Discuss Do you need to PAT test / test fixed appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The item needs to be disconnected from its fixed wiring point and connected to a suitable adaptor to enable the testing to be undertaken, the inspection is no different from any other item, except you do not need to inspect the plug, and only comment on the point of connection instead of the socket.
Thanks Richard not rocket science is it?

When I quote for PAT testing, I inform the client that the rule is all electrics must be maintained. The fixed wiring by EICR, the fused spur items (hand dryers Etc) can be done either during an EICR, during PAT testing or by being serviced (EG. If the boiler and air conditioning is serviced regularly, it does not need to be PAT tested) and I will do everything with a plug for a fixed price per item, and if they want the fused spur items testing as part of this process those items will be tested on a per hour basis.

By the length of this thread it seems to be.
Then it just goes to prove what a misassumption the whole thing is ,there are people on here that just because the have/had an employer who engaged them on the latest regs etc. and paid for their courses thing all of us have/had an employer like them. I may have a few years experience behind me but I don't know everything or had the experience in everything. As PAT testing or whatever the new name for it is the only time I had to do this was with my previous employer who just plonked a pat tester in my hand and expected me to get on with it and at that time it was just items that plugged in. Whenever I have done a EICR on a radial circuit I've always taken the testing up to the supply terminals I asked the question to gain knowledge from other members for how they approach this.Yes I know that I missed some members answers of which I thanked in a later post .

I agree with you Ant on a Periodic the appliance becomes part of the test with regards to IR and earth continuity. Complying with statutory requirements which is not PA Testing or Codes of Practice is based on a lot of risk assessment and clueless guessing.

When I quote for PAT testing, I inform the client that the rule is all electrics must be maintained. The fixed wiring by EICR, the fused spur items (hand dryers Etc) can be done either during an EICR, during PAT testing or by being serviced (EG. If the boiler and air conditioning is serviced regularly, it does not need to be PAT tested) and I will do everything with a plug for a fixed price per item, and if they want the fused spur items testing as part of this process those items will be tested on a per hour basis.
Can't agree with you on the point of when the A/C and gas boiler are serviced the PATesting isn't required, when the A.C is serviced the engineer will clean the cond and evap coils check the fan, he will, I doubt do any elctrical testing, same with the gas boiler, check the flue gases, give it a bit of a clean and check gas pressure no electric tests other than it works when you switch it on.

Reply to Do you need to PAT test / test fixed appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net