Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Going self employed, with level 3 portfolio to complete in the Business Related area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Browner

Browner EF Member

Hi guys, I've just finished my college course, with my portfolio to start/complete. So could I work for another firm as an improver or self employed subby, and finish my portfolio? Due to a change in circumstances I need to be in a job earning more money but I want to finish my apprenticeship. It's a catch 22.

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Best policy would be to complete your apprenticeship.....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Joshua

Joshua |Ω|#e5| Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Steel Electrical Contractors
    I never had a bonafide apprenticeship and finished college with my technical certs without ever working on site.

I became an improver on minimum wage and slowly slowly built up my portfolio.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LankyWill

LankyWill Electrician's Arms

Yo could complete your portfolio and am2 within a 1-2 years, if you stick with your firm as an apprentice.

Going self employed would only get you improver status, it would take longer to qualify on this route. Can you get weekend work for a bit more cash? Or ask for a slight raise?

5. robd

robd Electrician's Arms

Finish your apprenticeship if you can, whilst things might be good at the moment with plenty of work around you would be better placed if things took a dip and you have a proper apprenticeship behind you.