Discuss Electric Cable running across Garden in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I can see their point - they've bought a property believing there was mains electricity in the shed, and you've bought a property knowing there was a cable crossing your land to power their shed.
They've already had the cable replaced at your request and to your specification, but now you want them to replace it again, but have it installed differently.

You could either come to an amicable solution, most likely involving you meeting them halfway with the cost, or it would be a matter for solicitors, however bare in mind it could come about that they have an implied right to keep their cable where it was.

Out of interest how does the cable enter their flat?

Oh and I'd hate to have that eyesore hanging over my garden, the joys of joint freeholders as you need permission form the other freeholders plus you all still have a lease, been through this when redeveloping and selling my flat recently.

You could try invoicing you neighbours PCM for rent.

hire a digger for an hour and drag it off the wall by force
I can see their point - they've bought a property believing there was mains electricity in the shed, and you've bought a property knowing there was a cable crossing your land to power their shed.
They've already had the cable replaced at your request and to your specification, but now you want them to replace it again, but have it installed differently.

You could either come to an amicable solution, most likely involving you meeting them halfway with the cost, or it would be a matter for solicitors, however bare in mind it could come about that they have an implied right to keep their cable where it was.
there is no grey area, airspace is sovereign

hire a digger for an hour and drag it off the wall by force

there is no grey area, airspace is sovereign

Your just being stupid now.
upload_2018-5-16_22-11-30.jpeg https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...ovbAhXLCMAKHZCgCAAQMwg7KAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Let us not take the thread off course with a spelling debate please and can we tone down the language, I know the software picks up the expletives but seriously is it too difficult to make a post without reverting to using it, we are not on a building site and can we remind you you're posting in a public forum so it does reflect on the forum as a whole.
Cheers.

Oh they are the best arent they? Neighbour issues :-S
Thanks, this info is really helpful
The previous cable had been there for 7 years (unknown how long beyond that) but less noticeable as grey and ran along the wall for the main part. The new cable is thick, black and runs from their flat to their shed directly across my garden and air space.
I explained to them I am happy for them to run along and down my walls and under my path (to meet them halfway) and the wayleave would be good in this instance for future, but they already spent £280 on this shoddy job so are reluctant to spend more.
He was well and truely been Cowboyed then.

For the record, and sorry it's off-topic but there were NO chineapple punks in my paella!

Airspace is sovereign? Well, actually not quite as our government hijacked it for the purposes of selling off the rights to TV and radio and mobile telephone companies, allowing them to send their signals through that airspace, and to be fair, we all benefit from that in the end. How that money is spent is another debate...
There are complex legal issues here...get a lawyer in.

For the record, and sorry it's off-topic but there were NO chineapple punks in my paella!

Airspace is sovereign? Well, actually not quite as our government hijacked it for the purposes of selling off the rights to TV and radio and mobile telephone companies, allowing them to send their signals through that airspace, and to be fair, we all benefit from that in the end. How that money is spent is another debate...
There are complex legal issues here...get a lawyer in.
Well pirate, for the benefit of Forum members, that a new one, "get a Lawyer in" it's usually get an Electrician in, a good post and a good idea.:)

The problem being is the cable was already there and it would be interesting to know for how long, it was replaced in the same position with a better safer cable, the trouble is the person who installed it did not adhere to the regulations in place and advise the customer that it should be run as per regs, the way it should have been done is that at the shed end they should have cemented in a scaffold pole and as Pete mentioned ran a catenery wire to the house to attach the cable to (I wonder if my stuff is still installed at Kew and Richmond stations hmmmmm)

This problem is nothing to do with electrical regs, that just dilutes things. Simple fact is it's your land, they have no right to use it.
Having said that if you want to find a middle ground to avoid devaluing your house for the future I'd push for a minimum 3.5m tall permanent post on their property to keep the cable out of harm's way. And a legal agreement giving them a licence to have it there, just to be sure they don't get the right to have it there.

This problem is nothing to do with electrical regs, that just dilutes things. Simple fact is it's your land, they have no right to use it.
Having said that if you want to find a middle ground to avoid devaluing your house for the future I'd push for a minimum 3.5m tall permanent post on their property to keep the cable out of harm's way. And a legal agreement giving them a licence to have it there, just to be sure they don't get the right to have it there.

Isn't it dependant on how long its been there?

The house I live in the previous owners waaaaaay back built a wall on their own land, my garden is now 6" wider 12 year rule and I had great pleasure in reminding one of the previous neighbours that it was his wall and not mine as who the hell wants to maintain an 80 foot brick wall that looks like it may fall down in the next 10 years.

Reply to Electric Cable running across Garden in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net