Discuss Exporting the earth? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

From the IET's many threads on this subject

"Generally speaking the exportation of a TN-C-S supply is the decision of the local DNO and only done with their permission. In the absence of such permission it would be recommended to use a TT system and RCD protection.

This is a forum and it is my right and everyone elses who reads this to air their options, yes even you! no one is being mislead, we are INTERPRETING the regs, thats all. Nothing else.

You are wrong, TT and rod it, end of story, sorry, mod or not you are not correct

With no respect as i have lost any possible after reading the rubbish and poor attitude you have shown here, i am in utter disbelief. It has been clearly pointed out to you by IQ and many others than you are wrong. I have made mistakes on this forum and been corrected and been glad of the correction as this forum helps all of us learn no matter how experienced. You clearly think you know best. When you DONT. I advise you eat humble pie admit a mistake post an appology and be done with it. Or how will anyone take your advise seriously again? And you can export a tncs earth!!

With no respect as i have lost any possible after reading the rubbish and poor attitude you have shown here, i am in utter disbelief. It has been clearly pointed out to you by IQ and many others than you are wrong. I have made mistakes on this forum and been corrected and been glad of the correction as this forum helps all of us learn no matter how experienced. You clearly think you know best. When you DONT. I advise you eat humble pie admit a mistake post an appology and be done with it. Or how will anyone take your advise seriously again? And you can export a tncs earth!!

Where does it say im wrong hawk81?

Far too much Miss-information and too many scaremongers in the UK with regards to PME installations. You would think that after all these years of the system being supplied by one form of supply authority or another that it would be far better understood. You just don't get this hostility towards PME/TNC-S in other European countries!!!

Perhaps these unbelievers should remember, that all those old TT systems (many going or gone bad) were converted to PME, and for a very good reason. It took years getting these installations a decent earthing system. Now it seems, these people want to return to the bad old days, and whack in Rods willy nilly, not really knowing or understanding what they are actually doing. Who is going to maintain all these TT systems, certainly not the electrician that installed them... Oh, i forgot there is always that RCD, ......So no problem ....NOT!!!!

I would be interested to learn why my attitude is poor if you are calling what i write rubbish.

Antimatter,
can I ask then, if you are installing outside lights or sockets wired to the main building which is on a TNCS....do you rod them individually,and separate the earth....or use the TNCS?....I ask because logically if you are so appalled by the thought of a shed on a TNCS then presumably you feel the same about an outside light?.....if not why not?

Wow missed all this just go to show you what happens to a thread when you leave it. Not sure if you read my post #12. The Electricity supply Regulations did cover PME as a section, well the SEEB ones did, and this is where the exporting the earth debate originated.

Just read engineer54 part about TT without RCD protection, blimely he must be older than me becasue I remember using the fore runner of the RCD which was the ELCB back in the late 60's when I started out, and I think it was in use as early as the 60's and even the late 50's

Last edited:
From the IET's many threads on this subject

"Generally speaking the exportation of a TN-C-S supply is the decision of the local DNO and only done with their permission. In the absence of such permission it would be recommended to use a TT system and RCD protection.

This statement doesn't say you can't use it, it says you have to contact your DNO. That doesn't make it a no no. The DNO go by BS7671 just like us and will most likely say yes. What reason wouldn't they.
But in the absence of the permission, you than have a CHOICE of a TT.
I can't see this statement supporting the prehibitation.

Reply to Exporting the earth? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net