Discuss Having a house re-wire, are old back boxes within new regs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just to add for the OP's benefit it would be 4BA screws needed. That said it would probably be the sparks issue to solve not his.
Sometimes an M3.5 re-tapping tool leaves enough bite for modern screws, seems to depend on how close to the maximum tolerance the 4BA was tapped.
Or they might just nip the 3.5mm screws up just enough to hold the plates in place until the bill is paid.

Some very good detailed awnsers, Hopefully all good in end.

I would want.new back boxes, If its getting plastered anyway.
Yeah all being skim plastered. Next time I’ll make sure it all gets new. I suppose they have to come and rectify any issues that may arise, although as I’m hoping to sell in the next 2 months I hope that can be avoided.

Welcome to the forum mate.
Changing a consumer unit falls under Part P and is notifiable work.
Are they notifying your local building control body?

Welcome to the forum mate.
Changing a consumer unit falls under Part P and is notifiable work.
Are they notifying your local building control body?
They should be. I’m not going to pay until I see the building control and installation certificate. I will go to their premises and when I see them I will pay. I think that’s entirely reasonable.

They should be. I’m not going to pay until I see the building control and installation certificate. I will go to their premises and when I see them I will pay. I think that’s entirely reasonable.

Have you given them any money up to now?

No. I haven’t been asked at any point.

Ask them that you want to pay them some money for the work they have done up to now. It shows them that you are not trying to dupe them and you can also see their premises when you pay.
They may then be flexible on giving you the certs before final payment.

it will take maybe 28 days to get the building control notification processed, so you should not withold monies awaiting this, unless it's asmall % , say 10%, agreed with the contractors beforehand.
as for back boxes, I would insist on new ones (25mm) for switches, otherwise if you want at any time to fit smart switches or dimmers, you're stuffed.

it will take maybe 28 days to get the building control notification processed, so you should not withold monies awaiting this, unless it's asmall % , say 10%, agreed with the contractors beforehand.
as for back boxes, I would insist on new ones (25mm) for switches, otherwise if you want at any time to fit smart switches or dimmers, you're stuffed.
Thanks.
However as stated by numerous people here some companies do provide all certificates before payment and the installation certificate is at least on the quote. We did have a brief conversation about it and he said something about paying half and getting one of the certificates then the other half before receive the final certificate which I now assume is building control. For me I’m not sure 10% is enough of an incentive and having look on companies house last night I am right to be somewhat careful here. I think paying 3/4 of the invoice should be satisfactory and then paying the remainder when I see the certificate.

Reply to Having a house re-wire, are old back boxes within new regs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net