• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Landlord - Electrical Safety Certificate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

David Steel

Hi all,

I am a tenant in my sister's flat. She is my landlord.

She has her official 'Landlord Gas Certificate', which we get checked annually.

As far as a 'Landlords Electrical Certificate' goes, she did not have one. So we decided to get a registered, reputable local electrician in, to issue a certificate. This is what has happened:-

1) They came out to do a thorough check on the flat. They said:-

- the fuse/distribution box had to be changed;

- bathroom lights did not have the required IP rated lighting;

2) We agreed for them to carry the work, so that we could have a valid 'Electrical Safety Certificate';

3) They replaced the fuse/distribution box but they did NOT do the bathroom light work (they couldn't fit the lights that they brought along - this is another story). So they only charged us for the fuse/distribution box installation;

4) They have issued a 'Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate' which references 'Requirements for Electrical Installations - BS7671 IET Wiring Reglations' and it also has NAPIT logo on;

5) However the certificate in 4) ONLY refers to the installation of the fuse/distribution box, no where on the certificate does it mention electrical sockets, light switches within the flat;

6) The electrician assured me that this above certificate 'supersedes' any 'Landlord Electrical Safety Certificate', because the fuse/distribution box has extra safety circuitry and the certificate mentioned above covers my sister for her responsibilities as a landlord. The electrician also states this in an email to me.

First of all, we wanted a 'Landlord Electrical Safety Certificate. We haven't got that. We have got this 'Electrical Installation Certificate' which only details the installation he carried out, ie the fuse/distribution box.

If what he is saying is true, that this EIC cert supersedes any 'Landlord Electrical Safety Certificate', then happy days.

Is what he is saying true? Help me out here guys. Thank you.

An EIC and EICR are completely different, he should have issued you with both, EIC for changing the consumer unit and EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) for the 'landlord safety certificate'.

So he initially carried out no tests or inspection, just said fuse box needs replacing. Did he give any valid reasons for this.

there is no actual official "landlord's Safety Certificate" for electrical installations. what there is is an Electrical Installation Condition Report" ( EICR). this is what you would normally get after a full test/inspection. Ideally, you should have this in addition to what he's given you, but at present, there is no legal requirement. It should be noted on your certificate if there are any deviations from BS7671 (17th Ed.). Ideally thouhg, you should have both EIC and EICR, he would normally charge in the region of £200 for the EICR, in addition to the work he has carried out.

An EIC and EICR are completely different, he should have issued you with both, EIC for changing the consumer unit and EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) for the 'landlord safety certificate'.

Thank you. I am going to ask him if he done an EICR for the flat, and if not, why not.

So he initially carried out no tests or inspection, just said fuse box needs replacing. Did he give any valid reasons for this.

Thank you for your reply. To clarify, he did initially come to the flat and carried out inspections on the flat. He said the fuse box was very old and a new box would meet todays expected regulations.

However, I did not get any report / paperwork / certificate for this initial inspection.

just as a note.the bathroom lights IP rating depends on whether or not they are within Zone1 or zone 2. a lot of sparks miis out the fact that if the ceiling is > 2.25m above floor level, then they are outside zones unless directly above the bath/shower.

Thank you for your reply. To clarify, he did initially come to the flat and carried out inspections on the flat. He said the fuse box was very old and a new box would meet todays expected regulations.

However, I did not get any report / paperwork / certificate for this initial inspection.
did he charge for that initial inspection?

What should have happened was that he carry out an Electrical Inspection Condition Report which he should have then sent a copy to your sister. This Report would then itemize any issues which are Coded to indicate their priority at which point it could be discussed with him any remedial works which were required and the financial cost. He should explain the possible ramifications of not having remedial works done because saying a fuse box is old and a new one would meet current Regulations is not good enough.

there is no actual official "landlord's Safety Certificate" for electrical installations. what there is is an Electrical Installation Condition Report" ( EICR). this is what you would normally get after a full test/inspection. Ideally, you should have this in addition to what he's given you, but at present, there is no legal requirement. It should be noted on your certificate if there are any deviations from BS7671 (17th Ed.). Ideally thouhg, you should have both EIC and EICR, he would normally charge in the region of £200 for the EICR, in addition to the work he has carried out.

Thanks for this reply.

When I first contacted him, I specifically told him what I wanted, which was a certificate for my sister which gives her peace of mind as a landlord.

I have got it in text and email me requesting a 'Landlord Electrical Safety' certificate. I was aware that there was probably no official certificate which had such a name, but I was hoping I would get the equivalent (I'm not in the electrical business, so I don't know all the different types of certificate). We definitely have not recived a EICR, which basically is what we requested.

just as a note.the bathroom lights IP rating depends on whether or not they are within Zone1 or zone 2. a lot of sparks miis out the fact that if the ceiling is > 2.25m above floor level, then they are outside zones unless directly above the bath/shower.

Many thanks for this info.

I can confirm the spotlights are 2.3m from floor to ceiling. However, they are also above the bath/shower and this is less than 2.25m.

Many thanks for this info.

I can confirm the spotlights are 2.3m from floor to ceiling. However, they are also above the bath/shower and this is less than 2.25m.

Yes he did. He charged £100.

I wasn't in at the time of the inspection, I had someone awaiting him at the flat so he could carry out the inspection. There were two of them, and I'm told they were at the flat for a few hours and were very thorough.

I was told that I would receive a certificate for this inspection, which I never got. I was told that the EIC for the fuse/distribution installation would supersede everything.

Yes he did. He charged £100.

I wasn't in at the time of the inspection, I had someone awaiting him at the flat so he could carry out the inspection. There were two of them, and I'm told they were at the flat for a few hours and were very thorough.

I was told that I would receive a certificate for this inspection, which I never got. I was told that the EIC for the fuse/distribution installation would supersede everything.

then those need changing to IP44 or better. if it were me, i'd measure the holes first so as to be able to replace easily with the same size ( or at worst, enlarge the holes if necessary).

Reply to Landlord - Electrical Safety Certificate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back