Discuss Do you need to PAT test / test fixed appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Got to agree the word PAT has confused the situation not just to us but the general public. Apart from any appliance with a plug on it ,please give me an idea how practically the testing is undertaken for example a wall mounted hand dryer ,heater and trouser press in hotel room.[
Please can someone answer my question regarding how is this practically done with the examples I have given.

Oh and apparently if your testing a microwave oven you are supposed to also have microwave leakage detector and test this too , something else we as a company overlooked
Has this come back in? I thought this was removed from the 4th edition (which is what I have at the moment) because it was not part of the electrical safety of the appliance.

not calling or putting down anyone on this comment because I will be guilty
We are all professionally trained people , and our views and technical knowledge vary so much , some right some wrong some text book right
Interesting and shows you why it’s important to keep training up and also get involved with forums like this which are so helpful

Were on post 66 now and I was hoping for someone to tell me how practically the testing whatever the term applied to doing it for testing items fed through a switched fused spur eg hand dryer ,wall heater trouser press in hotel etc.

Were on post 66 now and I was hoping for someone to tell me how practically the testing whatever the term applied to doing it for testing items fed through a switched fused spur eg hand dryer ,wall heater trouser press in hotel etc.
The item needs to be disconnected from its fixed wiring point and connected to a suitable adaptor to enable the testing to be undertaken, the inspection is no different from any other item, except you do not need to inspect the plug, and only comment on the point of connection instead of the socket.

As for the trouser press I suggest you place a pair of trousers in it turn it on and see if you get a crease , this is for the function test , only joking mate LOL

Oh and apparently if your testing a microwave oven you are supposed to also have microwave leakage detector and test this too , something else we as a company overlooked
That was removed from the 4th Edition of the Code of Practice. Microwave leakage testing no longer forms part of PAT testing.

Thanks to the four members who actually (even the two who disagreed) passed on how this is practically done ,the reason I asked was all I've known is testing portable appliances. It must be a right faff disconnection these appliances and reconnecting .

Thanks to the four members who actually (even the two who disagreed) passed on how this is practically done ,the reason I asked was all I've known is testing portable appliances. It must be a right faff disconnection these appliances and reconnecting .
It’s a big job , to be honest we don’t do it at the minute but looks like we soon will be , the circuit / spur should be isolated at dB and locked off , rather than unscrew the spur live and disconnect the load side

Last edited:
You should definitely not disconnect it without making dead first. If you did do this and anything went wrong you would be in court. Or someone may be in hospital.

Reply to Do you need to PAT test / test fixed appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net