Discuss Industrial maintenance in the Electrical Forum Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

trigger1972

Hi there all
I'm new to these forums but hopefully I'm doing it right
I am after some advice as to is there any books that anyone can recommend on Industrial testing and Inspection and electrical maintenance . I have done 2391 so i have knowledge on testing but done only domestic and I find on-site guide , guidance note 3 etc tend to lean this way too
any help would be welcome
cheers trigger

Hi Trigger, although l can't answer your question, l find alot of info out by using youtube. If you search hard enough, then you tend to come across qualified people, who like to pass on their knowledge, such as learning lounge etc. Have you enquired with the IET, to see if they do any further publications for use with industrial? Might be worth a try...

To be brutally honest it takes a full apprenticeship to learn industrial maintenance and faultfinding. Then it’s time to start learning!
Before I decided to retire the plant I worked on was struggling to find an experienced maintenance guy so they took on an ex domestic guy who had done some industrial installation. He’d done inspection and testing but no fault finding in the situation he found him self. Myself along with the other plant electricians were fed up with the phone ringing at ungodly hours with cries of “HELP”.
If you can find a works that would take you on as a mate with the proviso that once you’ve proved yourself you will be made up grab the chance. All works will want you to spend time with an old hand just to find your feet.
We took on a couple of contract fitters (Polish) it developed in to a farce, the number of times I’d get a call on the radio from the plant manager “Tony have you lost a fitter”! I’d have to go and get him back. I don’t know where they learnt their fitting skills but it was a case of if it wont fit first time get the hammer, if it still doesn’t fit get a bigger hammer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there all
I'm new to these forums but hopefully I'm doing it right
I am after some advice as to is there any books that anyone can recommend on Industrial testing and Inspection and electrical maintenance.

First off... hello Trigger and welcome.

The best thing to do is ask questions here, be specific and offer as much info as you can! The better the question the better the answer... so ask away!

I've looked myself loads of time for info on industrial stuff. I like to hoard info so have loads of things I can post or link to. There's loads of vague info out there, or something close to what you're after but not near enough. A lot of the stuff you pick up in industry is only available when your in that environment, it will not be taught in college... someone will claim, on eBay, that they have the Holy Grail of industrial electrical maintenance on a DVD, but it'll be a load downloads off t'interweb plus flaky scans of electrical manuals!

So... what do you want to know first?
What are you working as/on currently?

regards
s.f

thanks for reply ,
there's a couple of thinks i can't get my head round mainly the lighting panels i'm sure it is like wiring a plug to some of you but just looks like wiring a space rocket to me.
there seems to be a 6A or 10A mcb for each circuit and a switch for each bank of lights, maybe 4-6 per bank some areas they are 200/250w high bays other areas 400w low bays each bank being a different cct .there maybe 10 ccts all meeting in a lighting control box with a daylight sensor all switched through contactors but i have been asked to wirr some new lighting in a new shed and dont want to sound thick. (suppose its industrial installation as opposed to maintenance)
the other thing i was wondering about is testing as in how to obtain Zs readings insulation resistance and r1+r2 theses are high up will i really need a cherry picker and have to disconnect fittings from cct for ins res and also visit every light for highest Zs etc

serves me right i suppose maybe should stick with what i know good old house bashing

How much testing have you actually done? There are certain limitations you can note on test sheets, but if your already fitting new lights, will you not already have a lifter? For IR purposes don't test between L-N, note it down as a limitation, or just test between E-L+N combined. Is it a PIR or are you just testing the circuits your installing?

What exactly are you asking about the lighting set up? How it works?

sorry maybe didnt make it obvious my fault, some lights are existing and some are going in new so having to test old installation ( although i have 2391, previous test experience domestic only , )
as for lighting set up not sure how it works or how to install may make me really thick ,but never wired a contactor before ( well apart from dol starter AM2 appprox 20yrs ago)

Sorry if question was badly explained .
I have an existing installation to test and a new installation to install but not really sure how to wire lights to contactor last time i came near one was dol starter AM2 20 yrs ago spent all my life doing domestic installation and testing

Hi trigger - Are you the only guy on the team, if not why not explain to one of the older hands your limitations and worries. Most guys will take you under their wing.

Never attempt anything you are unsure of just because you don't like to ask. I would rather feel embarrased than feel 415 volts. :)

thanks for reply yeah i am only member of team just manager to answer to 1st week of job i must have had a lucky interview i got disalussioned with house bashing went for a change

Sorry if question was badly explained .
I have an existing installation to test and a new installation to install but not really sure how to wire lights to contactor last time i came near one was dol starter AM2 20 yrs ago spent all my life doing domestic installation and testing

That's all a contactor is, a starter without the overload protection. Just connect the supply and the load to the contactors contacts positions, and the means of switching on and off to the coil contacts....

yeah but would you not need 10 contacters one for each bank of lights or am i missing something

How are the contactors being switched? You can get 4 pole contactors, so you can run 4 circuits through that contactor. Just depends if you want four lots switched on at once.

thats what i dont understand each bank of lights has its own switch on the existing installation so should there be a contactor for each for each bank of lights i have a photo of existing control box but dont understand it is there a way to put it up for people to view

Reply to Industrial maintenance in the Electrical Forum Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net