Discuss Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

that consumer unit pic gave me wood nice an neat no copper showing top job

8475d1319734502-fuse-box-installed-150-what-6176480400_1712bbc1d6.jpg

Firstly, Is this a CU change? looks like a first install as the wiring colours are up to date.... that's a bit suspicious. next the cable outer sheafs don't enter the enclosure as you can see the CPC coverings exiting the enclosure... and so many circuits not on RCD or RCCB , so it's not to 17the edition un less the unprotected circuits are all visible or run in conduit etc. the incoming tails really give it away as they are very scruffy and are "strained" and not in a natural position.
Before sending images perhaps it's best to ask a decent electrician for some advice,. And pretending you can do all this for £150 and still not get it correct...someone is pulling something and it smells like "....****"

I did a db change today actually, a 5 and 5 split dual rcd board, took me 3 hours in total and it had 7 circuits, I also had to whack a rod in the ground as the meb tns earth had deteriated, all in all a simple job, the board was 50 quid from city electrical and I renewed the main earth and tails, 200 quid is enough in reality, but I charged 300, why not?

Firstly, Is this a CU change? looks like a first install as the wiring colours are up to date.... that's a bit suspicious. next the cable outer sheafs don't enter the enclosure as you can see the CPC coverings exiting the enclosure... and so many circuits not on RCD or RCCB , so it's not to 17the edition un less the unprotected circuits are all visible or run in conduit etc. the incoming tails really give it away as they are very scruffy and are "strained" and not in a natural position.
Before sending images perhaps it's best to ask a decent electrician for some advice,. And pretending you can do all this for £150 and still not get it correct...someone is pulling something and it smells like "....****"

Plus the cables aren't In the right terminals!!!

I did a db change today actually, a 5 and 5 split dual rcd board, took me 3 hours in total and it had 7 circuits, I also had to whack a rod in the ground as the meb tns earth had deteriated, all in all a simple job, the board was 50 quid from city electrical and I renewed the main earth and tails, 200 quid is enough in reality, but I charged 300, why not?

Is that 3 hours including testing the 7 circuits?

yep, it didn't take long, all the existing cables reached very easily and the actual board took an hour and a half, it took a half hour to whack a rod in the ground and clip the earth wire to the board and an hour to test the 7 circuits, the house was vertually empty and I didn't have to unplug hardly anything, I will fill the test sheets in tommorrow when I get home, all results and the DB schedule was written in my pad, I just have to fill the sheets in tommorrow and notify building control, admittedly it was easy this time, they are all different arn't they?

Not sure I could test 7 circuits in 30 mins, I suppose it depends on the limitations agreed with the client. If you add on cost and time to fill in the test sheets and certify too then £300 fair. Did your fit one of those BG board that CEF now stock?

Not sure I could test 7 circuits in 30 mins, I suppose it depends on the limitations agreed with the client. If you add on cost and time to fill in the test sheets and certify too then £300 fair. Did your fit one of those BG board that CEF now stock?

I don't think its possible to test 7 circuits in 30 minutes - thats 4 mins 30 seconds per circuit!

PLUS I see you've not done your certs or notify either which I include in my timescales as a cu change isn't complete till thats done, and it all adds up the hours!

I don't think its possible to test 7 circuits in 30 minutes - thats 4 mins 30 seconds per circuit!

PLUS I see you've not done your certs or notify either which I include in my timescales as a cu change isn't complete till thats done, and it all adds up the hours!

It can't take me 4mins or more to get my tester set up!

Yeah it was a BG board, bought from CEF gloucester, dan it took an hour to test the 7 circuits buddy not a half hour, and the board although cheap and cheerful is actually IMO a good board, there is plenty of room above the MCBs to connect the cables in tidily and after all it was only 7 circuits, I always used to use wylex, but after the recall a couple of years back went right off them and the BG has more room IMO, dan this job today was a one off, sometimes it takes all day to change a board and do an earth upgrade and I would charge around 500, all jobs vary IMO.

I never said a half hour fella's please read my post a few threads back again, and I didn't edit it, you just read it wrong, come on whats this a public hanging haha.

I like the proteus boards due to the solid link bars, I find the wylex/Crabtree/BG boards to be a bit messy inside. Personal preference I suppose. I still feel I would struggle to test 7 circuits in an hour. I do not no the details of the job so I have no criticism only commenting my initial thoughts.

I can't stand the proteus boards Myself, although the garage unit they do is okay, I personally find testing 7 circuits in an hour in an empty house fairly easy, once the lamps are out and everything unplugged you can meggar all 7 circuits at the board very easily without difficulty, the r1s and 2s for the rings can be tested easily with the plug which you can buy, the zs are straight forward as well, the time taken is the testing on the rcds imo, the times half, 1 and 5 and on the 180 and 0 poles, however I have the meggar which holds the results and overall I think 7 circuits in an hour is normal IMO, I don't fill the sheets in on site as I like to do them on the computer, In my opinion they look better than written ones, I not trying to be a dick, just being honest and todays job was easy, some days they are harder and take more time.

an hour is more than enough dan in an empty house if you have the right equipment, and as mentioned at least 3 times now all jobs vary.

I normally charge 400 for a board replace which includes any fault finding that may occur and a instal cert, condition report, building control cert etc. Max 8 hours any extra is 25 an hour plus parts. I like the square D boards not the cheapest but never had any problems and they a strong spacious board.

i'm a Electrical Trainee, and even i can't see how you can make money on a £150 cu change. Perhaps i've been trained differently. i'd take longer than that guy just to sort out a cupper and realise i'd left half the tools in the van.

Reply to Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net