Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Domestic. Cable Overheating? in the Looking for Domestic Electricians? area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Brian Brown

Brian Brown EF Member

I have a 13 amp socket in my kitchen which, from behind the switch plate a green sticky substance appears occasionally on the wall. I have just removed the socket plate and revealed that the substance appears to be coming from the three core wire sheath.
    I suspected one of the core cables was overheating but the socket is never overloaded and is in continual use and has never shorted out.

Could anyone please tell me what might be causing the problem. I guess the cure will be to get the cables replaced.

2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

It is known a chemical migration the cable is probably not overheating. This is caused by plasticisers added to pvc years ago to make it more flexible and a chemical reaction is taking place causing it to migrate from the pvc hence the green goo. It may be worth getting your electrics checked over to see the extent of it and replace the cables as necessary. Wash your hands thoroughly if you have touched it.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

Your easy guide

4. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi - yes as per @westward10@westward10, a quote from the article on green goo below.
    "Di-isoctyl phthalate is a toxic substance and suitable protective clothing should be worn when handling waste materials. Special attention should be paid to hygiene when working on contaminated installations. "
    I think the comment is more intended for someone working on an installation with multiple affected cables, but you get the drift.
    Green Goo - https://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/green-goo

• Like Like x 1
  5. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

re #3
    I can't take that guy seriously with Stewie looking at me like that

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Brian Brown

Brian Brown EF Member

Thank you both for your replies. Rather an interesting outcome. I have cleaned everything up as best I can and I will get round to getting the cable replaced.Thanks again. Regards. Brian.

• Like Like x 1