Discuss How do we make this job pay? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Agreed. I chose the apprenticeship route and feel i will be better for it. dont get me wrong....i`m all for folk trying to better themselves but its a case of "you signed the cert...you take the rap" and i think the ammendments to part p are long overdue......

certs and receipts will be few and far between with the 'part p electrician' as they like to advertise on their vans

your pricing is not making sense you say its two weeks for a rewire at £150 a day so thats £1500 are you paying £2k for materials then
they maintain a profit by getting the maths right

The point I'm trying to make is that £150/day is not enough to to cover overheads, expences and a living wage for a skilled trade. You take your car to a garage for servicing or repair and you'll pay alot more than that for labour. The figuers I've quoted are generalised examples. Here is a case study for you:

3 bed detached referb complete rewire.
parts = £1350 (this inatal called for 47 fire rated downlights, 28 double sockets on the ground floor, 16 sockets 1st floor)
commition on parts = £100
Labour = 12 days @ £150/day = £1800
test & commitioning = £50
quote total = £3,300

Th job was awarded to a quote of £2,450.

The point I'm trying to make is that £150/day is not enough to to cover overheads, expences and a living wage for a skilled trade. You take your car to a garage for servicing or repair and you'll pay alot more than that for labour. The figuers I've quoted are generalised examples. Here is a case study for you:

3 bed detached referb complete rewire.
parts = £1350 (this inatal called for 47 fire rated downlights, 28 double sockets on the ground floor, 16 sockets 1st floor)
commition on parts = £100
Labour = 12 days @ £150/day = £1800
test & commitioning = £50
quote total = £3,300

Th job was awarded to a quote of £2,450.

good luck with that !

Ive recently completed a 3 bed rewire (inhabited) with 19 additional double sockets!!! new dual rcd DB all certificated - £2150. Completed in 2 weeks, after parts and plastering around £1400. £700 per week labour which im happy with yes it was hard work, but theres a recession on and better to get the work than bury your head in the sand and moaning about how much you could charge before everyone was skint!

If you can get that sortof work on a regular basis then yes you can make a living at it. How many of these total rewire contracts do you get in a year? Once you've paid out for insurance, registration, bank charges, accountants fees etc. hoe much profit do you put in your pocket? As a limited company it costs me about £5000 per year in the above mentioned overheads without taking into account milage and time spent producing quotes and all the paperwprk involved. If you could do 1 rewire a month them you may stand a chance of breacking even. 2 rewires a month (and thats going some) you may even get to pay yourself a wage at those rates.
An average rewire is about £3500.00, that's £1500.00 for materials and £2000.00 labour. If you can crack it off in 2 weeks that's £25.00/hour which is not unreasonable as an hourly rate for a skilled worker when compared to for instance servicing or repairing your car which is on average £50.00/hour is it ?

.....which is send from a fixed premise, so they have the same overheads plus:
Council Tax,
Business rates,
heating, lighting and power,
buidlings insurance,
higher cost business insurance,
maintenanc costs,
cleaning etc.

I would like to think that these guys that are ridiculously under cutting will not last to long and they certainly wont be getting any repeat business. If you don't make enough on a job then you certainly don't want to be going back to fix all the faults that are caused by all the shortcuts taken. Good luck to the cheapskate homeowners as well, you get what you pay for I say.

I would like to think that these guys that are ridiculously under cutting will not last to long and they certainly wont be getting any repeat business. If you don't make enough on a job then you certainly don't want to be going back to fix all the faults that are caused by all the shortcuts taken. Good luck to the cheapskate homeowners as well, you get what you pay for I say.

they may not last long but there is a constant stream of new ones thinking they can do the job for next to nothing and leaving a trail of poor work behind them.

Reply to How do we make this job pay? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net