• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Help needed to review quality of distributer box installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just had my distributer box upgraded to an RCD box, and I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the quality of the work done here. I know that changing these boxes is a nightmare to do, and truth be told our wiring was a mess before, but for the price we payed I don't believe there should be electrical tape and exposed wires coming out of the box. Also you can see the housing for the old night electricity box which they have decided to leave and they also chose not to cover the channel with all the exposed wires. I'm just curious to see what this forum's take is on this work, and if it was worth the £700 I payed for it.

Thanks!

(This is my first post, so if I am in the wrong category I apologise)
Help needed to review quality of distributer box installation 20181022_110122 - EletriciansForums.net

Help needed to review quality of distributer box installation 20181022_110103 - EletriciansForums.net

Just read the price... holy cow! I'd have been more like £350 to change a consumer unit (that's 1 day plus materials and the assumption there were no other things that needed attention).

As I say.. have you paid them?

Have you got any paperwork from them in the form of an Electrical Installation Certificate?

Only a few words...

Shockingly bad, truly shocking.

Have you paid the person who did this? If not, do not until it is finished to an acceptable standard which that is not!
Totally agree with SC on this, a total cowboy lash up, hope you haven't paid this bloke yet, although by the tone of post you already have, any certificates issued? was the Herbert who did this registered with any Competent Persons Scheme, NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA, STROMA to name a few?

Last edited:
Just read the price... holy cow! I'd have been more like £350 to change a consumer unit (that's 1 day plus materials and the assumption there were no other things that needed attention).

As I say.. have you paid them?

Have you got any paperwork from them in the form of an Electrical Installation Certificate?

Hi, thanks for replying!
No, I have not paid yet as I was fairly confident that this was not good work. The electrition that did the work was self employed and did not issue any sort of paperwork. Any advice on where to go from here?
Thanks for replying!

as you have not paid as yet, then do not pay anything. get another sparks to check it over and give you a price to put it right, and estimate on what the job should have cost. then you have a good standpoint to argue with original spark. tbh, that abortion is worse than even a plumber would do.

Hi, thanks for replying!
No, I have not paid yet as I was fairly confident that this was not good work. The electrition that did the work was self employed and did not issue any sort of paperwork. Any advice on where to go from here?
Thanks for replying!

For the record... it was not an electrician who did this. It was a chancer who think's he 'can do electrics'.

Do not pay him, @telectrix is spot on, and I would possibly consider reporting him to trading standards as he should not be allowed to do this anywhere else.

Hi, thanks for replying!
Thanks for replying!
For one don't pay him, is there any way you can check out his registration, did he use a Van or did he use a private car, if a van was used did it have any decals on it saying if he was a member of any Scheme? if he isn't registered I guess your only option would be to go to Trading Standards and take advice from them, good jo you haven't paid up, if you speak to him, ask for an Electrical Installation Certificate EIC (as sparkychick mentioned) as technically the job isn't finished until a cert is issued, good luck, and sorry, welcome to the forum.

@Pete999

He is the owner of his company and I recall him saying he is not a member of any scheme. He told me that in Scotland it is not required. I also just looked at his website and it seems to have good reviews, but I don't see any badge or anything.

@Pete999

He is the owner of his company and I recall him saying he is not a member of any scheme. He told me that in Scotland it is not required. I also just looked at his website and it seems to have good reviews, but I don't see any badge or anything.
Thanks, the Trading Standards will be your best bet Issac, good luck please if you can let us know the outcome, can you give us a link to his web page?

reviews may be from his wife/girlfriend/
@Pete999

reviws mean nowt could be from wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/rab.c nesbitt.

OP could always pay my air fare and 5* hotel for me to come up to Glasgow and give a verdict. still have change from the £700.:D:D:D.

unfortunately, being an avid viewer of Aircrash Investigation, i will not fly in an aluminium coffin where some spotty young boil in the bag airline pilot sits up front. if i was piloting the contraption, at least if it crashed, it would be my own fault.

Hi, thanks for replying!
Thanks for replying!
Tell him to either get his butt back and sort it or get someone else to sort it and pay him for the materials only

Reply to Help needed to review quality of distributer box installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back