Discuss Do you need to PAT test / test fixed appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Read through the link in one of above threads , code of practise for in service inspection and testing of electrical equipment
It would involve disconnecting in spur say and test with adapter to you pat test machine , that way it gets stored with all your other equipments information if you have an advanced pat tester
Or old school , ins res test and earth cont , visual , but keep records of tests , model test sheets are in the book
Basically a real ball ache , something we are avoiding , keeps you in work I suppose
Oh and apparently if your testing a microwave oven you are supposed to also have microwave leakage detector and test this too , something else we as a company overlooked

Not statutory, but highly recommended to use it for guidance.
Most company’s now a days will probably state you work to these codes of practises , ours does a long list in our electrical group rules
They do issue us with these documents (some where in the van )
If there is a fire or death through electric shock created by an appliance / equipment I’m sure the house will be looking for you maintanance / test sheets for this appliance / equipment
Including mechanical inspection sheets if required by whom ever

Read through the link in one of above threads , code of practise for in service inspection and testing of electrical equipment
It would involve disconnecting in spur say and test with adapter to you pat test machine , that way it gets stored with all your other equipments information if you have an advanced pat tester
Or old school , ins res test and earth cont , visual , but keep records of tests , model test sheets are in the book
Basically a real ball ache , something we are avoiding , keeps you in work I suppose
I refer to your line about "old school method this is what we are doing as part of a EICR, what's the difference ?.

I refer to your line about "old school method this is what we are doing as part of a EICR, what's the difference ?.
It’s the way the records are kept or ours any way on hand written sheets and the two basic tests and visual carried out
A modern testing machine stores all information , serial no’s , carries out leakage tests , carries out live functional test and stores load etc
And then prints you a cert if client requires one or your self for records

Most company’s now a days will probably state you work to these codes of practises , ours does a long list in our electrical group rules
They do issue us with these documents (some where in the van )
If there is a fire or death through electric shock created by an appliance / equipment I’m sure the house will be looking for you maintanance / test sheets for this appliance / equipment
Including mechanical inspection sheets if required by whom ever
HSE not house

Got to agree the word PAT has confused the situation not just to us but the general public. Apart from any appliance with a plug on it ,please give me an idea how practically the testing is undertaken for example a wall mounted hand dryer ,heater and trouser press in hotel room.
Read the CoP I sent you, and use your ingenuity

Got to agree the word PAT has confused the situation not just to us but the general public. Apart from any appliance with a plug on it ,please give me an idea how practically the testing is undertaken for example a wall mounted hand dryer ,heater and trouser press in hotel room.
Ant, the old PA Testing has gone, its a different animal now large electrical items have become a test item. but you have to agree these items connected via a 13Amp spur unit are NOT part of an EICR, they are the same sort of test IR earth, continuity, and functional, but as a separate testing regime, and should be costed, planned and carried out as such.

It’s the way the records are kept or ours any way on hand written sheets and the two basic tests and visual carried out
A modern testing machine stores all information , serial no’s , carries out leakage tests , carries out live functional test and stores load etc
Well fixed equipment is not a portable appliance so as such cannot be Portable Appliance Tested:D
it was portable before you fixed it , no I did say /fixed too on original thread , good answer though lol

Well fixed equipment is not a portable appliance so as such cannot be Portable Appliance Tested:D
it was portable before you fixed it , no I did say /fixed too on original thread , good answer though lol
That's why it aint called PA Testing any more, Westy
and what a mind numbing job it is too

and what a mind numbing job it is too
I agree, but if there are a fair few hand driers, Ladies thingy disposal jobbies, heaters, Split A/C systems etc it could be a nice little earner, especially if they ask you to set up a register and testing regime, I would do it in a heartbeat if the premises was big enough or they had lots of buildings that required testing, what a cushy little number, mind you I'm 71 and not much use crawling about under floors etc.

Presume that’s what these big maintance contract companies are into , like of mitie , spie
Big money generator and these big companies have to have it done , all the smaller ones will either not know about it or choose to ignore it , struggling businesses will have better things to spend money on no doubt

Presume that’s what these big maintance contract companies are into , like of mitie , spie
Big money generator and these big companies have to have it done , all the smaller ones will either not know about it or choose to ignore it , struggling businesses will have better things to spend money on no doubt
Yes I agree Nige, I worked for FCOServices and Mite had 1 guy full time testing fixed equipment, he was semi retired and loved it.
Some of the smaller companies, don't realise they are bound by H&S legislation to test these items, failure to have a system in place can prove costly, setting up a testing section was one of my last jobs before I retired, I think I scared them, by the system I tried to introduce, retirement came, and I went.

Yes I agree Nige, I worked for FCOServices and Mite had 1 guy full time testing fixed equipment, he was semi retired and loved it.
Some of the smaller companies, don't realise they are bound by H&S legislation to test these items, failure to have a system in place can prove costly, setting up a testing section was one of my last jobs before I retired, I think I scared them, by the system I tried to introduce, retirement came, and I went.
Yes a a big player our selves in civil engineering (j Murphy ) we are getting bogged down with paper work just to start your working day , we then have to deal with our clients different requests and systems of work ( national grid , network rail , United utilities )
Not to mention the vehicle tracking , finger print time keeping , facial recognition , working on rail stations you are being videoed throughout your day
The world I’d going mad with technology and legislations , briefings , method statements , risk assessments oh the list goes on

Yes a a big player our selves in civil engineering (j Murphy ) we are getting bogged down with paper work just to start your working day , we then have to deal with our clients different requests and systems of work ( national grid , network rail , United utilities )
Not to mention the vehicle tracking , finger print time keeping , facial recognition , working on rail stations you are being videoed throughout your day
The world I’d going mad with technology and legislations , briefings , method statements , risk assessments oh the list goes on
The way of the new world Nige

Oh and the e mail wars and arse covering that goes on

Oh and the e mail wars and arse covering that goes on
Yeah I got quite good at arse covering, via email, especially when some numpty sat on His or Her jacksy, questioned what I was trying to say, trouble was I knew I was was right, and they were clueless, nice warm feelings come into play when that happens, even better when the funds arrived to do what I needed to do, happy days.

Reply to Do you need to PAT test / test fixed appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net