Discuss EICR - 2 boards, 1 with an off peak split and one with regular supply in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think Spin is saying that two CUs from one single supply is classed as two installations.

A great attempt at trolling but not good enough to catch me out.
You haven't been drinking enough tonight have you? Must try harder Essex!!!

I think Spin is saying that two CUs from one single supply is classed as two installations.

A great attempt at trolling but not good enough to catch me out.
3 Phase supply into the basement of a building.
Ground floor shop, first floor flat, second floor flat.
One supply, how many installations?

Oh yes, and of course there’s also the fact that a single installation can have more than one supply

Last edited by a moderator:
In this scenario, 1 install, 1 certificate, 2 boards.

There are plenty of RCD mainswitches in Scotland, where an inline RCD has been fitted to the tails before the board as an easy way of complying with the regs back in the day (although less than ideal now).

Another example would be a TT installation with a time delay RCD upfront.

Oh dear, what a string of posts. OP, ideally you need to get experience working alongside some other electricians experienced in carrying out EICRs. C&G 2391 is the current qualification in inspection & testing covering both new installation and EICRs. Guidance Note 3 is an excellent purchase to help improve your understanding.
I understand why some get hot under the collar when electricians with limited experience in I& T jump in without sufficient support, given that you are certifying/reporting on an installations suitability to be energised/suitable & safe for continued use.
The best advice I can give someone involved in I&T is to read, understand and apply the standards/guidance available, understand what you are testing for and why, know, understand and be able to interpret the results you obtain, and never forget that a poorly designed, installed or maintained installation can lead to serious damage and/or loss of life. It’s not to be taken lightly!
Here endeth my sermon

We do a lot of EICR's and I see some by local registered contractors that say things like 'no power - cannot test' (apparently they have not heard of dead tests) and 'needs a rewire'- which may even be true but is not a defect on BS7671

You are not doing EICR's for landlords are you?

Reply to EICR - 2 boards, 1 with an off peak split and one with regular supply in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net