Discuss Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

No just your usual domestic house with say ten or 12 circuits on it.

Like i said im not allowed to sign off test certs so usually an approved spark comes at my back to test the boadr any problems and i return to rectify them.

Visual inspection doesn't take too long a quick look around the existing board and a sample of sockets, switches and light fittings to check the general condition of the wiring and bonding of course any visible faults are fixed at an additional cost depending on the time they take although generally houses i have worked in have all been in good condition with nothing like borrowed neutrals etc.

And no needaspaks my work is not like spaghetti, guess im unlike yourself in that i do not hang a job out and prefer to get straight down to business.

Would also like to point out that my cheapness is what has gained me repeat custom from the 4 guys (all landlords with multiple properties) i get most of my private jobs from and what gains me more jobs through word of mouth.

Im talking about private jobs as i do not run my own sparky company nor am i self employed

Why are you notallowed to sign installation certs off? you do not need any qualifications tocertify work ,you just need to be a competant person and this can be done byproving (if need be) relevent nvq level 3 ect ect 2391 ect

- - - Updated - - -

No just your usual domestic house with say ten or 12 circuits on it.

Like i said im not allowed to sign off test certs so usually an approved spark comes at my back to test the boadr any problems and i return to rectify them.

Visual inspection doesn't take too long a quick look around the existing board and a sample of sockets, switches and light fittings to check the general condition of the wiring and bonding of course any visible faults are fixed at an additional cost depending on the time they take although generally houses i have worked in have all been in good condition with nothing like borrowed neutrals etc.

And no needaspaks my work is not like spaghetti, guess im unlike yourself in that i do not hang a job out and prefer to get straight down to business.

Would also like to point out that my cheapness is what has gained me repeat custom from the 4 guys (all landlords with multiple properties) i get most of my private jobs from and what gains me more jobs through word of mouth.

Im talking about private jobs as i do not run my own sparky company nor am i self employed

Why are you notallowed to sign installation certs off? you do not need any qualifications tocertify work ,you just need to be a competant person and this can be done byproving (if need be) relevent nvq level 3 ect ect 2391 ect

I work in the south-west. Self employed sole trader. I change a ten way CCU for approx £300, tested and certified. I allow a day but it usually takes 4 - 6 hours. I buy the CCU's from B&Q or Screwfix (same retailer) for £50-60 as wholesalers such as CEF charge me £70+ trade price (eh?). Even with extras such as earth bonding I make £200 per change which is a fair days pay for a fair days technical work.

Compared to a plumber who charges £1,000 in labour for a boiler change it's cheap.

£150 is just not realistic for the complete job and should not be taken seriously. £150 is probably for labour only, and may be excluding Vat, and is probably only the starting price. Ask the same company for a definite detailed quote for a replacement including all labour, materials, paperwork and vat then see what the real charge is. An estimated £150 for replacing a CU does not tell anyone whats included in the price and whats not!

Most people don't have a clue about electrics so will believe anything that they are told £150 just gets their attention and draws them in like throwing bait to catch fish.

You normally find the end price doubles (at least).

If anyone want's to fit a CU for £150, Crabtree 10 way CU with RCD's etc including labour materials testing vat and all paperwork including in the £150 anything else that may crop up with changing the unit then get in touch. I'll sign you up to a contract and be laughing all the way to the bank.

It's not just the electrical tradethat is suffering from this type of male bovine effluent quoting. As an example there's an ad on eBay now for plastering in the Birmingham area, offering a 12" by 12" room skimmed, walls and ceiling for £150 all in. That's a full days work for anyone. OK the materials aren't dear, probably £50 in plaster and PVA. So that leaves £100 for the platerer and his labourer plus all the costs (tools, van, insurances, workwear, tax etc etc).

You don't have to be a business finance expert to realise either they aren't insured, paying tax etc. Or, the actual cost is going to be much higher.

Anyone thick or greedy enough to want work doing at those sort of prices for ANY trade deserves everything they get.

Anyone thick or greedy enough to want work doing at those sort of prices for ANY trade deserves everything they get.

It is hard to feel sorry for people who pay a builder or plumber to change their CU on the cheap, let alone a pretend electrician, then moan when they get no certificates and the RCD's keep tripping....

Well for £150, i'd do my neighbours board, but, only if it was to upgrade an old 4 way wirelex board!!
And i would go as next door but one, but for that money, no further.

£75 callout and first hour
£35 p/h after.

Well at these prices, i maintain return customers, and happy ones at that.

Unlike the stella, i don't think I'm reassuringly expensive.

Mentions certificates, doesn't mention LABC/Part P

No mention of bonding either.

Madness - having said that who would "buy" this sort of service without meeting the person/company first?

I wonder how many CU's get sold every weekend by the DIY chains? I bet it's in the hundreds nationwide, and only a small % sold will be to part P registered electricians. This firm could be just an odd-job-man for all we know.
I come across installs carried out by plumbers and builders too, all the time, but nobody really seems to care.

I wonder how many CU's get sold every weekend by the DIY chains? I bet it's in the hundreds nationwide, and only a small % sold will be to part P registered electricians. This firm could be just an odd-job-man for all we know.
I come across installs carried out by plumbers and builders too, all the time, but nobody really seems to care.

Saving Money comes before safety for the majority of people!! Lol

Reply to Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net