Discuss EDF meter change fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello guys

EDF came out to a flat and attempted to replace the meter.

I have been called out to investigate there comments which are “unsafe to remove meter, possible borrowed neutral, voltage at meter even with fuse removed (dropped neutral test)”

First off i am currently on site, I removed the fuse and tested potential between N in and N out no voltage.

I then tested all live conductors to earth and no voltage.

Question is what is this dropped neutral test and and I missing something with my testing as I can’t see a problem?

I think they have used the wrong phrase when they say borrowed neutral. As above it sounds like a DNO issue rather than a borrowed neutral on the consumer side.

i done an impedance test between the L-N at the meter and got 0.08 ohms so I don’t even think it’s a broken PME or neutral if that what they meant.
The meter man said to the client with the fuse pulled out he was getting voltage on the neutral.
Unless he has an different means of testing there is no voltage between N in and N out at the meter or between and earth or live.
Not sure what else I am missing

report attached from EDF meter man

Attachments

• 869D4431-D89D-4BB8-8F88-B93A0A4C536C.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 41
Does he mean he gets a voltage on the neutral on the supply side of the fuse carrier or the consumer side?

a) So the implication is the neutral (and TNC ) Earth will rise up to Line potential as a load is placed L to N ? ( Depending on additional earthing / Bonding ) Not nice !
Or is it TN-S.
b) Not DNO side
( Or are they witnessing lots of Line leakage into wall , confusing "their volt sticks -perspective on things .. Hope not)
c) Power sneaking into install from leakage - Neigbours outside lights
(More added since Liked..!)

Last edited:
It may be a Neutral from another flat (or shop?) within the building.
Are you testing with the C.U OFF, try with all MCB /RCBO ON and C.U mainswitch ON.
Meter person should have had the CU off before pulling the fuse, maybe they didn't.

What about Reverse Polarity at the cutout?

Last edited:
What is the voltage between live and neutral? And live and earth and neutral and earth?

L-N 248v
N-E 0V
L-E 248v
[/QUOTE]
Surely if it was a dropped neutral L- n would not be 248 V.

I recon the meter guy has one of those stick voltage indicators and it’s given him an incorrect read, as they do.

Call the engineers and ask him what equipment he used and the resultant reads.

I don’t think it’s a dropped neutral, but because the engineer has said there is a dangerous situation you need to clarify from him what that is.
It’s awkward as you will be last spark on site so you need clarification before you leave.

Is it a house turned into flats ?
(will need hall lighting turned on - if this flats neutral is taken line when its disconnected-
fed from upstairs flat -via lamp)

Last edited:

Reply to EDF meter change fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net