Discuss Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not allowed to sign a cert? We expect all our electricians to sign certs.

In my book if you cant sign a cert to say it is safe then your not competent to do the job unsupervised.

Just seen that pic on page 1 LOL
It looks neat, apart from the cables in the wrong terminals.......
And im doubtful it was done to pre 17th edition! or complying with 17th as necessary.
That is all.....

Just seen that pic on page 1 LOL
It looks neat, apart from the cables in the wrong terminals.......
And im doubtful it was done to pre 17th edition! or complying with 17th as necessary.
That is all.....
Looks like a new job not a replacement, pre 17th. Nice clean cables, no reds or blacks, loads of length on the wiring. Certainly weren't any twisted together cpc's to sort out before that change.

No just your usual domestic house with say ten or 12 circuits on it.

Like i said im not allowed to sign off test certs so usually an approved spark comes at my back to test the boadr any problems and i return to rectify them.

Visual inspection doesn't take too long a quick look around the existing board and a sample of sockets, switches and light fittings to check the general condition of the wiring and bonding of course any visible faults are fixed at an additional cost depending on the time they take although generally houses i have worked in have all been in good condition with nothing like borrowed neutrals etc.

And no needaspaks my work is not like spaghetti, guess im unlike yourself in that i do not hang a job out and prefer to get straight down to business.

Would also like to point out that my cheapness is what has gained me repeat custom from the 4 guys (all landlords with multiple properties) i get most of my private jobs from and what gains me more jobs through word of mouth.

Im talking about private jobs as i do not run my own sparky company nor am i self employed

It must be me then as I can not remember the last time I had a straight forward CU exchange even when the board was clearly marked up.

So a Visual Inspection is done no mention of dead tests so do you connect the new CU and as long as the RCD's hold thats it no borrowed neutrals and a CPC at every outlet?

I may have the wrong end of the stick here and you are carrying out all the required tests prior to re energising any circuit but thats not clear in your posts!

I am not up to date with how Electrical work is signed off in Scotland but if your not working for a company how can a third party sign a EIC or is the Approved electrician testing as part as a EICR !

Last edited:
Ah yes change the board £150, they are then in the house and the extras start adding up ,Tracing cicuits Bonding ,Testing ,etc ,the customer takes out a second mortage when they get the final bill,

What does he mean 'isn't allowed to sign a cert?'

That statement right there tells me everything I need to know about this 'sparky' and the level of knowledge he has of his profession. Sadly, its all too common now, too many people like this going around doing work with probably only half the knowledge they need to do the job.

I worked on a site last year installing street lighting. The length of cable runs were into hundreds of metres and we were installing 6mm swa. A 25 year old, apprentice trained, JIB reg'd spark couldn't understand why we were wiring in 6mm. In his own words, 'isn't lighting meant to be in 1.5?' After myself and another lad tried explaining he still didn't get it. We quoted ohms law, volt drop etc. He said he remembered doing the formulas but didn't know what they were for at the time. He was also constantly telling us how he did side jobs for people, probably about the same rate as this guy for a mains change. The public then get a warped perception of proper sparkies rates. They are destroying thier own industry, are too stupid and ignorant to care and the system is helping them. This is what its come to now.

I do take a little longer with my 17th edition consumer unit upgrades when dealing with VIR's.
You cant rush that stuff or the rubber tends to crack.
Had a few RCD's go out on me that way.
But I usually go for boards with high integ circuits, so its easy enough to swap out any problamatic circuits onto the High integs intead of RCD protected.
Its all about being a highly experienced electrician like what I am, and taking pride in me work boys.
I do the job for £90 all in.

With abilities like that Bald there's obviously no need for you to test what you do so why flippin bother, and fair play to you sir:)

With abilities like that Bald there's obviously no need for you to test what you do so why flippin bother, and fair play to you sir:)

Please don't suggest I don't test sir. I have a 900mm broom handle, and in the interest of electrical safety.
Always energise my circuits with that.
If the mcb pops, I usually find the fault blows out and clears after several attempts.
As said its all about experience. And of course I knows everyfing I does, cus I is a proper electrician. I dun a course I did, took me all day.

Reply to Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net