readings, would i be confident in the readings i wrote down, If any of the readings were slightly high would i know the reason why or would i be gambling.

After 2 years i wouldnt risk it i have have studied enough to know the dangers, ask the guys they know there stuff, i do.

cheers

Reply to D.I.Y. REWIRE-- A Step By Step Guide. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net